1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Retro's “A place in the Sun” – July 11-14th with spec. guest, Mr. @Ardee

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Retrobabble, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retrobabble

Retrobabble CVF #37500: Director of Fun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess how much Lyft and Uber wanted for Mr. Ardee and I to transport ourselves from Resorts World to Wynn? Go on, guess.

$28.65. :blink:

Leading news story this morning: locals frustrated with lack of available transportation. Hard to get into work.

Not sure I know what the answer is, but I suspect that the limousine companies are very happy for the non-locals business

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have this same picture too, probably for the same reasons. I love the history of Las Vegas, and finding the little hidden gems that spell it out. Thank you for taking the time to include it on your TR! :beer:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has definitely not been business as usual on the transportation front. We stayed at Virgin and went to the Resorts World opening, and I think the Lyft was $20? We spent time at RW and then meandered all the way down to my beloved Dirty Bird before catching a cab from there back to Virgin (3am?). I think the cab from Flamingo to Virgin was $12?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This afternoon has been a bit of slow rolling, and wandering around, and not trying to spend the rest of my bank roll.

I went to Wazuzu for lunch which is always tasty and played few fun games.

I’m ready to go home, but not ready to go back to work. It’s a beautiful afternoon in Vegas.
    image.jpg

There’s a couple cocktails in my future this evening, and potentially some dessert. Because there’s no calories in Vegas, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m sure there’s enough time to have this. It’s 106 outside and it feels glorious. I’ve been inside in air-conditioning all day and I’m a little chilly.

C349FF1A-53EB-4D2B-9A71-75A2BC0B649A.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
    • Love Love x 6
  6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great stuff you two! Glad you got back to Vegas Mr. @ardee!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good morning VMB’ers! Today’s the last day.

My ritual for at least seven years has been to finish my last day at Terrace Pointe Café. Today I didn’t get a very great view of the pool as usual, but that’s because service is limited again, and also the patio is full.

By the way, they have the best steel-cut oatmeal. Just saying.

Thoughts on the trip? I don’t think we all understand how much money Vegas lost last year. Cost cutting measures even at Wynn, although subtle—lotions are gone from the bathroom basket and turn down service still doesn’t happen without a call. They also stopped replacing the scent every day. (Just noticing, not disappointed. That would require a level of “me me me” that I hope I don’t have.)

And also, I don’t think we realize how many service folks we also lost to Covid. I remember reading about a long term valet at Caesars Palace there for something like 30 years and one year away from his retirement, gone. And talking with the various service people and taxi drivers, everyone here has a story of friends and coworkers also gone. I was grateful to be able to be here. And I hope I can return at Christmas.

Backend comps this time around: All food and my room upgrades comped, with the exception of Cipriani’s which is not part of Wynncore (neither is La Cave, so you know .)

And now coffee. My flight leaves about noon and I think I’m ready to go home. Thanks for coming along!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Love Love x 10
    • Like Like x 8
  8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for taking us along. Safe travels! See you at Christmas.

• Love Love x 1
  9. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonderful report. Depending on how long your stay is I hope to meet you during the holidays as well. I'll be arriving either late Christmas night or the following day.

• Like Like x 2
  10. B Diddy

B Diddy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Retrobabble, I absolutely LOVED your trip report! The history, pics, and your awesome attitude and unique storytelling style made this so enjoyable. Thank you!! Can’t wait for your next one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR Retro Thanks. Loved the Sands stayed there in 1993.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, one last photo. This is the most beautiful part of Wynn and Encore, the Villa and Tower Suites entrance. It’s also nice and cool. Smells lovely too. C47A5BB5-E35F-4C73-B145-DB8634061AD7.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 8
  13. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You kids are too cool. Love the idea of glamming it up 50’s style. If I knew where and when I would dress up and crash your party

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in if you are. Christmas!

* Copa Girls Sands Las Vegas 1950s.jpg

Oh, wait.... :D

*Copa Girls, "Where's Ace?" show number, 1950s

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just read this over morning coffee, what a way to start my day. Guest appearance by @ardee made me smile. Thank you!

Love the retro pics. Also love the idea of dressing up ‘50’s style. Cocktails at either Dorsey or Rosina at V/P sounds appropriate for this.

Never knew about the Rat Pack footprints. Definitely on my list to go see in November.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Retrobabble

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the links! I haven't tried either one of the bars and now I want to, after I'm home. That would be a fun Xmas get-together of VMB'ers!

• Love Love x 1
  17. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love this idea. Christmas in Vegas, that would make it 3 Christmases non family. I could always tell them if they need to see me at Christmas they could come to Vegas

• Like Like x 1
  18. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty much what I tell my family. :haha: I absolutely love seeing Vegas all dressed up for Christmas! :santa:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Final Food Report and General Wrap-Up:

Bouchon - Almost perfection. Some slight bobbles on the service, but they are getting back into things like the rest of us. Good coffee, great Bloodies, croissants that shatter like spun sugar...so much to like. Pastries and bacon are just enough to keep you full all day without killing your appetite for dinner.

Brera Osteria - John Curtas calls this place the best Italian joint in the city. I believe him. Strong, innovative cocktails, superb service, house-made pasta and an eye to detail. The wild boar sugo tasted of the countryside and the squash blossoms burst with cheesy goodness.

Terrace Point Cafe - Wynn has the best stock Bloody on the Strip, bar none. Great selection of breakfast items get me prepped every time I eat here.

Cipriani - The langoustine tasted a touch of iodine, probably from the place they fed. The sole was perfectly cooked with a buttery caper sauce. The salad was perfection in its simplicity. Great bartender and wonderful staff.

The company was the best I could hope for and I rolled out of Vegas fat and happy. Hope everybody enjoyed following along.

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. BobLasVegas

BobLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report! Love the old, and new pics!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.