1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What item(s) is still hard to find or low quantity in the stores now?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends. If you mean the car, then no, I get it. From the URL, expectations were set, but not met.

If you meant... something else... then the term is "kinky"

:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, kinda reminds me of the Great Gas Shortage of 1970-{mumble} (1973? 1974? - all one big blur now) :)

I was a poor starving college student, out of town with the first car I could call my own. I was in the habit of buying gas by the drop! ("Uh, yeah, gimme 50 cents worth of regular please." No, I am NOT kidding!) Except for a weekend trip my gas gauge usually read between 1/4 and E.

Then the gas shortage hit. All of the kids started filling up and keeping full. You would get up at 0-dark-30 just so you could find gas without a line half way around the block. I got in the habit of filling up all the way when it got below 3/4.

Fortunately, this (2021) shortage did not reach here. However (comma) gas prices jumped about $0.20 per gallon in the last week or so.

3. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chlorine tablets. Big display at Costco yesterday. Went back today to buy some and they were completely sold out and said they didn’t know when they’d get more. We went to our local pool store where all they had were 50 lb buckets at an outrageous price. The owner told us the factory burned down and it will be five months before he can get more in. Right as summer gears up here in Florida…

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  4. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude this is happening at the store by me too! I brought Jackson the grocery store brand and he wagged his tail to let me know it was good. Seriously though, wtf?

(I will note, Petco and Petsmart are a little better stocked, the grocery store is just a mere 0.5mi from me so I went there. But still!)
    20210515_180342.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cat litter in certain configurations. The buckets we usually buy are out of stock everywhere and even Tidy Cats emailed me directly saying there is a supply issue with the certain types of containers. They suggested buying in the bags and transferring to any existing buckets consumers still have. We have a bunch saved so that’s not an issue. What is an issue is I am disabled and buying a 40 lb bag and having to move it from the front porch is a no go. Also the bags cost more per pound than the buckets. My spouse had to sit on the front porch and scoop out the bags slowly into buckets.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have burrito on the way. You’ll be fine. :) Sorta...:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or maybe.....they are the best......:headbang:

• Like Like x 1
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Petco had plenty of their generic fill-it-yerself litter last week. Got my periodic exercise hauling it back to the car. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    periodic.....you must only have one of the feline....we have episodic work outs....with 2:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the biggest manufacturers of pails for consumer packaging announced 8 individual price increases starting last September. Five @ 5%, two @ 7%, and one 2.5%. I think they skipped an increase in December. Prices for ethylene and propylene hit bottom about a year ago and 2020 finished with higher prices than when it started. In January prices went up and in February, the Texas Freeze caused 90% of the plants to shut down. Ethylene and propylene are converted into High Density Polyethylene and Polypropylene (number 2 and 5 recycling codes) and these plastics became in short supply, manufacturers like Exxon Mobil declared force majeure which cancelled contracts. The prices for plastic increased tremendously and some of the converters who make buckets and pails are running 24/7 and can’t catch up with demand. I haven’t seen this sort of supply chain disruption in 25 years and that includes a couple wars and several hurricanes in the Texas/Louisiana region where most of plastics are produced. Let’s say the weight of that bucket or pail is 12 Oz., the raw material used to make it is up about $.40, if the plant can even get it.

There’s a rumor that since there is less competition in the chemical industry, collusion is going on to keep some of these ethylene and propylene plants off line to keep prices up.

You might need to go old school and buy a 50 lb sack of clay kitty litter and a spray bottle of deodorizer.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy the bags at Costco (Scoop Away - they're on sale in the current cpn book so I need to buy my max) and we transfer to an older plastic container we have.

I saw the chlorine tab issue on the news a few weeks ago. They said it's just the tablets so you can use other forms that should be more available?

I still haven't found dulce de leche in a year. I'm getting pretty good at making my own though ;-)

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, and unfortunately he's getting long in the tooth. :( He's been my faithful companion during These Difficult Times (tm). I value every minute I have with him! There are some photos in the pet photo thread.

• Love Love x 4
  13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amateur. :D

I had to switch the group off of Royal Canin products because they're just not available. I likely won't be going back when it becomes available either.

During my recent Vegas trip I walked over to Walgreen's to buy a 2 liter pop. (actually cost less than a small bottle by the ice machine in the hotel) I see a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup on the shelf. The regular kind, Warhol red and white can, costs maybe .90 at Walmart. There must be a shortage.
    $4.99 I was stupified. (no comments, please) Possibly it was so expensive because it was vintage. At that price it had probably been there 30 years. :evillaugh:

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Previously “professional” as we had 5.....but we loved and were loved....but the drama....:mad:

15. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you got that. Drama is 23. :rolleyes: Over the years it has dwindled to 8 and they are all senior. Fifteen heartbreaks, but like Geisel said, don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Litter. It's hard for me to carry the 40 lb bags anymore too. A hand truck comes is real useful at least from car to building.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  16. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I resemble that remark...

Tell him I said “Semper Fi”

I do not like my truck having less than 1/2 a tank of gas.

• Love Love x 1
  17. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a website called Trouble Free Pools and other one to learn about pools. They do have formulas for using regular bleach to add chlorine. I do that when something fails (pump, salt cell, electric, etc.) and the pool goes green to get a higher level going and they have a calculators for using it for various reasons.

I did wonder why I could not find the small box of tablets I use during the sunniest times of the year...now I know...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see we may be crossing paths at Aria in September. We have been back and forth on going - not going strip - downtown, Lake Charles-- etc. A lot of my planning is around the grumpy old marine. Now with mask mandates gone for those of us vaccinated it makes it more appealing for him. Now I just have to find a way to roofie him to get him on the plane without a lot of bitching.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah we’re in Florida. We use huge jugs of liquid chlorine but need the tablets to float in the pool all the time. In the summer we usually have to keep the tablets in the skimmer too. Our pool is also huge. 40,000 gallons. Not my choice. It came with the house. The last time I had to have it resurfaced it cost close to $10,000.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The A-Team has some suggestions

• Funny Funny x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.