1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"Clear" - Has anyone used it at the airport and what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by skybank, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Imagine waiting :shy:

2. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read this week that TSA at LAS is now using a new system for checking. I think they were using it when I left in
    April. You just insert you ID into a reader and it tells you if you are good to go or not. They did not need my boarding pass, so if that is what they are using across the entire airport it will speed it up!

3. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the precheck stations we've been to recently had them. One side at NOLA had the "old" system.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Have it, love it. I have had it for a few years. I travel a bit more than most. My home airport is Orlando (MCO) and it has Clear, so that is a major factor.

If your home airport has it, it can be worth it if you travel a lot. If not, then it's hit or miss for you.
    For me, both airports MCO>LAS are Clear airports, so I speed through both. At LAS you go to what's called "the little C gate" and you whiz through, barely a look.

If you have TSA Pre and Clear, you're golden

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jdk

jdk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre-covid, post covid, it's 100% worth it. Home airport is ATL and I've had up to a 10 min wait, in ATL on a Monday that's nothing. One caveat, the Clear WITH Pre-check is a frigging nightmare at ATL which is why I still haven't gotten Pre-check.

6. Matto556

Matto556 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of curiosity, why does having both make things more difficult?

7. jdk

jdk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because most of the business travellers have both and skip the regular clear line. No idea why they don't switch over to the regular line.

8. pbmeow

pbmeow Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was interested in Clear and browsed their website. It took about a month before they sent me a three month trial. We will be utilizing it flying from MCO>MSP in August. If it doesn’t make a difference, I’ll cancel. If it does, I’ll keep it going since we will be flying MCO>LAS in October.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am still trying to understand what is happening here???

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel a lot, rarely waited too long except clearing US custom.
    So I don't see much value in CLEAR. saving 3 minutes each flight? that's nothing, and the time will be lost anyway.

11. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I have to travel through ATL sometimes for work (I have Pre):

Can one go through the regular Clear line and then go through the expedited Pre security check? If I went through Clear and then still had to deal with the shoes/belt/bag mess I would rather just wait to use Pre :hmmm:

12. BlackJackLife

BlackJackLife Already dreaming of the next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, I do it all the time. Clear jumps you ahead in the Pre line

Summer heat for Independence Day week...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh ok, thanks :) Just got confused because of the mention of Pre and Regular Clear lines…

14. wordster

wordster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amex Platinum has increased its annual fee , but now offers Clear for free on top of TSAPre/GE. So we can now get the best of both world... if you travel alone. Amex does not provide Clear credit for each additional card member like it does for TSAPre/GE.

I never considered getting Clear since TSAPre seemed good enough, but since I always travel with my wife, we need to decide if its worth getting Clear free for myself and pay for my wife's.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the credit is $179 per year. So, you can get yours covered and part of the spouse.

The cost varies, but it is only $119 each as long as you have a Delta FF number. (free). $109 if Silver or higher.

https://www.clearme.com/partner/delta

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of LAS every other week and have never waited longer than five minutes in the TSA pre-check line (either terminal). Based on Clear's airport coverage and the fact that you have to stop at that station first, get "cleared" and then walk over, I don't see any value. The TSA pre-check lines have been even shorter lately as most of the travelers seem to be first timers or inexperienced and not prone to pre-check. That may be the case for the rest of the year as the only pre-check delay is the agent telling people in line that they are not pre-check.

17. Philonous815

Philonous815 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also fly out of LAS twice a month. It can depend on what gates you fly out of. Sometimes there is no pre-check line in LAS during certain hours, where Clear certainly helps. Last Friday (beginning of holiday weekend), there was actually a long line at Pre-Check. I zipped to the front with pre-check.

I agree with you overall that Clear doesn't add much value on top of Pre-Check in most cases. But there are those exceptions.

18. jdk

jdk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not quite sure I understand your inquiry, but I'll give it a whirl. In ATL there is Pre Check, There is Clear with Pre-Check and there is regular Clear, well and Sky Priority. What I'm saying is that there are so many business travellers that think Clear & Pre-Check is the best line, that the regular Clear line rarely has more than 5-15 people in it. Hope that helps :)

19. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That said, I know plenty of business travelers who have Clear but not Pre-Check, for reasons that completely escape me. At least in Vegas, there's rarely more than that many people in line. At least for me, the bigger benefit for Pre isn't the shorter line, but just the convenience of not having to deal with all of the security crap like taking stuff out of my bags. They do still get a little confused on the X-ray machine when I've got three laptops in my bag, and for some reason my boring Macy's belt always sets off the metal detector at JFK, but it's just so much more convenient.

I've never waited in line behind more than 5 or so people at the LAS D-gates, but $100-ish for five years of Pre is a great value. I just can't justify that much per year for Clear. And not to get into politics, but I'm more comfortable with the government getting my info (I used to have a security clearance and everything is on file anyway) than a private company.

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice summary and enough that I will not bother. It is rare there are more than a handful of people in front of me at Pre-check and it works at all airports (okay.. maybe not ALL).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.