1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where are you retiring to?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BreakEven, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted this in non-Vegas chat because I'm NOT considering a Vegas retirement. Don't think I have the self control for that :p

I'm starting to reach that age, looking at options. Have grudgingly accepted that I won't be winning the lottery, so my own private island is likely not going to be a reality.

But relaxing on an island somewhere DOES sound appealing, so maybe retiring outside of the US is a good option. Downside for me is I don't speak any other languages. So Australia would be perfect here, except $$$$$$.

Considering AZ, but don't really want to live on the surface of the sun for 3+m per year.

Where are your retirement plans taking you?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right now we've decided to stay in place in NC and travel as often as we can - for longer times when we're able. We thought about beach or mountains but eh, too many issues for us. We built the house for single level living if needed....House has been paid off for years and we love it here. One hour to airport, great health care - those are my top priorities. Sometimes I do wish for walking to things and amazing internet, but that is what travel is for....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure yet. I don't think id retire to LV, because a major element of its appeal to me is staying in wonderful hotels.

Haven't decided where, but probably western North America, and maybe one place in the hot months, a different place in the cool months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're two to five years out. We always come back to the same contenders: Bend, Tucson, La Quinta, somewhere around Puget Sound. And maybe a return to Lompoc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are on the research quest now. With retirement coming 2024, we have narrowed it down to Arizona from a list that included Georgia, Nevada, California. But AZ, it is. Our driving variables are location, healthcare system and house size. Oh and single-story.

June will be the first (of many) house-scouting trips to actually see/feel locations we have been researching onlne.

6. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have thought about the western US, somewhere where Vegas is a relatively short drive. Was considering southern Utah, but the past year's obscene rise in real estate prices there has been dispiriting to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maxbet

Maxbet JACKPOT!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We took a brief look at Flagstaff in March. Considering Oregon and northern CA. Still 3-5 years out, but close enough to start thinking about it. Up and down stairs got old quite some time ago. Single level home first and foremost.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm retired already. Living in Hawaii. My condo is paid off so my biggest bills are condo maintenance and taxes. And my travels and gambling, lol.

I thought about moving to vegas but vegas is too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter so I rather just live in Honolulu and vacation in vegas and elsewhere. I get to golf 2x a week at the public courses, don't have to worry too much about the weather while playing all year round. I can't wait until I make 65, then I can buy a monthly golf card, $95 for 10 rounds so a great deal for the seniors.

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Retire? I’m just hoping there’s still social security around in 20-25 years.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was planning my early retirement several years ago, Vegas, Reno, and Mesquite were the top 3 locations on my list. I also considered the Seattle area, since I have relatives out there and Arizona, since it's close to Nevada. LOL Although after weighing all the pros and cons, I decided to stay in Chicago so I sold my old house back in 2015 which was becoming a burden to maintain (not to mention the crazy high property taxes) and used part of the proceeds to buy new 2 bedroom/2 bath condo. The best decision I made so far, since I don't have to do building maintenance and shovel snow. I also have a nice heated garage which I didn't have at the old place. LOL

I may complain about the snowy winters, but I can handle the cold weather much better than the dry desert heat. Some of the other reasons that I decided not to relocate is that my friends are here, I'm familiar with the city since I was born and raised in Chicago, and the healthcare facilities in my area are very good.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Incline Village... But, I’m not the biggest fan of snow so the dilemma is real. So probably just Arizona. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BlackJackLife

BlackJackLife Already dreaming of the next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying right here in South Florida.....

Summer heat for Independence Day week...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m afraid I’ll probably never retire, but my wife is a teacher and is pretty adamant that she’s done by 60 or shortly thereafter... lucky sob lol

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fortunately, we moved to northern Nevada 35 years ago and built our life here... no need to move... seems like lots of retirees like it here too!

Following college, we had the choice of opening a business in Redding, CA or Carson City, NV... glad we came here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  15. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not even 30 yet. A long ways off but if I stick it out with my company they have a very lucrative package to retire at 55 if you have 15 years experience. So I'm keeping that age in the back of my mind. And based on projections and my current salar , that'll be easy peasy.

As far as where? I just want somewhere I can have a big ass vegetable garden year round.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pompano Beach. I own vacation rentals there now, and I like the East Coast / NYC centric energy. So I'd envision it as I'd immediately live on the ocean. Possibly later move to the golf course.

I like to fish. I can ocean fish and freshwater fish within driving distance. I like to golf, although I do prefer evergreen trees, natural elevation and blue grass, none of which are abundant in that part of Florida. But I get to play both Adios and Mar A Lago, and didn't need to pay to join either. Which is a pretty big deal, especially Adios, which I believe costs $3MM to join now. I'm a airline flight away in a worst case scenario of anywhere I'd prefer to travel to. I already play golf almost any time I want (within reason), and I already spend most of the winter in Pompano Beach in my early 50's. Since I'd just need to non-renew one lease, it's pretty much a done deal. No worries about any mortgage as I paid things off before I ever thought about spending on anything else that wasn't a necessity. And no state income tax. I already have a large and extensive social and business network in that area. It's the warmest part of the country in the winter, and it isn't close.

I'd probably come back to the Midwest for college football season. And I'd probably not spend all summer in South Florida. The only variable is that I'm not sure I'd want to maintain a residence up north. But the rent here is affordable, so that's probably what I'll do.

The tradeoffs are the healthcare isn't the best from what I've seen. Here I have the U of I Hosp. and Clinics, which is pretty good since they trade back and forth with Johns Hopkins. I actually consulted for my covid vaccination with both institutions before I made my decision. I won't have this in Florida. As much as I'd not like not to get older, the fact is I'll be getting older. And the usual course of getting older means more medical issues. For this reason alone, I go back and forth between maintaining a residence up north. It is the biggest single issue to me.

The cost of living is higher. Not significantly higher, but higher. The traffic in the winter is a hassle.

I'd imagine that this will be mostly for the winter, and due to healthcare and weather I'd probably be back and forth as needed, and back when it's hot and humid in Florida.

I've been to Arizona in the winter, and the desert doesn't suit me. Neither does Las Vegas for that matter. I spent an entire winter in Southern California, and I want nothing to do with that part of the country. An entire winter is a pretty large sample size, as compared to a casual 10 day vacation. Texas is o.k., but doesn't meet my wants and needs as well as SFla.

That's my plan, and it has already been largely executed. I've though through a lot of things, and there are some concerns, but a this point, it's where I'm headed if nothing changes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mycatspot

Mycatspot I drink my breakfast and play in my PJ's.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5FC376AD-B70C-4F1F-8D96-576DA1D93A0F.jpeg Already live where I want to retire -

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  18. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hardly anyone has mentioned Family? We don't plan on moving away from ours.
    We had a couple places in NV for investment & possibly move to when we wanted to retire?
    But changed our minds.
    I can't imagine moving away from the kids and everybody.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No wife no kids no parents and don't talk to siblings. Family is not even a factor to me when it comes to retirement. At least at this moment in time.

• Love Love x 1
  20. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got 20+ years to figure this out, but we've talked about the opposite of what most folks here are saying: getting a place in Vermont. We like winter and snow, and don't like heat and humidity, so Florida really doesn't appeal to us. Quiet place in mountains of Vermont sounds appealing.

I'd also consider desert, and maybe we will get a place for the dead of winter in Vegas if I could convince my wife. The other option is west coast, but really haven't thought too much about it yet. We both loved our couple of vacations in LA, but cost becomes a significant factor. I'd be curious to check out the Pacific NW as well at some point.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.