1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you have too much stuff?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by phade, Jun 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a major purging when I sold my old house in 2015, after my dad passed away and I moved into a new condo. It was my parents old house that we had for decades. Needless to say, moving to a 2 bedroom/2 bath/1500 sq ft condo from a big 2-story house, I couldn't begin to move and store all the stuff that accumulated over the years including all the junk that my parents had stashed away in the attic, closets, and whatnot. LOL I donated a lot stuff and had to hire a hauler to carry away the junk that needed to be thrown out. I also sold all of my gardening/lawn equipment/snowblower, etc. to various neighbors, since I would no longer need them at the condo.

After being in my condo for slightly over 5 yrs now, I haven't accumulated too much junk. I still have plenty of storage space, but I have a couple of dead TV sets that I should take to the recyclers. They're too big/heavy to move myself, so they've been sitting in my storage room collecting dust for awhile now. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luckily, after my last divorce I was sent fleeing into the night, never to return.

At first I was bummed, but then I realized all the stuff I had been moving over the years would never be missed.

3. gadgets19

gadgets19 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My t-shirt with the logo for the 1997 Southern Alberta Summer games says pfft...

Even for good clothes my closets are stuffed. Purge definitely on the horizon.

4. Tykob

Tykob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty funny that at the top of this thread is an RC Willey's ad (local to me).

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES!! I've been wanting to do a huge purge, but I'm afraid we may have to move to get Dan to participate. He did a great job purging when we moved up here from CA and the movers charged by the pound. :haha: Otherwise, getting him to part with anything is a chore.

He used to work at a hospital several years ago. The other day I found one of those squeezy stress balls in the shape of a pill that some rep must have given him. It's just sitting on the shelf in the living room for some reason. I tossed it. Nobody tell him. :)

I've been going through my stuff, especially in my office and my closets to donate things. Unfortunately the place I like to donate has not done their big rummage sale for the last two years. I had hoped this year they would find a way to do it, but I guess the pile of boxes in the basement will either have to go to Goodwill, or wait for next June. :)

My biggest problem is all the stuff with sentimental value. That and a combination of older family members downsizing and finding a way to give me their junk when I already have enough junk of my own. I'll get through it all eventually. I hope!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have one bin of high school and college tshirts that DOES NOT get purged :love: I should send to one of the companies that makes quilts from them, but I'd need a few....and then what do I do with the quilts??? Really, I should do a photo collage - at least that I could hang somewhere in the house....

It's important to know where the lines are for what to keep or let go. And things change over time - some things I had to keep 10 yrs ago are easy to let go of now. Ultimately, some day my sister and/or her kids will have to sort through the stuff and keep or toss since they inherit :haha:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, by having the biggest house we seem to have become the family history center. Being the executor for the parents and a sister adds to the role of family collector.

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fyi, my parents gave me & my siblings anything we had stored in their houses at least 3 moves ago. Once we got stuff my dad and his wife had stored as Christmas gifts - all wrapped and everything :p So if you need to get rid of your kids' stuff, that's how you can do it...

My husband has been working on his parents to downsize. We got them to sell house #3 last year. They still have two primary residences, a ton of rental properties, and they have been flipping houses in their "retirement". Hubs has been going through the basement at the house in our town to move work tools to the shop and get rid of stuff they don't need or use. They've done so much in the past couple years. It's helpful for them to do together because he can say - yes, that might be useful in the shop, or "no, we don't want to inherit that, just give it away ;-)"

• Like Like x 2
  9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We purge about twice a year, my wife is the prime catalyst for this.

We’ve been in our present home for 23 years. When we moved from our first home, my brother in law who helped load my uhaul broke my stones about bringing a half sheet of drywall. Hey, I might need it in the new place.

I have a Calvin Klein double breasted pinstriped suit from the 90’s, I think it’s a 42, that ain’t going nowhere.

@HoyaHeel, I never knew about making a quilt out of old t-shirts. I have a couple Amish and Mennonite customers, maybe I can work out a trade.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rourou

rourou subterranean roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is me. So I hold onto to stuff longer than I should. However, this needs to change. During the past year, I lost two friends (one to cancer, one just recently in a tragic car accident) who were both collectors and accumulators of stuff. I have learned that once you are gone, everything becomes just stuff for somebody else to figure out what to do with. I don't want that to happen to my family or friends.

@HoyaHeel, I never knew about making a quilt out of old t-shirts. I have a couple Amish and Mennonite customers, maybe I can work out a trade.[/QUOTE]

Friend of mine had this done with old 5K race t-shirts several years ago. It turned out quite nice. I wanted to do it with old concert t-shirts that I couldn't bear to part with. I don't know if the company that made my friend's is still around, but given above desire to start purging, I will either have to find it or just take photos so I can get rid of most of the shirts.

11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a hoarder and I hate it. it is overwhelming to think about trying to tackle it. I know I would much rather have all of my money and all of my space than to have all of that stuff!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, clutter bothers me.

July 19th - July 24th
  13. Running late

Running late High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the ex moved out I purged a lot of crap, but I still have too much stuff. I'd love to get rid of a lot of knick knacks and such but a lot of them were gifts by family and friends and it's hard to let go without hurting feelings. I definitely need to go through my closet this summer, though. I could get rid of half the stuff in there, stuff I never wear anyway.

14. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're, fingers crossed, doing a first in 30 years garage sale in August. We've been promising to do that each of the last 5 summers, but something always seems to come up. Last year was an easy excuse due to COVID. No guilt. It felt good. Would like to keep it that way, so this year is a must do. Most things still around late in the second day will get thrown in the FREE pile.
    It will feel good to feel clean and free again!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pe59

Pe59 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I presume that most of us do have things we are not using or ever going to. I’m am definitely guilty. I want to thank you for reminding me about this. I want to be a minimalist but it is hard sometimes. I’m sure I have a lot of things I’m don’t need that would be a blessing to someone else.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Maxbet

Maxbet JACKPOT!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you should ask. Completely emptied my giant junk drawer, also known as a garage. Moved everything to storage unit while garage was being spruced up, epoxy floor, paint, etc. 30 years of holding on to a lot of crap I no longer need. Only essential items coming back to the garage. Everything else goes to donation or trash.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don’t. Now my wife, tsk, that is a sad take of woe :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have friends, the woman is blind and he does most of the cooking, cleaning, DIY. He is an incredibly nice guy, but often admits his spending is way out of control. He has several hoovers, four lawnmowers, every tool imaginable under the sun and as his job was IT, he must own the latest gadgets, often rendering purchases obsolete within months. Recently, he was putting up a gazebo and said he needed a bigger mallet, so ran straight to the computer to order one from Amazon! My wife persuaded him he could use something else, so he reluctantly cancelled the order!
    Due to the huge amounts of deliveries, mainly Amazon, his wife knows that he constantly overspends, but is so consciously aware of how much he does for her that she will rarely speak out for fear he’d leave her. Their very large garage is swamped, and several rooms of their large house are out of bounds, crammed solid.
    Even their kitchen is unusable, cardboard boxes piled high on the hobs, they usually rely on takeaways or ready meals from the microwave. On the odd occasion someone is due to visit they go into complete panic mode and warn us they will be unavailable for at least a week, tidying up and trying to hide all the delivery boxes, many unopened!
    A very sad situation and when they half heartedly considered moving house, he declared it would take him six months just to dispose of everything, never mind packing for an actual removal.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the hardest one for me. I have sentimental items we've picked up through the years that I just don't love anymore. But I feel like getting rid of them means getting rid of the memories or something. It doesn't make much sense when I try to say it out loud. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd heard about it a few years ago and was intrigued. Saw a piece on the Today Show last month that reminded me. This company hires deaf employees, which is why they were featured on tv - very cool company!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.