1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Upcoming Movies You Want To See?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by STS05, May 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Fanatic, curious if you've watched either The Mandalorian or Raised by Wolves? Both are really good, in my opinion. I loved Dune when I read it in the 70's, and am looking forward to the new iteration. The one with Sting was absolutely horrendous and basically unwatchable. I think this new version could be very good, because the story is so great.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Disney plus, so havent watched the Mandalorian yet. I have heard good things. It looks like a pretty standard sci fi western, but that's not a bad thing. I like Raised by Wolves til the end. I will watch the next season, though.

I have to defend the Lynch version of Dune! I mean, its a mess. But an intrguing mess. The first hour and a half is pretty good. Then they seemed to realize they had less than an hour to cover the remaining three quarters of the book, lol. So the back half of the film really got compressed. Stiil, how often do you get to hear Toto score a sci fi film????

The early buzz is that this new version is very good. I have heard that the film will only cover half the first book and end when Paul takes his Fremen name (which is a big moment in the book, but a complete throw away scene in the compressed Lynch film). Great director, really good cast, and a big budget for the effects. I am obviously highly anticipating it

I Need Spa
  3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's a wise move. A book like that really can't be absorbed in a two-hour movie. One of the greatest directors of all time, Elia Kazan, realized that when he began to film Steinbeck's East of Eden. He decided to only focus on the last quarter of that book with excellent results. Of course, it probably made it easy for Kazan to limit the movie to that section when he discovered James Dean could really act.

Yep, Mandalorian, not unlike a quick western half-hour show such as Have Gun Will Travel or the early Gunsmoke. Tight plots and lots of action with an endearing lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Originally, Herbert wrote the first three books in the series as one giant opus, but the publisher split it up into three books. Dune is so dense in terms of concepts and ideas contributing to its world building, I agree that you cannot tell the story of the first book in just one film. All three books? Forget it! SyFy channel did a decent job twenty years ago of creating a mini series that covered all three books, but even in that format it only scratched the surface of what was in the novels

I Need Spa
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Top Gun Maverick and James Bond

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been back to the movies twice since Covid, I’ve seem F9 and Black Widow. I’m now looking forward to the next MCU movies, and Bond.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Read a couple of positive reviews today, one for Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) and Stillwater with Matt Damon. Both reviews written by Mick LaSalle, longtime critic for the SF Chronicle and a critic whose opinion I trust.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stillwater...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. STS05

STS05 Onward

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really want to see Stillwater but our theater is still really goofy with showings and times. Last week, I was able to see Black Widow finally (great movie, IMO) because they had a 7:15pm showing. The week before it was either 1pm, 4pm, or 9:30pm. This week, they had 4 of the screens tied up with Jungle Cruise and for Stillwater, it was either a 2pm or 9:55pm showing.

10. Gus

Gus High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no need for movie theaters, movies are up and available same day or in 2 weeks. much better experience, no crowds, no coughing, no sneezing, no worrying, no over priced food/drinks, can pause , restart rewind and watch at my leisure.

sadly i don't see many theater chains lasting much longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    John Wick 4, and The Ballerina spinoff.

12. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cant wait for the Many Saints of Newark.

Also Stillwater and Suicide Squad

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Card Counter. It seems to be a pretty good story but a lot of my motivation stems from serving as a paid extra in the scenes they shot while portraying the main character playing in the World Series of Poker. All those scenes were shot down here in Biloxi. Most of my use was as either (A) a poker player playing in the WSOP or (B) a spectator watching the hero playing in the WSOP. It was a lot of fun being on a movie set for three days and seeing the inner workings of making movies. Spoiler - there is a whole lot more setting the scene up than actual filming. Tiffany Haddish was the female lead and I sat two feet away from her (next seat to the right) in one scene and directly behind her in another scene. We were both watching the hero play in those scenes. Those are the two scenes of mine most likely to make it past editing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. VideoPokerNerd

VideoPokerNerd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Star Wars episode X"

Out in December 2022...maybe?

"Maiden Vegas" UP THE IRONS!
    1st time at Luxor
  15. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope one day a DC movie can have a Decent villain in it

16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dune. Oct 22.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This works for me... Says the guy who tears up every damn time he watches when Han Solo being killed by his son.

Coming in Earlier, Who Does That???
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been keeping a list of my viewing habits for about 2 years.
    During the 2020 lock-down I was watching up to 2 movies a night.
    Also included TV series but I'm not counting individual episodes...
    Just the Series Title. Total count is: 609

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  19. gadgets19

gadgets19 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up on this one. Looks good, but usually anything from Paul Schrader is worth seeing.

I saw it last time I was in Vegas at the Orleans. Loved it, although the plot gets a little confused at the end. Damon excellent, but the best character in the movie was the city of Marseille.

Not sure I'll get in a movie when I'm there this weekend—too much football.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.