1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Las Vegas Car Rental Question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Prez, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulu4545

Lulu4545 Super Jeans

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @makikiboy - How'd it go when you picked up your car?

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problems for me. I signed up for avis preferred and entered the "A" number in my profile.

My flight got in on Monday morning, 6:30 am. Walked past the Avis desk, there was nobody in line! got to the avis preferred booth but didn't see my name on the board. Went inside and showed my ID. The clerk checked and found my reservation. I had to scan my cc and they printed out the reservation and pointed me to my car. Got to my car, checked the car out and put my luggage inside and drove out of there. Took about 10 minutes total from going to the booth to driving out of the facility.

I didn't want to chance being questioned at the avis desk so just used the preferred to bypass the desk.

After I get home I will probably update my preferred profile to remove the "A" code just in case they do a scan to question people using that code.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hertz (also owns Thrifty and Dollar) looks to be coming out of chapter 11 bankruptcy sometime this summer. They should be able to increase capital spend/car inventory once a deal is finalized. They sold a lot of cars to stay afloat in 2020.

Hertz picks new front-runners to back exit from bankruptcy | Fox Business

In the mean time I would not be surprised if they would have the tightest car inventory and longest customer waits compared to their competitors. Obviously, their bankruptcy has a significant impact on pricing as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. caretaker77

caretaker77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update makiki.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a reservation for Thrifty a few months ago, then after reading this thread (and others) signed up for Thrifty's Blue Chip program. When I got to the rental center last week Thursday around Noon, found that the Thrifty booth appeared to be permanently closed, and indicated that all Thrifty customers to go to Dollar's counter.

Once there, I went to the Dollar Express/Thrifty Blue Chip line that had nobody in it... and I estimated 45 people in line (though I am sure some of those were couples or groups). I was the next person called... and I never looked behind me to see the burning stares of about 45 people. The agent said there was a minor snafu as I made the rezzy before signing up for Blue Chip, but she made the connection and I was in my car within 10 minutes. I made some banter with the agent about going ahead of the long line, and she said that every single customer could sign up for the program for free, so that's on them. She even said that some people sign up for the program while in line, then move to the express lane.

So to reiterate what others have said... sign up for whatever program your chosen renter offers, then skip the counter (or at least get to the express lane).

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Returned my rental car to avis lot before midnight Friday night (more like 10 pm). No problems, was billed using the "A" code so got the lower rates.

When walking out of the rental facility I noticed that many of the agencies had long lines of people waiting to rent a car. Avis line was also long, probably had at least 15 people in line. Budget same thing. Guess it was good to use avis preferred so you don't have to wait in line. Also good to use avis preferred if you are afraid of being questioned for using the "A" code. Highly recommend using preferred.

Thanks for giving us the "A" code, saved at least $100 if not $200 versus paying regular rates.

If anyone is interested, Advantage rent a car is now open. They are located across the street in the old Sixt location. Sixt now took over the advantage desk. But strangely they also have a sixt desk next to Payless (or did they replace payless?).

• Like Like x 2
  7. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On all of the upcoming trips I have this summer, Hertz has the lowest rates at any location I've looked at across the country. Much lower than Thrifty-Dollar too which always used to beat Hertz by quite a bit. Hertz is typically around $50 a day compared to $75-150 for all the other companies.

8. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked an SUV in Maui for this upcoming winter, 60 bucks a day.

9. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to try the U-haul (8' pickup truck) option for my upcoming trip, but BFF and I decided to drive from the SF Bay Area instead. U-haul WAS cheaper.

10. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem is, there are very few cars to buy! Chip shortage, etc.... I know they buy fleets differently not from dealers, but a local Toyota "Superstore" that normally has 300-400+ New inventory has 28 in stock. I looked last night because a friend is looking for a new Tacoma...yeah, not anytime soon!!!

11. Prez

Prez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I reserved after enrolling in to Avis preferred and use the code . Yesterday I got email that when arrive at the counter be ready to verify your affiliation with the corporate code you use .! Anyone has any suggestions what should I expect? I am arriving on Monday 31st

12. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically, it sounds like you'll need to show ID connecting you to whatever group or company sponsors the code. If it's union related, show your union card. If it's AARP connected, show your AARP card etc. I've used many codes over the years without verification, but back then they had a million cars to rent and get off of their lot. Not the case today.

13. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I use AutoSlash (dot) com, I always check every box for every credit card and rewards program. Recently for the first time, I've seen Hertz with the lowest pricing, but right on the results page it lists something like "Must show USAA card at time of pick-up".

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  14. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Vegas Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just speaking to a friend at the local Toyota dealership because I'm trying to buy a RAV4 and she has literally ONE in stock. I'm waiting 26 days for more to come in right now. Was hoping to purchase a car before my Vegas trip but it's looking like it'll have to wait! Fingers crossed I can win a jackpot and then just come home and buy it outright I guess, silver linings, right? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With preferred, don't you go straight to the car ? let us know how this all shakes out !

16. SeaJay

SeaJay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Avis/Budget started asking for proof of entitlement to use codes - especially codes that give huge discounts - a while ago. My neighborhood location ALWAYS wants some kind of proof - a business card, or membership or whatever. I've been asked at airport locations maybe 25% of the time. But keep in mind that the alternative to providing proof is paying full price and right now full price is insane.

Try to have a Plan B, just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. file1040

file1040 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad I checked VMB! just saved a bundle on a 4 day using the Avis codes. A Friday to Tuesday $170 for a Camry. My Avis Wizard # may have helped, but the code was the icing on the cake.

18. crap808

crap808 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

@Prez. Any problems picking up the car?

19. Prez

Prez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I landed at LS Airport it looked like ghost town . Not many people. Most of the stores and kiosks were closed ! I went to Car rental shuttles . No one was there . I was only one waiting! Was thinking if the shuttle was closed down.! Then 7/8 people came . Shuttle came after around 20 minutes.
    Went to the Avis counter. 7 to 8 people in front of me.
    And I see this sign .
    7B07B676-EA0A-4B36-ADE6-7D8E6CD2CEC5.jpeg

Not looking good . After waiting 30 minutes my turn came . Surprisingly went smooth. I had city back visa .but they didn’t ask anything els . Got my discounted rental for 8 days and out

• Like Like x 1
  20. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We used the Avis code in both Reno and LAS a couple of weeks ago and were not asked for corp ID in either place. Thanks for posting.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.