1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hosted? and other host questions

Discussion in 'Comps' started by ReTriggerMe, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps its just me, but I've had a few experiences with hosts that left me unclear; are you my host?
    (Apologies for the lengthy context for the questions)

A a California local, a host sought me out during a long session, max bet, handed me her card, told me to call for anything. I knew I had a host.

I stopped in the Cosmopolitan host office last Fall, and a very friendly host-on-duty answered some questions, reviewed my history, gave some advice. Handed me her card, told me to call if I ever needed anything. Am I obtuse? Was that an indication that she was my host? I thought she was just being polite.

Next trip to Cosmopolitan, I stopped in host office, reviewed my play with host-on-duty, made mention of advice from prior trip. Asked if I was "host-worthy" , was told yes, had my spend back-end comped, and got her card. Same exact comment "call me if you need anything." Glad it was clear that I had a host, it still left me a bit confused.

I left Aria yesterday. Day two of my trip,, I wandered into host office, to ask about an invitation slot tournament, and "is my play on track to earn me a host?" A host handed me her card, told to check back for codes to the slot tournament. The host saw me on floor next day, confirmed I got her message about the slot tournament. I asked if she could help get me late checkout. She called me later to confirm late checkout.

I stopped by host office morning of checkout, she was working in a different location. I didn't play as much as intended, I really only wanted to ask if I'd done enough to catch a host's attention. Host-on-duty called her. Quick call, hung up, "she said to tell you she's taken care of your bill." That surprised me. My bill, after f&b on an offer, was near $500.

I followed up by email later, thanked her, and the reply was:
    You are very welcome. I am happy to help. I hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend.

We hope to see you here again soon.
    And, once again, I don't know if I have a host.

So, with that too-long explanation, my question is:

in the absence of a host approaching a player, or at least saying "I'd like to be your host," how does a player know if hosted, or if a host simply took care of something?

• Like Like x 1
  2. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are told to call me if you need anything, I assume they are offering to be my host. That happened to me at Aria. Next time I got an offer, I called the host and she set everything up for me and took off any charges on back end! Just choose which person you want as a host and contact them to set up your next trip.

Happy Birthday to Me!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kachow

Kachow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they give you their card and ask you to call them for anything, I assumed that means they want to book my next trip and be given credit for it. So, yes, basically they are your host, unless you don’t want them to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, how would you interpret "I'm happy to have helped," and "we hope to see you here again soon"?

To be precise, there was never any "call me" except for follow up to my inquiry to see if I could get into slot tournament.

I guess that, if I want to stay at Aria again, I'll reach out and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Kachow

Kachow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoot them an email about setting up your next trip and ask what they can offer. If you are playing enough to get room, some F&B, and some free play and they also take everything off the backend, I assume they probably view you as “host worthy”. Of course, the offers likely won’t be any different than what you can book yourself, but it adds a little personal touch to the experience and I assume that if you continue on booking through them and over time continue to be a strong player for them, eventually maybe they can’t do a little bit better than the corporate offers, but I wouldn’t expect much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ATLMM

ATLMM High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes you're get a host assigned to you, sometimes a host can initiate the relationship themselves. I think when you're assigned a host it's pretty obvious like you said. But when they just offer you their card in a casual setting like that it's probably then looking at your play and seeing an opportunity to expand their portfolio of player. You may not officially be their player yet, but they are willing to assume that role and likely once they get coded to one of your reservations then it becomes more official.

That method can sometimes be better because you can feel out if you like a certain host based on your initial interaction. Once when I was assigned a host I didn't like them because they never reached out to me or sent me anything other than the obligatory birthday card. I got dropped after 2 years of not coming in and when I started back I got assigned to a new host that I really like. I think it's better when we have the opportunity to interact with a host before the relationship becomes hard wired.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TXactuarial

TXactuarial VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tangentially related - let's say I'm staying at a property for the first time and plan to do a good amount of gambling there. I used credit card points to book the room - but should I cancel and use my credit card instead in the hopes of getting a comp?

8. MidnightBJ

MidnightBJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am pretty sure you need to book a trip with them before they are coded to you. At this point, you can still pick your host. Once coded, other hosts at the same property can’t ‘steal’ you. But, on-duty hosts can still provide assistance for some limited items when your host isn’t on the clock. However, they might refer you back to your host for most requests.

If a host on-duty thinks you are with having, they will provide great service and try to get you to book with them in the future and then you would get coded to them. Do you know what your tier credit earning was on this trip? Make sure to back out anything from spend. Tier credits earned divided by 33 is your Theo. If you are doing at least $1000 Theo per day, then even an aria host will take a chance on you, hoping for bigger play down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My tier credits divided by 33 divided by nights-stayed was less than $1000 per day. No spend to back-out... it was covered back-end.

Different issue, but I think I was over-compd. Wonder if there're discretionary comps... there was a snafu on my reservation, it was my birthday, etc.

10. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Mlife in the Vegas market, that would only be applicable for TCs earned through table play.

@ReTriggerMe You might have gotten a bit more generous back end because of your birthday. Once you book and complete your next stays at Aria and Cosmo through the hosts there who gave you the "call me" invitation (or, if you already have trips booked, inform them of the confirmation numbers), you will definitely be coded to those hosts as long as your play stays consistent.

Other places make it easier to know if you are hosted. At Cosmo, check your Identity profile online (not the offers page when logged in, but the "Profile" page -- https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/identity/profile) to see if a host might be listed there. If a host is not there, then my tiny bit of intel about that might be wrong -- but still continue to operate as though you are officially coded to your host contact there. At Venetian, your host will definitely appear in the online Grazie Rewards portal. For CET, your host(s) will appear in the Caesars Rewards mobile app, but nowhere else (AFAIK).

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm fairly confident I'm hosted at Cosmopolitan. I've communicated with host who applied back-end early March; she's asked me to book future stays by contacting her. Her name does not appear on profile page. I've yet to book a stay with host, next stay was booked before I met her.

Don't know about Aria, guess I'll learn if/when I contact the host who got me into slot tourney, arranged late checkout, and applied back-end comps for my spend.. about future stays.

I'm already booked on MLife offers throughout the year, different properties. Didn't want to miss out on offers as time elapsed, LV recovered, etc. I'd cancel and rebook with host, move to Aria, etc... if I knew I was hosted.....but that's a whole different topic, and I don't want to derail my own thread.

12. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your entire food and bev bill is comped off on the back end (or if you come in RFB) you are “host-worthy” at that property. Some places will assign you a host even if your level of play falls short if that.

If you book a trip directly with a host instead of on a website or on a 1-800 number, you are “hosted.”

13. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your host can book you at any MGM property. Maybe contact “your” host and them you are already booked at other MGM properties but would love to come back to Aria and was there anything she could do for you.

Happy Birthday to Me!
  14. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ReTriggerMe , for what it matters, I believe the Aria host who covered your bill is already your host.

15. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'll wait a few days, let Spring break rush pass, contact the host who helped at Aria, and ask some clarification questions. Such as:

Should I contact you for future reservations? I'll know more if she says yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would contact her and explain you have other trips booked based on offers.
    Ask her if she would like to rebook those for you and if she would like you to move to Aria.
    Don't worry about your play being host worthy.
    Host are looking to rebuild their book as the pandemic winds down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This!

Happy Birthday to Me!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For mlife, at least, I would reach out to the VIP number or email & ask if any host is coded to me for Aria.

If you want to book through the host, that’s fine but I wouldn’t ask her “are you my host?” nor would I agree to have her coded to me until I saw how she took care of me on my trip - start to finish. Just tell her you’re new to this host thing & want to see how the trip goes if the conversation comes up.

I’ve had good & bad hosts. Responsive & unresponsive hosts. At Mandalay in particular, I’m on my fifth host, primarily due to turnover. A couple hosts booked trips for me without being coded to me. Fit with you & your expectations is important.

Had I joined VMB earlier in my gambling career, I would’ve asked for host recommendations. Breaking in a new host gets me anxious in a blind date kind of way. You hope for the best but you really don’t know if it will work out. Word of mouth is huge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My interpretation of this is you are in the catbird seat,
    host worthy, but not yet coded to any host.

You can pick the one that seems most responsive, or just continue to use the host on duty, because you know, they do have days off,
    until you find the best one for you that tries the hardest.

Just a thought, not much host experience...
    but as @DaiLun and others here have taught me, once you find one that works with you, give some tokens of appreciation back...

the host on duty or the host that finds you might not be your best host.. and It's awkward, but you can ask to switch hosts is yours just doesn't work for you...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Kachow

Kachow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What would be considered an appropriate gift for a host?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.