1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Restaurant and cut to turn me in to a steak lover?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by drfaust, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always been "meh" on steak -- probably because my dad used to get the cheapest cuts of meat possible and then grill them into oblivion so that they were basically carbon husks. That experience has always stayed with me.

I do love a good hamburger, so I know I've got it in me to love steak, but I'm guessing I just haven't had the right experience yet. I'm looking to change that on my trip next week.

I know very very little about steak cuts... I've been doing some reading and it sounds like either a filet or a ribeye might be good cuts to try, but I'm open to suggestions. I guess the filet is tender but not necessarily super flavorful or juicy because it isn't very marbled? And the ribeye is going to be more flavorful because of the marbling, but maybe not as tender? Is that on the right track?

And medium rare, because I don't want to re-live the burnt steak experiences of my youth.

And I'm going to be at the Encore, so I was thinking I'd try SW. It seems to get good marks here on VMB, but is fairly pricey (but maybe it's a good place to use my food credit). Or are there other places in short walking distance from the Wynncore (maybe at V/P) that I should check out instead?

Also, bearnaise or no bearnaise? I'm guessing there will be hot opinions on this one. :D

tl;dr: I'm ready to become a steak lover, and want to get the best bang for my taste buds next week! :feedme:

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bavette's at Park MGM. 16 oz. bone-in filet, medium rare, naked. It don't need no sauce!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually like the béarnaise sauce at Mon Ami Gabi, but otherwise I would never taint my steak with any kind of sauce. I lived for many years in a part of California which takes barbecuing beef very seriously. I am most partial to Top Sirloin, but Filet is good and I can always settle for a ribeye. I rarely ever get a steak in Vegas because it won't compare to the restaurants I love best in Cali. I did have the Steak and Pomme Frites at MAG a while back and I enjoyed it, but, like I said, putting sauce on steak is not my usual option.

4. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is more important to you as an eater in general: texture or flavor? Filet will have better texture, ribeye will have better(well, stronger) flavor. Bone in adds more flavor to either party. For an "authentic" steak experience, medium rare and no sauce is generally considered the "best" option. But @!#$ it. If you like sauce, get sauce. If seeing red makes you see red, then get it more cooked. I'd avoid well done as that's leather territory, but medium is just fine for many.

As for where, I'm personally partial to Jean George's at Aria, but I also have Resort Credit that covers the meal. I haven't tried SW myself, but have heard good things. I'd say to avoid Ruth's Chris (even though I'll get some hate for saying that) but the butter topping takes away from the steakiness, and in my mind means the steak hasn't been properly rested. If you want, give it a go for steak # 2 or 3, but I'd skip it for your first go based on your goal.

If you find that you do like steak, try different options. There are plenty of options beyond ribeye and filet (although I'd agree with starting there). You can also get into dry aged, or, if you have a bunch of $$ to throw around Wagyu.

And if you don't like steak after this experience, !@#$ it. Nothing says you have to. Hell, despite my general food snobiness, I freely admit to loving me some Steak Ums :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome. This is great info!

I can relate to your last point -- I can do foie gras and oysters, and then snarf a bag of cheetos in the same day.

I think I've got to at least try the bearnaise, cuz... I keep reading it's traditional? But I'll def get it on the side so that I can use/dip as I see fit.

Noted on Jean George's -- I'll be staying at the Aria this fall and will give it a go then if this week's experience turns me on to steak generally.

I ate at a Ruth's Chris once... but I didn't get steak. I was along for the ride when some friends wanted to go there for happy hour. I was still in the "steak sucks cuz it's burnt and tastes like awful leather" phase based on my experiences growing up.

And thanks for the info on what bone-in does. Never really understood why the cuts were offered as bone-in or boneless.

One reason the filet sounds appealing is because you can get it in smaller portions... leaves more room for sides to go along with the meat.

And I think Wagyu would be lost on me at this point. I need some experience under my belt before it's worth shelling out the dough for that one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are both steak lovers, but I have no specific advice on Vegas steakhouses.

As far as cuts go, for both of us, it comes down to two: ribeye or New York strip. The ribeye has a smoother texture but more mild flavor. The strip has a texture that's more traditionally steak-like, and has a much beefier flavor vs the ribeye. Both of us enjoy each, but we have our individual preferences. My wife prefers the ribeye, I prefer the strip.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rib Cap at Old Homestead!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to recommend Herbs&Rye on W Sahara. Get yourself a strip and enjoy the great ambience and cocktails.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wagyu Rib Cap (medium rare of course) at Gordon Ramsay Steak is pretty solid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure how SW Steakhouse and Lakeside (in the Wynn) are after the Executive Chef David Walzog left, but if it's stayed the same, either of them is a great place to eat at. Delmonico Steakhouse in the Palazzo is also worth a try - get their ribeye steak medium rare, and you should be good to go.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can’t make a restaurant recommendation, but I like a good porterhouse as it has both the strip and tenderloin. The best of both worlds plus the flavor is better as you get closer to the bone.

As for cheap cuts grilled at home, we grew up on London Broil which can be from the round or shoulder. I marinate for an hour or two and tenderize it with this device below. Grill it medium and let it rest a bit, then slice it on the bias. It won’t be tenderloin, but it’s about 1/3 the cost of fillet mignon and good for a big family. My father in law grew up on a farm and always ordered his steaks well done accompanied by a bottle of Heinz ketchup. There’s no accounting for taste, but he could not take the slightest pink color in his meat. On the other hand, we had everything medium rare to medium.

8C3AD80E-9788-47FF-9FF9-41A18C4FF6F6.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  12. justaguy

justaguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you’ve never eaten a steak to your liking, I would strongly suggest filet mignon with no sauce at all for your first time. I would also suggest you order it medium rather than medium/rare.

As with many things in life, steak is an acquired taste. If you go all in for a wagyu ribeye rare, you might think it is too strong or the extra marbleness may turn you off. Even the “regular” ribeye will have a lot of fat you may not like at first.

As with the sauces, they will kind of “hide” and mix the meat flavor. They are good - I love bérnaise - but not the real experience.

SW would be fine for this. Great ambience, solid steak. You are right that it is a bit pricey. Gordon Ramsay Steak in Paris is very nice as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a properly prepared steak. That said, asking someone to teach you to appreciate steak is a bit like asking someone to teach you to appreciate smoking cigarettes. Be careful what you wish for as it is a costly and not particularly healthful activity. Hopefully less addictive.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I came here to basically say this. If you don't like a medium cooked filet mignon then your quest for an enjoyable steak is probably never going to end the way you hope for it to. A medium cooked filet mignon may not be what you ultimately end up favoring down the line if you find that you enjoy a good steak afterall, but it's the Toyota Camry of steaks. It gets the job done. Good enough flavor, good texture, good price, just enough food quantity unless you're a really heavy eater and hard for most places to mess up. With that said, I've had a bland one before, particularly at a Ruth's Chris down here in FL (I've been to Ruth's Chris twice and really don't enjoy it much and would never go back again), but if you're going to Jean Georges or SW Steakhouse then you'll be fine. I've enjoyed them both and you'll really enjoy Jean Georges bread! Based on your location you can also consider Delmonico at V/P if distance is a factor. Andiamo's downtown at The D has a great filet as well, and you can get it with a delicious lobster tail which is even better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you’re going to give it another shot.

I can’t speak to the meat quality at that end of the strip. But go with the bone-in ribeye. It’s flavourful. If done right…awesome!!! NO SAUCE…..LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking about this, and had another thought that may work for you. A Brazilian steakhouse. The meats are spit roasted instead of the traditional steak cooking methods, so it's not exactly what you'll get at a steakhouse, but it will allow you to try a variety of different cuts, at a much lower price point than a SW or Jean George's. And if you don't like any of them, there's plenty of other food to have.

Looks like one opened in the Fashion Show mall right by Encore, Galpao Gaucho. Again, it's not steak in the traditional sense, but they'll have Filet, Sirloin, ribeye, and a special cut called Picanha they serve at Brazillian steakhouses which I personally love. For your purpose of "do I like this" it may work well, especially since if the answer is "no" there's plenty of other options included.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good info. I had read that the NY strips tend to be a bit on the chewy side, hence why I've been leaning toward a ribeye. I think the smoother texture will be what I'm looking for for my first steak experience since the steak-atrocities of my youth -- so sounds like filet or ribeye are still on the right track!

Thanks! I've read a lot of good stuff on VMB about Delmonico's too, and Palazzo is just across the street so easy walking distance. I'll put it on the list and check out the menu.

Curious why medium over medium rare? When I've gotten burgers cooked medium, then tend to be fully brown all the way through -- but then again, these weren't top notch gastro-inspired burger joints. So it might have just been inexperienced/shoddy cookmanship. But I was thinking medium rare might be softer? Do note: I've had a good bit of tartare in my life and I'm ok with red meat (I put tartare in a different category than "steak," hence why I don't count it toward my steak experience).

As for pricey, I guess that's what food comps are for. I should just get over the price. I mean, I'm gambling enough to get room and food comps at Encore. :p I shouldn't sweat the $100 steak price if it means a great experience!

Oh great idea! I have been to a Brazilian steakhouse before!! I never got "slab of steak" though -- always something sliced for me at the table. And I loved it every time! So much choice... like a buffet of amazingly seasoned meats with all the side fixin's!

But I'm going to be solo on this trip -- I feel like Brazilian steak houses are best as shared experiences. I was thinking I'd plop myself at the bar top, get a good glass of wine, eat my meat, and enjoy the amazing people watching. I'm an introvert and totally dig eating at the bartop alone!

Also, I've hard tartare several times and love it! But I consider that to be a totally separate thing from "steak."

I remember one time ordering at a meal I was having with my mom, who is absolutely horrified by the concept of sushi. So... imagine her surprise when a plate of sliced up raw beef with a raw egg on top shows up. Her face was priceless.:wiggle:

18. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh... and another reason I want this one to be an amazing steak experience: my other half is a vegetarian. haha. I totally am allowed to eat meat at home, but I generally don't (but will frequently get something with meat in it when we eat out).

So, on my solo Vegas voyage, I want to eat the living !#%@ out of some meat :feedme:

19. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The strip is definitely more chewy, but in my opinion the flavor more than makes up for it. But hey, I still like a good ribeye too.

20. NWAKALUM08

NWAKALUM08 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up the EXACT same way. All my friends would tell me their favorite food was steak. I always thought it was tough and chewy. Well come to find out when I started to have a better appreciation for food as I got older, my parents would pretty much burn their steaks. My mother only eats "Well Well Done" steaks. We would typically have sirloin or strips. So of course those two were much more chewy. But I finally found out to cook my own around 130-135 before taking of the grill for a nice Medium Rare.

As for cut, I agree with the crowd on saying a Filet is the easiest and safest choice to go with. As for me, I love a Ribeye for the marble and flavor. If you were to get a high end cut of ribeye with tons of marbled fat, it may be a tad to rich for someone that isn't as versed with their own beef preferences.

Honestly, ANYTHING you are going to get from SW or any other Vegas steakhouse will rock your world compared to this type of past experience.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.