1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Las Vegas Car Rental Question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Prez, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caretaker77

caretaker77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips. I'll have a good excuse or two in my back pocket ready if needed when I go.

2. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please make sure your a budget fast break member, Hertz number #1 or whatever Avis calls there little club. You can have a two hour wait, even with a pre-paid reservation.

They want 750.00 for 1 day for a regular car in Maui right now.

This car shortage is BS. The car rental companies are trying to make up all their profit they loss last year via your wallet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always sign up for the FREE rental car club, even if you only rent once a year,
    it saves time and there is no BS selling of up charges!

4. bnw300

bnw300 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good, I do have a Citi card, will make sure to have that with me when I travel. Thanks for the help!

5. Lulu4545

Lulu4545 Super Jeans

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I noticed this today when I checked rates on Avis.com:

upload_2021-4-30_14-55-4.png

After some research it appears this may be for Citi Group employees, not card holders?

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if this was because there was a lot of activity using that code.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lulu4545

Lulu4545 Super Jeans

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I was thinking...

This verbiage appears only on the new reservations I made today as well:
    upload_2021-4-30_15-48-23.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. Colesc15

Colesc15 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be curious if they ever actually check. I've used different codes over the years and never once had a code questioned.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone used the A074800 code, received the message posted and then used the code to get their rental?

I just received the same email message with my upcoming reservation:

upload_2021-4-30_21-22-49.png

Wonder if I should use another code with another reservation just in case. I also have a costco reservation with budget, guess I should keep it just in case I have a problem with the above code. At least that reservation is only $70 higher so not as big a hit as the current reservation rates.

I will find out on monday whether the above code still works.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Makikiboy, please post if you have to show ID. We have a res on 5/6 in Reno and one on 5/11 in LV. I'd hate to get there and find out that we have no car.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay.

I have a costco citi card so if they ask I can always show my citi card. Guess I should charge the card using the citi card so they won't question me using the code.

12. caretaker77

caretaker77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a reservation starting June 6th. Would greatly appreciate any reports in this thread if anyone tries to use the code. As an aside, I have not received any email or other notifications in any form. If not for this thread I would be completely ignorant of this issue at this point. I'm already preparing that as one of my arguments if it becomes a problem.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to book another reservation using another code - the other "A" code listed previously. I looked at the email confirming reservation and under the prices it also posted the same message requiring validation of eligibility.

One alternative, maybe you can sign up to be avis preferred (is that their fasttrack program?) so you skip the counter and go directly to your rental car.

I will probably show up and show my Costco citi cc and see if they accept that. If they don't I still have my backup Costco budget reservation just in case.

14. Sparkle

Sparkle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not plan on claiming ignorance to work especially if they have made a change to their website. That makes me think that A LOT of people are using the code (or at least a lot more than usual). I think the best advice is what is recommened above "skip the counter". The less interaction people, the less opportunity they have to ask for proof you have authorization to use the code.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked with a guy..not fellow employees, he represented a corporate owner, traveled around to many holdings. Had the corporate ID for rental cars, hotels, etc. Liked sharing them. Shared the IBM code for Herrtz. I used it several times... never any hassle, never a question asked. Got me great rates. And, more importantly, waiver of one-way charges. I went to a conference in Orlando, then down to Ft Lauderdale to visit friends. Airfare was OK, but the flight schedules were very inconvenient. I needed a car in Ft Lauderdale anyway... the rate saved me a lot, no one ever asked for proof/ID.

But, I stopped using the ID number, rate. Because I noticed that the corporate plan also included waiver of insurance, etc. And, perhaps overly paranoid, it occurred to me that if I had an accident or the car was damaged, I'd probably be held personally liable. I'm certain IBM wouldn't cover me. The coverage through my credit card probably wouldn't apply as I was renting "under false pretenses." I'm not sure my own personal insurance would apply. I do know that insurance companies seek any possible reason to avoid paying out on claims. Even if I somehow paid for the CDW upon renting, I wonder if it would be voided due to unauthorized use of the corporate discount. So, I stopped.

And, before my next rental, noticed that I had an excellent, just a few bucks more than the IBM rate, through my employer. A small employer... not some big corporation negotiated rate. Many employers have a range of employee discounts they secure through GPOs, or memberships, etc. They often forget to tell employees or employees ignore the obscure company flyer regarding discounts. Many of those discounts are pointless. My employer gets us a discount from all cell carriers but you can get a better deal on your own. Likewise similar valueless discounts from many retailers. But the rental car discount has proved to be excellent.

I also save money by organizing my trip to rent a car only when needed. Based on timing and 24-hour rental days, my typical 3-night stay would be a 4-day rental. But I generally want the car one or two days, and found it sat in the parking lot mostly unused some days. So I rent at airport, organize trip and use car for one or two days, and turn in car at a Strip location. Or, vice versa, picking up on Strip, returning at airport. With some organization, excursion consolidation and non-airport rental office use, I don't spend any more than the cost of taxis to-from airport and around town.

16. caretaker77

caretaker77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did that as well. I got Avis Preferred and even their app. I'm hoping I can link up the reservation to the preferred account and hopefully can skip the counter first. I also pre-paid the entire amount and like I said, nothing in any of the paperwork references the employee part nor even the code. To borrow from poker, I'll try to give myself as many "outs" as possible.

17. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

I have three reservations using that code and never got that email. Just for the heck of it I tried to make another reservation and did not see the disclaimer. Wonder why some are getting it and others not. Could it have to do with whether or not you're a preferred member? I am but, since this will be my first time renting from Avis, I will still have to go to the counter in RNO to verify my license.

18. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Vegas Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just made a reservation through my credit card/insurance company today. I'm with USAA and have used them several times for rentals in Vegas. Luckily I have a friend in town that always does the pickup from the airport and either her or a Lyft will bring me to the off strip/off airport car rental location. I booked at Hertz for 3 days next month and I was happy to only be paying around $130 (will be about $210 after adding the insurance because I just don't feel like dealing with issues). I went back to look at my last reservation though and it was only $160 for a whole week! I won't be there that long this time coming up so if the weekly rate was cheaper it wouldn't help, but even using a code through my CC company it's quite a bit more than last time! Oh well, just happy to get to town and be able to get around soon!

19. Prez

Prez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I understand how Covid affected all the business

Yes I have read CNN report on how it is affecting Car Rental Business.

But I think Federal Authorities must look in to any Collusion between car rental companies.

It sure looks like all the big players are working in coordination.

Unless consumers speaks out loudly no one will investigate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used the citi code last week. No problem at all. Over the years I have used all kinds of codes not directly tied to me. Nobody has ever asked.

As to the rental companies playing games with rates. Maybe. Maybe not. I have run into situations where they have ZERO cars. Not even $500 options. If I am unable to rent, then they can not be taking advantage since they now get ZERO dollars from me.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.