1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I beat the high cost of car rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by callahanha, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texascane

texascane High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure there are a million on the internet if you search.. Example being Avis A111390

I picked a random weekend in april. $66 for the weekend, plus fees gets you to $101 savings of $354.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in Vegas at the moment - booked a car at the airport for my first 2 days and also at Hertz off airport location for the remaining 10 days of my trip to save some money. Showed up at hertz and there were 5 angry people already in the office - they ran out of cars. Same at budget on the strip. Unless you have prepaid for your rental Hertz will prioritize 5 stars and President club members. Overheard the airport staff talking to each other saying they were struggling to keep cars available, also heard them tell another customer it would be a 3 to 5 hour wait for their car.

Luckily I was able to extend the car I had with Hertz from the Airport location. Cost a little more but trip was salvaged

If you are renting off airport and absolutely need a car I would definitely pre-pay your rental.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got to Avis at around 6pm on Sunday, went straight to the garage because I am preferred member. They told me it would be half hour to 45 minute wait. There were about 15 other people also waiting. The counter upstairs had probably 25 or so people in line. They got me a car in about 20 minutes. Have seen it much worse, but be prepared to wait.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

you beat me to it :D:thumbsup::jester::cowboy:

not only have rental fleets been sold off, but car makers are way behind and demand is high and dealer lots are near empty a lot of places

there is ZERO incentive for car makers right now to make a deal to rental companies to help them build their fleets.....they can sell for retail all they can build right now

• Like Like x 1
  5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

thanks for this code. I was able to book Avis for a cheaper price than Costco using this code. Probably saved 50 bucks. Price still high, $270 for a 5 day 4 night stay but cheaper than the $320 Costco rate. I just looked at Costco site and the rental prices are going up up up. Now $370 so went up $50. Trip still 3 weeks out and with the shortage of cars I expect the prices to go up rather than down.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tatterdema, thanks for sending me that other avis code. I will try them, hopefully I can find cheaper rates for my vegas rental.

OUCH! I just looked at the costo rental cars web site. Price for my rental would be $470!!! Over $150 more than when I booked a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had been searching for a decent rate for my upcoming trip with no luck at all. The comment about a corporate code got me thinking. I never use my companies corporate travel department but decided to see what they could do. Intermediate through Hertz for 4 days with an all in cost of $120. I'll gladly take that vs what I was seeing on public facing portals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. shaggyboiler

shaggyboiler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm Avis preferred as well, I'm going out on Saturday should be at rental garage around 6:00pm. I'm scared the car won't be available. Its me and 3 other guys with golf bags. Being preferred should I just go up to the garage? I've only rented a car one other time in Vegas in my 70-80 trips there. So I'm not sure what is best option.

9. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, go straight to the Preferred counter in the garage. There is hardly ever a line and they get you to your car real quick like.

10. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone run into recent issues at National?
    Have a reservation (Emerald aisle) next month at a non-LV location with an "ok" rate, more concerned they have a car.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This weekend's rental was booked a long time ago, and I got a <$15.00 a day rate. I booked a backup reservation at <$30 a day in case they don't have cars. It will probably be the last of those rates . . . ever.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  12. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a great rate!

Had any issues canceling the backup reservation? Some sites I saw appeared to now have a 7 day or 48 HR cancellation cut off.

13. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know, haven't tried yet.

Just out of curiosity, I haven't seen any CAR RENTAL sites citing cancellation cut offs. Where are you seeing that?

14. rourou

rourou subterranean roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues...
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess we should have seen this coming. A year ago the companies are in bad shape and sold off chunks of their fleets. Low visitation kept rates down as demand was still low. Higher visitation along with smaller fleets equals high pricing. No surprise there. As Dai Lin alluded to, prices will come down as they increase fleets, but not to previous levels. I don't see them increasing fleets dramatically. I think this past year has taught them to run lean and mean. The days of super deals or even good ones are probably gone. I don't plan on going down until next Oct and by then we might know what the new norm is. I might vary from having a car with me the whole trip. we'll wait and see.

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably heard it on VMB!!

I need to rent a pickup truck for a mattress, but the rates are sky high locally. Uhaul wants $20 plus $.69 per mile and it would be a 190 mile trip. A local Turo listing was about $150 for the day with 200 miles allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where/how did you get that under $30 rate?

18. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That, like the <$15.00 rate were acquired before rates started going up. I booked direct with Enterprise for that rate. The <$15.00 rate was with Budget through Costco.

Here's the <$15.00 rental
    BudgetRental.jpg
    Here's the <$30/day rental
    enterprise_rental.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, after looking at my current rental for the upcoming Silver Strike tournament, I opted to rent a U-haul downtown. The rental rate at the airport is $239.28 and the UHaul rate (with 100 miles and including their LDW) is <$100.

The rental place is located at 2030 E Fremont St.

Props to OP @callahanha for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  20. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:

For a short term rental like moving a mattress it's a shame to pay for a whole day.
    Did you try renting a Menard's pickup truck?
    $50 deposit $18.95 for the first 75 minutes $5 for each additional 15 minutes.
    .30 per mile driven.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 180136.jpg

.30 x 190 = $57 + $18.95 and tax/gas might even turn out to b a better deal than Turo!
    Turo doesn't include insurance.....Menard's just requires proof of current valid insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.