1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wynn - Costa di Mare - a few questions

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by NickyJ, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyJ

NickyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading back to the Wynn next month. Never tried Bartolotta, and have yet to eat at Costa di Mare. However, after recently watching Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy, decided to make it a splurge special occasion meal for the trip.

I see they have outdoor cabanas. If available, is it worth requesting one? I can't tell if there is other outdoor patio seating, or only the cabanas.

The menu is a bit intimidating, lots of choices. I'm wondering if the tasting menu is a good way to go for the first time, although it looks like a lot of food! Are there any a la carte dishes that are highly recommended? It says their whole fish serves two or more people and is priced per person. Does that mean you can't get a single order of one?

I read that the Encore will soon be reopening full time. Does anyone know if/when the Wynncore restaurants that are currently closed mid-week will expand their hours?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!!

• Love Love x 1
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're in luck, I was just there last week. Pretty much everything is good, but the fish is indeed pretty huge. If solo, you're probably better off with the other seafood -- their printed menu does not actually reflect what they offer on a particular evening, because they get random fish from other parts of the world all the time. For example, last time the server was all excited about them getting some live crab from Japan, which they said only happens once a month or so.

Also, I'd recommend going earlier rather than later. They run out of stuff.

They indeed have outdoor patio seating.

The pasta is very good, and smaller portions. I do think it's one of those places where the ideal move is to be with a bunch of people, order a lot of stuff, and share, but the pasta portions can definitely be for one. And it's possible they'll have smaller fish on the particular day you're there. As far as the pasta, my favorites are the bavette and the garganelli. The mains unfortunately don't interest me, because I don't eat beef/veal and don't bother with roast chicken at restaurants.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Love Love x 2
  3. NickyJ

NickyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @44inarow - Thanks, I appreciate your insight!!

I did some additional online searching and found a not-too-old restaurant review on Endo Edibles. I always like looking at his food pics. https://endoedibles.com/?p=109753

4. Kachow

Kachow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costa Di Mare is amazing. The Gran Menu Di Mare tasting menu is spectacular, but as you mentioned, it is a tremendous amount of food, and if you go that route you really need to add the grigliatti supplement and have a langoustine. The anniversary meal I had there with my wife was the best meal I have ever had. Honestly though, the least impressive part of the meal was the whole fish, as you’re stuffed by the time you get to that course, and it’s a tad bland compared to the rest of the dishes. I would suggest you go and ask the waiters for suggestions, as they are super informed and helpful. Also, the outside cabana seating requires $150 per person spend, so it makes sense if you are doing that to go with the tasting menu. I think the next time we go back we will probably just talk to the waiters and get a few of the dishes that are in that menu, but skip the baked fish, and get some langoustines ala carte. Here are some pics from our meal there in a cabana. 2D89ECE4-68B9-4674-B0F9-C5BFC3A77D4B.jpeg DB2EBB80-411F-4A70-8E5C-167E9BA7BB6C.jpeg A619481E-B1E3-48F0-ABF6-BE267C74046C.jpeg EA4000E9-A39E-4CB9-93E9-CD6A26BCE142.jpeg D460678E-BA18-4965-A0CD-5C106DA8AA53.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 3
  5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE that Stanley Tucci series as well!

On your question, I've dined there now three or four times and each time I was solo. Love the place. Bummed I didn't try it earlier - from the outside looking in it didn't seem approachable to me -- but better late than never!

For my last meal there I'm pretty sure I had sole, for one.

My first time there I dined in one of the cabanas or at least a table outside. There's a minimum I think of $150 or $175 for the outside tables but I had planned to splurge with special dishes, cocktails and wine . . . so I hit the minimum. :) It was lovely though I like sitting inside as well, along the window looking out on the fish pond and the outdoor tables.

I have reservations there for the first night of my upcoming trip. Yep, I'll be there at 6 pm two weeks from tomorrow! I'd be happy to check whatever you'd like me to check when I'm there.

And Encore has already reopened to 7 days a week!!! Yay!!!!! I just checked the website and, as expected, both Jardin and Wazuzu are now open every day!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo: Sinatra is now serving on Sundays in addition to Thursdays through Saturdays. Unfortunately the new Mexican restaurant closed during the pandemic.

When are you going to be at Wynncore?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
  6. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This is all exciting as I booked Costa for the first time in my 4 years of visiting wynncore. There's a ladyluck hq video where they try costa and they raved about it.

And regarding, the minium spend, mizumi has the same threshold for their outdoor seating. Given the prices of the food, I think it's rather low...I think they're better off doing a table minimum of 500.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is a fantastic dining experience. You can order a dinner-sized portion of any dish, I believe.

8. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree but that would suck for us solo diners, so I'm really glad the minimum is as it is.

That's one of the many things I love about Wynncore. I never feel any less special than any other guest even though I'm typically dining alone without a large group tab, though I like group dining too. I'm also never put in some far off corner like you hear some restaurants do to solo diners. That's so messed up and just doesn't make great business sense from a reputational standpoint. You don't want to get a rep for treating solo diners as "less than", especially with all of the Vegas restaurant options and with, I assume, solo dining becoming more not less popular as folks feel more comfortable doing it and traveling on their own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Texaschameleon

Texaschameleon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely love Costa di Mare. I have dined there twice. Once at the bar and another outside where the minimum was never mentioned. I was impressed that they offered the outside table since I was a solo diner.

I asked if I could order the tasting menu (which is not allowed at many places for less than two) and they were happy to accommodate.

The food and service is truly fabulous.

I have a girl's trip in two weeks and we will be staying at Cosmo the first two days then moving to Wynn for three nights. I will be solo the 25th and 26th and can't wait to go back as there are so many delicious options.
    20201128_213837.jpg

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. NickyJ

NickyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the pictures and additional information!!

There's been a change of plans! Today three new Master Classes were added to the Wynn website. One is the pasta making class with Chef LoRusso. It's during my trip, so I booked it! It's on a Thursday, and the only day Costa di Mare is open during my mid-week stay. I'm still debating, but I don't know that I want to have lunch and dinner there on the same day. I'm really glad I can catch the Master Class, and jumped at the chance, but may hold off on having dinner there until next trip. Decisions, decisions...

@Flowers, if it's not a bother, I'd love a picture of the current menu. I see on the Wynn website that the tasting menu is $150/person. However, I found a menu posted online from September 2020 that shows a price of $165/person? On a different topic, I'd also welcome any updates re the spas. I want to use my spa credit and book a treatment at the Wynn spa. I assume the spa amenities will still be closed due to covid, so a good time to visit the remodeled Wynn spa for the first time. However, if they should resume, I'd consider rebooking it at the Encore. Looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks all!!

• Love Love x 1
  11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those new classes are great and the one you are doing is the one I did at Costa back in the fall. It was FANTASTIC!! And yes, I think you do NOT want to have lunch at Costa as part of the master class and then return the same day for dinner. You should totally savor the Master Class/lunch experience. You will have an awesome time! When I took the class I had no idea a meal was going to be served and so I was pleasantly surprised. It was perfect and I was able to walk around outside around the pond and take pictures, etc. It's a very intimate experience.

Regarding the spas, yes per my host the water treatment areas are still closed, which I expected. That's a matter of state regulations I believe. My guess is it is still going to be some time before the wet areas open, maybe by the summer. And I think that's a good move in terms of using this time to check out the remodeled Wynn spa. I'm staying at Wynn for my upcoming trip but if the wet treatment areas were open I'd move to Encore and be in the Encore spa almost every day!

ETA: And I'd be happy to take a picture. I just added a note to my itinerary so I can remember. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  12. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. Excellent service and treating solo diners with respect!!!! Your trip sounds awesome. Maybe I'll see you at Wynncore! I'll be heading to Death Valley in the morning of the 26th and returning the evening of the 27th but I'll be hitting the floor upon my return, if I'm not too wiped out from DV!

ETA: Around the 25th but away most of the 26th and 27th.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. Texaschameleon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to meet up for dinner or drinks when you get back from DV if you aren't too wiped out.

• Love Love x 1
  14. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For sure!

15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I misspoke, getting dates mixed up. I'm heading to DV on Monday, the 26th and returning the evening of the 27th so I'll be at Wynn on Sunday the 25 when you're there. From early afternoon until I go to bed I'll be camped out at Wynn so would be great to connect on Sunday if that works for you.

I just spent about 10 hours cleaning and going through clothes enough for 3 months . . . now whittled down to about a month . . . and now I need to cut what I'm taking in half. Progress!!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. NickyJ

NickyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Flowers - One of these days our trips will align and I'd love to meet up for drinks too! :)

• Love Love x 1
  17. Texaschameleon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's perfect. My friends leave early afternoon so maybe we can have drinks or dinner. I am looking forward to it

• Love Love x 1
  18. Texaschameleon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will have spent two nights with a Vegas first timer and a Vegas newbie so definitely will need to get my gambol on as well

• Love Love x 1
  19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too!

20. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you. Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.