1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My PSA-Get your colonoscopy!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :soapbox: Time does fly and it has been 9 years since my last colonoscopy. Got my 3rd one this morning. Arrived at 5:30 AM for a 7 AM procedure. Back home by 8:30 AM.

People get one! There is no reason not to. The prep solution doesn't taste that bad and there is a little inconvenience the night before, but still, nothing awful. I started at 3 PM and was all done by 9 PM with the prep.

A little history...I got my first one when I was 55 and they found some non-cancerous polyps that were removed. So they recommended 5 years for the next one and it was all clear. 3rd one today and all clear again! Good for 10 more years!

I've told this story before. The doctor who did my first one died of colon cancer. He was only 48 and not in the recommended age group to get one. Lot of irony there.

Just get one, it's no big deal. Early detection can be a lifesaver!! Stepping off my soapbox.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had my second one last September. All clear! Thanks for the PSA @Joe!!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, it's really not that bad. I've had three, with the first one finding some non-cancerous polyps, too. I was actually awake enough to watch him snip them off. One warning .... be very careful about what you don't eat. The last time I had a salad mix several days before the procedure. Apparently, it had some very small pieces of nuts mixed in. They hung around long enough that I had to have a redo a few weeks later ... drinking even more of the solution (the last part at 2:00 a.m.!).

GG

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm due for my second one next year. Yeah, drinking all that fluid is (literally) a PITA, but it's all for your own good.

My family and ethnic background have little/no history of issues down there, so I'm on the 10 year plan.

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, get scoped.

I mentioned this previously, one of my friends from High School ( I still hang with 6 of them) passed away 10 years ago at age 51. He battled colon cancer for 6 years, unfortunately, it spread to his lungs and some bones. He had been admitted to the National Institute of Health in Bethesda for an advanced treatment. He left a widow and two young daughters.

At the same time of my buddies colon cancer diagnosis, another one of my HS friends was also diagnosed with colon cancer, he beat it and has been cancer free. I had my first one at age 48 and I'm on the 5 year plan.

6. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur on getting it. Is it amazing with how much force the body can expel something after drinking the prep

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good reminder. The day couple of days of inconvenience prepping and having the procedure sure beat having Colon Cancer.

I have a strong family history with this particular cancer and would not wish dying of this on my worst enemy.

8. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am younger without high risks factors, so for my 1st time I did Cologuard. I felt safer pooping at home than going to an outpatient center in January. In 3 years I will probably get a colonoscopy as it is the gold standard for detection.

9. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm well overdue for my second one, but I've a problem. I'm on a blood thinner and the doctor said that he wouldn't do it because of this. My cardiologist said I could stop them for 10 days, but that didn't fly. Sigh.

10. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my first (and only one so far), I scheduled it about 4 months in advance for Monday, February 5th, 2018. This was 3 days before my 51st birthday. I was just determined to finally get it while I was still 50, and I didn't pay attention to what was happening the night before. It was Super Bowl 52!!! For about the previous 10 years on Super Bowl Sunday, I would make pizzas and invite friends over to watch the game. Well, I eventually realized that for this particular Super Bowl, I was not going to be able to enjoy anything that I normally do in the food department. I would be prepping during the game (and well into the night!). Due to this, I did not invite anyone over. Not only that, but my wife was taking care of an elderly lady overnight that night, so there I was watching the Super Bowl all by myself, not able to eat anything!!! On top of that, I had to watch two teams that I despise! (I am a Giants fan, and I just hate the Patriots, because.....) Fortunately, everything was fine, and I am on the 10 year plan! Needless to say, I will never forget that night!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The title says PSA (public service announcement) - but I thought it was talking about a PSA as it relates to prostate.

And, you should keep an eye on that. That number in itself does not mean much, but it is a warning sign. That got be tested to find low level prostate cancer. Three years later, I am doing okay and still keeping an eye on on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep my 1st PSA was double digits, so was my 2nd a few weeks later, so had biopsy done and they didn't detect any cancer (detect, not cancer free) so it looks like I may get to know my urologist more than I want to. The biopsy was not bad, but the 4 day waiting period for the results is a little tense.

• Like Like x 1
  13. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, my wife gives them for work. Not something to put off, I get to hear about the prep, and the people who put it off over our dinners :nono:

14. Running late

Running late High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a family history of colon cancer, my grandfather and every one of his siblings had it. So I get them every 5 years, started at age 40. Way to celebrate those milestone birthday years! o_O

15. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My father died of Colon Cancer at 53. Was diagnosed at 43.

I had my first one at 19 and get one yearly (except 2020). Every year they find stuff so eventually I will go to the 6 month plan. So I will have my 9th coming in the next couple of months.

At least they don't make you do the chalky stuff anymore. One year I had a weird one that was just two shot's worth of this clear mucus. One 24 hours before the procedure and one 8 hours before. Tasted like vomit but it was so little that it was kinda worth it.

Big fan of Sprite and Yellow Gatorade as my drinking fluid. Even throw in some vodka early in the process just for giggles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under 50 and from what I read I didn't think my insurance would cover. Just contacted them and apparently they will cover. May have one as had a relative with it.

17. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that this is not completely on point but

18. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom passed from colon cancer at 57. I got my first colonoscopy at 41, and I'm on a 3-5 year cycle now. Was going to get one last at the 3 year mark, but it was the height of pandemic uncertainty, so talked with my GP and agreed to push it off a year. Next one should be late this year

19. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1st, 2nd, 3rd? I've lost count on how many I've had... and I'm 65 years old!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a colonoscopy at 57 and am good for 10 years.

My wife had her second one performed a few weeks ago. My poor wife was told to report at 10:30 am and of course the night prior had to stop eating and take that awful cleansing fluid.

Well at 10:30 she was informed that her procedure will be done at 4:30 pm!!!!! My poor dear wife had to stay at the hospital all this time, starving from not eating from 5 pm the previous day.

When we tried to find out WTF happened all they said was they scheduled everybody like that. Bull shit! Somebody screwed up and they won't tell.

They did provide my wife with a dark quiet room with a bed so she can nap while waiting. Like forever.:cuss: Hungry and not being able to eat anything.....:soapbox:

They found several polyps and removed them. They told her if they don't contact her within 48 hours then the polyps were benign. It turned out that way and all she has to do now is follow up with her primary physician in a month.

I don't think I have to have one for 3 more years. But yes, if it is recommended that you have one performed please do not put it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.