1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Old fishermen never die (They just smell that way)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by westexrancher, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm alone 80 miles off shore with a broken wrist, almost certain my hip is broken, and probably a concussion.
    Back story: we finished up all our seafood orders by Thursday afternoon. My son and grandson caught the last flight home as we all Usually do. This weekend I decided to take a trip out on my boat alone to catch shrimp and crabs for a friend's fundraiser Sunday. I've made probably 50 trips alone over the years and expected this trip to be same as before.
    Nope, I'm old! So, about 10 pm tonight I finish up and start scrubbing the deck and equipment all the while looking forward to a relaxing 8 hr steam back to my dock. I slip on soap and crash head first into my picking table knocking myself out. When I come to I have blood running out of my ear, a bone trying to poke thru my wrist and my hip no longer works. I now crawl 40 feet to get in the cabin not to mention the stairs up to the pilot house. I call the Coastguard give them my location and direction of travel, they want to send a rescue chopper, I refuse. They are calling me every 30 minutes now. I have autopilot and the boat knows the way home.
    I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to stay mentally awake because I still have 4 hr to go.
    On a lighter note, I had to pee awhile ago and it's really hard to get everything where it needs to View attachment 185287

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Wow! Wow! x 14
  2. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy cow! I am not sure what to say other than I hope you to get to shore soon and safely. Please don’t be so proud that you don’t accept the coast guard’s help. I know from previous posts that you speak fondly of your wife, children, and grandchildren. They need you with them. Wishing you all the best!
    Dan and Brenda

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is in panic mode, but I'm gonna make it I think. She called a friend of ours and he's gonna meet at the dock, tie up my boat and get me off this damn thing. I do have to admit to feeling like a foolish old man.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang in there @westexrancher ! Amazed you are still able to post. I hope you aren’t in too much pain.

5. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok our thoughts are most definitely with you and your family! As far as feeling foolish, now isn’t the time nor place. Get home safely and then that part takes care of itself (speaking as a wife who has been married almost 26 years). We will all be here as needed to keep you going through this

• Like Like x 1
  6. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also if you have an inner ear injury it can completely throw your balance off. Please try not to use any ladder wells if it can be avoided. I’m sure you know all this but sometimes we all need a reminder

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd hug a porcupine for a couple tylenol, there down stairs in the galley and I ain't doing that again.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to crawl up 8 stairs to get in my wheelhouse I'm not moving till I get back to shore.

9. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I don't focus on something my thoughts start to wonder.

10. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey if it helps to keep posting then pls do so. Dh and I both have 32 yrs combined military experience and you’re absolutely right-focusing on something else is always helpful. Mind over matter does work. Even if it’s as something as trivial as posting here

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly, I'm struggling to keep alert, this helps . My mind wants me to give in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So on a lighter note, I’ve never been able to enjoy the head/eyes of shrimp. My friends tell me I’m missing the best part. Eh I’ll stick to the tails

13. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah I can go on and on about things, trust me on that (Dan can vouch for that as well). Your VMB friends are here for more than just gambling stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So if you don’t mind me asking what drew you to the sea? I originally grew up in Wisconsin and I’m not sure why when I first saw the ocean I felt drawn to it. And yes, I’m over sharing cuz in this instance I think it calls for it. Just trying to keep you distracted

• Love Love x 1
  15. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I boil the m head on then peal them and up shel and heads back in water for a couple hy= abd save that for Boling nudes.

16. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy crap, that last message wasn't brain damage. I tried typing with a ✏.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in a little fart of a town call Paris TX. My dad bought a vacation home in Galveston right on the beach. I've been in love with the sea ever since.

18. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok was trying to decipher it, took it to mean you make a stock out of it. Yeah seafood stock is delicious and worth the effort. First time I did a volunteer project in the Navy was in Meridian MS and it was crawfish boil. Never knew what mud bugs were prior to that. Gotta love learning about new things

19. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ELyKvelWwAIb3kU.jpg

• Love Love x 3
  20. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.