1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Conventions are Back, and so am I 6/6-12

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by poidawg, Jun 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen a "Pet Goodbye" to fish. Well played.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Argh! You had to ask. I'm 71 and in the early-mid 1960s I spent HOURS at the West Seattle bowling alley playing a a game that when you hit the targets red & white balls would fall in the screen and if you got something like 6-9 of them, you got free games, You also got free games with a score. 10¢ per game or 25¢ for three!

Then at 211 Union (pool hall, restaurant/bar, and card room) where I worked there was one of those old, old pinball machine that you could play for money. They were illegal and I would play when times were slow and no cops were around.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 5.29.15 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

So many to choose from. Big Sack and I like Gorgar. That heartbeat was cool and I think that was the very first talking pinball machine made?? We are a little too young to have experienced 10 cent pinball..... Addams Family is another classic.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  4. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Gaggles There is a local man here in the Long Beach Peninsula area who collects and repairs historic pinball machines. A couple of years ago he brought historic and other games to the Columbia Pacific Heritage Museum where I am a member, and after his lecture he let us play them for free! He even had my favorite! He also had some of the first pinballs ever made. It was great!!!

5. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! But a dog would die while I’m in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friday, final Wynn day and I want to spend as much time at the pool before clearing out at noon. Joining the line to enter at 9am it’s a perfect day and I get an ideal poolside lounge chair half sun half shade to type on my phone and tan. Zed took my advice and scheduled a Wynn massage at noon, so I’ll check out and kill time before returning to pick him up.

20F3AC74-8E07-4BDB-94B0-CDE211178510.jpeg

I’ll use that time to visit my favorite Vegas sports card shop, Legacy. I use Yelp to navigate but it takes me way out towards the Vegas mountains. The Legacy I remember was a tiny store in a sketchy strip mall with bars on the window and a doorbell to buzz you in. This new store is triple the size, with every kind of sports card imaginable, but still has the buzzer. I approach a familiar face, an employee who resembles Chumlee from Pawn Stars. So business has been good? I ask. Oh yeah, REEEAL good! He replies with a BIG smile.

A50FD377-0B60-43A4-A711-721D46445744.jpeg 7EFD4A1F-8B10-4F0D-A0BC-1BB6E4FAA32B.jpeg CAA5A8FA-A2BD-4E2D-8FF7-0137EAFD4CB6.jpeg

FYI since the Coronavirus, values of baseball, football and especially basketball have skyrocketed 5x to 100x and little shops who distribute products basically have a license to print money. Imagine buying a $20 box that may contain a $1500 card, I did it’s not so uncommon. It’s gotten so out of hand, Target had to pull cards off it’s shelves due to fights breaking out to buy them. I buy a box of Topps that was just released today and gawk at some Michael Jordan autograph priced at $8k (a steal) and a Zion Williamson asking $16k.

F1BC5B87-8A08-41D3-A0F9-F52A4DA1084F.jpeg 7537AF13-E4E7-4220-92D1-F1C7D3847C97.jpeg E7264DA3-7F2D-49E4-BACD-56F8929E31F9.jpeg

As Steve’s brother Alex “Baldy” Wynn said “You see this card? This CARD cost more than your car. THAT’S who I am.” I congratulate the staff on their recent fortunes and zip back to the Wynn.

Zed has finished his spa day and matches his mLife Gold to Wynn Platinum. He’s up $1200 from Aria poker and we hit Charlie’s for some appetizers. We sit there for 2 hours ripping open packs of baseball cards, watching the sports book video wall and munching on quesadillas and fries. It’s not Wing Lei, but this is 5-star dining to me at this moment in time.

CB304770-47B6-4B4A-A902-F0BBC3D81952.jpeg A90392A3-FD59-4E9A-AC04-1695AFD3AFCA.jpeg 8949D4AC-4DCE-458A-98F9-E9774072D736.jpeg D97E447F-546F-4B4A-AFA3-E22D7C8A02E2.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Note: Sorry should have mentioned I’m adding movie quotes to help illustrate my TR. That is all.

Zed wants to check out the Encore poker room so we saunter over there. A guy in a suit tries to convince him to play In the Wynn Millions poker tournament but has a a hard time keeping our attention with all the eye candy walking by, is it Fashion Week? Ogling loads of aspiring supermodels who dress like they’re going to the Grammy’s, Zed swears off the Bellagio and declares Encore as his new poker home. I’m still smarting from my Aria beating so I leave him there and zoom off to the fabulous Mandalay Bay.

B6D1A3D6-7F4A-473F-A9F7-4541B94EA598.jpeg
    Did I mention the Wynn self parking is now full and there’s still no valet? I’m glad I’m leaving before the weekend. As Fezzik’s friend Vezzini used to say “IN-CON-THEEVABLE!!”

Despite popular opinion, I think Mandalay Bay is fantastic - probably because I always have a car. What I don’t enjoy is shlepping my luggage a mile from self park to Registration so am ecstatic that the valet is OPEN. The MB room is top notch for mere mortal hotels (Wynn is god class) with an amazing Stadium view.

C21E115E-7511-4044-8B8F-CA04B678CB9B.jpeg B516E140-6609-42CC-9FF3-4668885751D8.jpeg 69455B9C-E669-4177-9868-1AE052811ACE.jpeg CED74E12-2EAC-497F-BF50-7BE03BA71773.jpeg

Quick side note, I used to be a San Diego Chargers season ticket holder. Between my love of Las Vegas and my seething festering hatred of the LA Chargers who I wish to DIE (figuratively) a grotesque horrible fiery death, I’m considering becoming a Raiders fan (I laugh as I say that). That’s like a Yankee becoming Red Sox fan (not really) or Liverpool to Manchester United for our futbol friends. As Vezzini says “IN-CON-THEEVABLE!!” OK that wasn’t quick.

9116CD57-DB29-4312-8F49-89689EC078A7.jpeg

Dinner is at Lupo, again I don’t know why everyone dumps on Lupo I love it. And with a MyVEGAS BOGO I love it even more. We get a seat next to the rail to people watch, the service is amazing, and food is terrific. We go with a Calamari appetizer and 2 filet entrees, which with bread is a lot of food. Our waitress is so funny and engaging, she’s working her way through law school, we tip her what we saved on the BOGO filet.

B3BB3F34-DB83-4594-8A87-F9B334E13EF2.jpeg 70BDC80C-C8A4-4E0E-9AAD-BF7A22007DDC.jpeg 0C33370F-BB6D-424B-8315-E40C69FAA7CE.jpeg C0095FA4-5A80-4BCF-B3F6-56420DB83B69.jpeg

While we’re eating, a live band starts belting out 80s hits from AC/DC, Journey, Scorpions, Bon Jovi, etc... and they are fantastic. The Rhythm & Riffs lounge is rocking, such a relief after a year and a half with no live music these guys, Mission to Rock, are a sound for sore ears (is that a saying?). We soak it in until 1am after which it’s sort of too late to find a poker room (MBs is closed). I play some slots while Zed crashes in the room. Tomorrow we’re hitting Mandalay Beach early and then a sports card show at Sunset Station, so little time. Good night Las Vegas, please tip your waitresses!

D2A4BAD3-4D0C-4314-91A2-7A560E98D17F.jpeg CCF0541E-27A5-4CFB-AB6F-30C3DA603F24.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  8. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s Saturday and the last day of our adventure even though we have the room until tomorrow. The Real World has been leaving me a lot of voicemails, and I’m fearing an 8 hour drive on Sunday. We make the most of it by hitting Mandalay Beach by 9am (sorry no pictures), but when we get there it’s already 80% full (I could have sworn the sign said 8am, but check when you get there). I spend an hour bobbing around my favorite, the MB Wave Pool, and then hit the Lazy River for a couple of laps after inflating our inner tubes. The Lazy River is more like bumper cars with so many tubes going this way and that so we wrap it up at the Bar & Grill. After a delicious Breakfast Sandwich with fries, we have a small problem paying the bill. We didn’t bring our IDs which are required to charge to the room and use MLife card credits. The server confirms the room is under my name, but not without a little running around.

We clear out of the room, pick up the car from the valet, and I drop Zed off at the Bellagio (his flight is Sat evening). He’s up a couple grand from Poker and we make plans to do it again in July. My last stop is Sunset Station for the baseball card show, but when I get there it’s nowhere to be found. Finally, I see a sign directing me to the Bowling Alley where there’s a small group of vendors gathered. It’s a little disappointing, not a lot of eye popping 5 figure cards, but some nice vintage and local Knights and Raiders gear. I’ll probably stick to the Legacy store, they seem to have everything I’m interested in.

IMG_3650.JPEG IMG_3651.JPEG IMG_3652.JPEG

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WRAP UP and MUSINGS

What can I say, Vegas has been everything I hoped for and more after the Coronavirus crisis. I lived like Royalty for a week, 2 massages, Pool mornings, Royal Flush, Aces & kickers, upgraded status, Buffet/Fine Dining, Monster Trucks, Racecars, Chocolate Factory, Free Pinball, Baseball Cards, MB Beach, etc… and I STILL had a bunch left on my list.

Of course you can grouse about things being not quite perfect in Adult Disneyland - the crowds, the lines, the Parking FULL, the No Valets, the short staffed. The Still CLOSED, the Reservations Only, the Poker mauling, etc… but what’s the point? Las Vegas will never return to it’s pre-pandemic image like the Rat Pack days are long gone.

Instead I’m excited to see what the new Stadium brings, whether the Raiders will be a hit (of course they will), whether CES will return as big (I say no), Resorts World / Circa / Virgin, new restaurants, new shows, lots to look forward to.

IMG_3588.JPEG

As my old drill Sergeant Apone used to say “A day in the Corp is like a day in Las Vegas! Every meal is a banquet, Every jackpot a fortune, Every queue a parade! I LOVE Las Vegas!” Got a problem with that? “Looook into my eye.”

Thanks for reading! See you in July!

• Like Like x 8
  10. Tutontow

Tutontow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. CoconutWilly

CoconutWilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MattyVegas

MattyVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s crazy to me that sports cards are making a comeback! I collected them like crazy when I was a kid during the over saturated years of the late 80s/early 90s. Wasted a ton of money on them but had fun.

Great trip report! Really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. STS05

STS05 Onward

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report! Loved every post!

• Like Like x 1
  14. eliza

eliza Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great Report! Thanks for taking us along.

I also just signed myself up for the dumpling MC in August - hope we bump into one another there!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.