1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your store returns are being tracked and some get cut off by a company named The Retail Exchange

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by archie1959, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been the case for decades and I recall this system being in place more than 20 years ago when I was in high school working retail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve heard about those companies being used to track returns without receipts but Dick’s is... unwise IMO (being REALLY polite :whistle:) to deny returns with receipts using the third-party excuse :eek::nono: I guess I need to consciously factor in return protection when looking for/using credit cards to make purchases :hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have to speculate that there might be more to this story. When you buy a pair of jeans and they don't fit right, that's one thing, but I'm hard-pressed to imagine what you'd be buying at Home Depot that would require consistent returns. And these were brought about by non-receipted returns for which she was warned.

5. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never knew about this company.
    I have a family member that just buys and returns from those tv shopping channels and there has to be a point that they don't want her business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I candidly didn't know the name of the specific company, but restricting returns is definitely not remotely new. And unfortunately, people abuse the system, which is why we can't have nice things. Costco had to amend their return policy because people would show up with a 5-year-old TV and ask for a refund. When I worked retail, someone once showed up with a $300 cashmere blanket that they wanted to return, it was so old that it wasn't even in the system anymore (my manager let me have it for like $10, which was the default pricing for home goods).
    This is probably right. Like I said, if it's clothing you ordered online but doesn't fit, that's one thing, but with other stuff, you know what you're ordering. With mail-order stuff, it's also a pain to deal with returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does Zappos count? Their is a member of my family that regularly shoes for tint or comfort....

8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe WM limits you to 3 non receipted items per year (or 12 mos?). If you don’t have the receipt they key in your DL info.

I like Menards. I can swipe my CC, scan the UPC and it will reprint the receipt.

9. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a lot of this policy in limiting returns has to do with the "buy it, use it, return it" culture that exists for clothing, tools, and other expensive items. Amazon has helped proliferate this type of thinking due to their lenient return policy where they accept used items as a return as long as it is within their initial return period. Customer just has to use some lame excuse to get the return accepted. The manufacturer and third party sellers are the ones who eat the eventual cost of the return as Amazon passes on the return cost to them, and they get back an item that cannot be resold as new as it is quite visibly used

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Vegaswanderer

Vegaswanderer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If stores don't want returns they need to make that the policy. Or if they want to limit the number of returns, or the % of purchases returned, fine, then put that in the return policy.

Stores gain plenty of extra sales by advertising their lenient return policies, and they shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, there is certainly abuse out there.
    I will add this though, when you make a trip back to the bricks and mortar store you are likely to make an unplanned or impulse purchase. That is a win for the store.

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They generally have a broad right to refuse returns in the printed policy. But I also don't think that "don't be a jerk about it" needs to be put in writing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, that's why the third-party analytics are required. There is a huge difference between buying a pair of shoes that don't fit right, and buying an outfit for a wedding, wearing it, and returning it.

I think the last Amazon purchase I had refunded/replaced was a perfume set I bought for my sister for Christmas. It showed up completely destroyed. Probably the shipper's fault, but Amazon was rightfully just like, "Yeah, we'll send a new one". It's not like they or the seller have any use for a bunch of broken perfume bottles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True it is a pain on the returns.
    Most of the QVC items you get charged 6.95 or returning.
    But recently, my sister had to return 3 pairs of shoes that did not fit, but the return label was one of those that you choose your carrier and you will pay for shipping cost.
    Box was big so the cheapest way for USPS to send was 22 dollars.

15. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suspect most people who are “serial returners” and protest their innocence are well aware that they are pushing the limits beyond what is reasonable.

They are kind of like the people who “rush up” to the cashier or players club desk ahead of the elite members, knowing full well that they are trying to get away with something and hoping they won’t be called out on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This doesn't qualify as a purchase that requires consistent returns, but you can return perennials, trees, and shrubs to Home Depot within 12 months. https://www.homedepot.com/c/Return_Policy

Offhand, I can think of new appliances that get dinged or damaged to the point of no return so that Home Depot can't place on their clearance section (not these days with the nationwide appliance shortage). Or just buying all of the things before measuring out (door locks, etc.)

17. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kohl's has an extended return policy. I remember returning a purse that had broken after about 3 months of use. They took it back despite it not being in their system. Nowadays I am just very careful about what I buy from stores as well as QVC etc...

18. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was once told by a Sam's employee that they've had people "buy" mega big-screen TVs for their Super Bowl parties and then return them afterwards.

True? I dunno. If it is, that's a dick move. But again, that's what I've been told.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Returns cost money. They have to be processed and repacked to sell again. They have to pay someone to do this. If I do business with that company, I subsidize "serial returners." Legitimate returns are one thing, but serial returning is taking advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You also have some customers that will buy discounted items at one store then return at another. Shoplifters obviously won't have a receipt.

I know of people being banned at Home Depot due to too many returns. I could see this maybe being an issue for a contractor that over orders. Though would hope their algorithms would take into account volume/percentage of purchases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.