1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How is Vegas now?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by K-9treatbaker, Jul 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello All,

I would like to know how Las Vegas is now, in regards to lines for check in, either via the front desk or an app? Are lines long for restaurants? Are reservations still needed, even for the lower end places? Anyone been to the Bally's Pool or the Luxor pool? Crowded or not so much. We are early morning pool people, if at all, and only stay for about a couple hours max.

I have changed the dates of our original vacation, which was to take place in Oct., then Sept. and now I am seriously thinking the first week of August. Okay, I know how hot it is, used to live in Laughlin. LOL I also know I'm a french fry short of a happy meal, going in August. LOL

But, my husband's cardiologist gave him some good news a few days ago, regarding his heart and breathing. When I asked her if he was okay to travel, she said absolutely, since we are fully vaccinated. Even Vegas. LOL

Since we have been no where for like a year and half, I'm chomping at the bit to go my happy place. So is hubby. The first week of August, is what we are looking at, due to several Dr. appts. for follow ups the end of August.

We will be there Sun,-Thurs. I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone that has recently visited Vegas.

Looking at staying either at Bally's or Luxor.

Thank you for any comments.

• Like Like x 4
  2. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very busy, Sun-Thurs won't be as bad unless there's an event/conference. Luxor had a lot of people for some sort of volleyball tournament on our visit.

Check-in lines can be very long, lines seemed to fluctuate at Luxor. We checked in early around 11 and there was almost nobody line. Later big lines. Online check-in works if not fussy about the room.
    Mornings were fairly quiet until maybe 11, early lines at Starbucks.
    I didn't think it seemed as crowded/"messy" around and in Luxor compared to the center strip and Bally's area.
    A lot of the moving sidewalks to/from Excalibur weren't on, the tram is running on a limited schedule.

We had to wait 30min for a table at Public House last Thursday night, reservations are a good idea. Had a reservation for lunch Friday at Diablos, but probably could have walked in. Would not have been able to eat at Lupo Sat night without a reservation. They were turning people away.

Good that your husband is doing better and you are vaccinated. Consult with your physicians whether they recommend you wear a mask. Almost nobody did in on our visit to LV last week.

It was very hot, especially in the sun. Was nice to be able to walk inside to properties next to Luxor.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am just finishing up a trip (Sun to Sat). Staying at the Vdara.

I can say that Vegas is very busy even Sun through Thursday.

Lines are long for a lot of restaurants if you are trying to walk in. I would highly recommend reservations to avoid that headache. Waits can be 1 hour plus for walk ins.

Check in is generally well managed since it tends to be spread out but a lot of hotels, especially MLife properties are pushing either kiosks or using the app to check in (the app didn't really work or let me log in).

Check out can be a mess, especially around 10am/11am.

Valet can be a mess. On Tuesday, it took ~40 minutes to get my car from the valet due to the large number of people requesting their cars around 11am.

The weather is brutal. 110s in the afternoon. High 90s in the morning.

The main issues I have run into:
    Places are still short staffed in all areas (Housekeeping, valet, etc) even though the volume of people is back to pre pandemic levels in my eyes.

Some restaurants/cafes are not back to their pre pandemic hours. For example, Starbucks in Vdara is closed Monday and Tuesday even though there are a ton of people in the hotel.

I suspect this will improve as the weeks pass.

I'm hoping the Delta variant doesn't throw a wrench into things though.

Most people are maskless. A large number of staff is maskless.

I was walking through the Bellagio and Mirage earlier this week and it was as busy as I have ever seen it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luxor pool was very accessible on Wednesday when we had a cabana. All the cabanas were taken by about 10am, but there were free chairs available all day. Shade was somewhat of a necessity though unless you are popping out from the room, staying 10 minutes, and leaving. Or if you are fireproof. I otherwise agree with most of what @Anonymous said. I'm on a plane right now waiting to depart Vegas, been here since Sunday, and I and @luck.ofthe.draw both have some pictures from our pool day at Luxor. I was there at opening to check in to cabana and there were about 50 people in line. That line disappeared in about 30 seconds when they opened the gate, and the area can hold hundreds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your input. We are still on the fence about going, but I am wondering if staying downtown would be better or worse than the strip. I know it would be better for the walking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are worried about crowds I'd consider waiting until at least the very end of August or later. No guarantees, but kids are usually back to school by then which should thin crowds a little. Also make sure you avoid "big event" days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never thought about the kid thing. Very good advice. I will have to check on what is going on around the end of August, first of Sept.

8. INABIAL

INABIAL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sun-Thurs you should be OK. Weekends are the real sh**tshow right now. By mid-day Sunday the crowds thin out and weekdays are pretty mellow crowd-wise compared to weekends. Be advised not everything is open on weekdays like it used to be, if you have places you love to go check hours beforehand.

Check in lines for Luxor are usually always epic no matter when you go, try to use mobile check in if you can to avoid them.

9. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is an update: We have decided to take the advice of others that replied, and we are going to go the end of August or the first part of Sept.

Now, I have checked room rates for downtown, the first two weeks Before Life is Beautiful Event and room rates seem a bit high. Have I missed another event/convention that may be in town the first part of Sept? I still need to check the last week of August, but think Sept. may be a bit better for crowds, slightly cooler, etc. Who knows? And of course I have no comps for rooms downtown. LOL

Hubby would prefer to stay downtown, since walking is a concern. And I did see where the Plaza has scooter rentals, but I cannot find any information on what they rent for, or if you need to be a guest of the hotel, to rent them. Anyone happen to know rental fee's etc. for scooters at the Plaza?

I really appreciate all of the input and comments from everyone. I hope I am not driving anyone crazy on here. My husband says I am driving him crazy. LOL

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    September is when NFL season starts, though, and we don't really know how that's going to impact the crowds.

Overall, it's busy. Reservations aren't "required", but I'd still recommend it; it's trivial to make a reservation, and just as trivial to cancel it if your plans change.
    Regarding staff, at least at the major resorts, they're only permitted to go maskless if they've been fully vaccinated, provided documentation to HR, and received formal approval. And I still know plenty of staff who wear one anyway. I'll agree that most people have been going without, but just by my casual observation, it seems like it's on an upward trend. I for one still wear one all the time, though I'm fully vaccinated.

11. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They used to go through Scooterbug and I believe those rates are the same as quoted on the website. You can go through any rental place and have it delivered to any place downtown, including the Plaza. However, if you are staying and playing at Plaza it would definitely behoove you to rent it through them as they have the ability to shred the contract and comp it. It's a VERY easy comp to get or at least it was pre-pandemic.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info on the scooter rental. Very helpful

• Like Like x 1
  13. JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Renting a scooter is the way to go! So easy to be able to go anywhere downtown! Then, if you plan to go to a strip property, possibly ask the Plaza to borrow a wheelchair, as it's easier to fit in a car/taxi vs a scooter, and use the wheelchair for mobility purposes on the strip. Scooterbug also rents wheelchairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.