1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sight for sore eyes! COVID Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mescalita, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The good news here is that our county has opened up two new shot clinic locations, and appointments are available today, or at least as long as they last.

The bad news is that I personally still do not qualify, but I see this as a positive sign that my eligibility might indeed open up on the pushed-back schedule of next Monday.

Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if posted already, but I saw the vaccine finder has been expanded and the CDC is pushing it as a resource.

https://vaccinefinder.org/

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to poo-poo this, but I just checked it and got an immediate pop-up that says current data is accurate for four states and others may be old or bad.

I checked my zip code and yes, it pops up a map of pharmacies in the area, but all but one I know are NOT giving shots in the area!

Not to be a total b*tch, but things like this confuse and frustrate those of us who are actively looking for shots! I have been following almost every lead I can find and it irks me when somebody publishes yet another vaccine site that just copies lists of pharmacies that may or may not be actually taking appointments and giving shots! (Yeah I know, b*tch b*tch b*tch!)

4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don’t qualify yet as you stated, is there any point in looking before you do qualify? Are they allowing people to book before they qualify?

5. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the start of the next phase of vaccine rollout in DC this morning was a disaster. it was supposed to be open to under 65 with pre-existing conditions beginning today... and somebody done went and forgot to update the website - so only 65+ could get appointments.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The expansion to the next phase in MA (with a shitload more people) has been a complete disaster two weeks in a row.

Week 1 everything just crashed. Week 2, they don't have the back-end systems communicating properly, so the larger "mass vaccination" centers show availability on one page, but when you go to pick a date and time, it shows no slots avaiable.

Obviously demand way outstrips supply. The problem is, more supply isn't going to fix the systems problems.

Even though I'm patient and don't expect to get a shot for several weeks, it's infuriating to see the lack of "what-if" scenario planning that went into this and the amount of time people are having to waste.

They should have used a pre-registration system where you picked a radius you're willing to travel, they randomly assigned appointments, notified you, you have 24 hours to confirm or someone else gets that slot and they throw your ping pong ball back in the barrel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Some might find this interesting :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! Things change daily, if not hourly! No, they allow bookings of appointments for those who "qualify" and that definition of "qualify" changes without notice and almost arbitrarily. I check the state and county sites at least once daily.

The latest change was the opening of two new shot clinics which only appeared on one site (that I know of) recently. One person I know who had an appointment way into March is getting his first shot today because I spammed out the URL to those I know who do now qualify and may not know of it. The local media are sooooooo lame and late in reporting and often inaccurate.

I check (what appears to be) the authoritative county source on who qualifies when a few times per day, in case there is a change, good or bad. There was an unannounced change last weekend where my age group, which was supposed to qualify last Monday was pushed back to this coming Monday, with the excuse being the weather and shipping issues. I'll give them the excuse this once. I continue to watch the web sites and put up with the media reports and keep asking around if anyone has heard anything.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been checking for appointments for weeks several times a day with no luck. I checked Tuesday for an appointment and there were openings in a pharmacy a 15 minute walk from my house. I got my Pfizer Dose 1 yesterday.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's true.

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble finding reliable information in your state. Some states seem to be getting the hang of it and others are still struggling. Things are getting better, but just not quite everywhere yet. More vaccines are coming. We expect J&J's one shot vaccine to get emergency approval any time now. Supply has been woefully inadequate, but it is improving weekly. Most states are working their way through the first group and moving on to over 65's. I'm waiting for my state to finish the 65+ group, my group is after them. Some days I'm fine that my group hasn't been called yet and other days I'm so angry about it I could spit nails, as grandma used to say for some unknown reason. You're certainly not alone.

I think the US has made a lot of progress in the last couple weeks and things are looking good for late spring and early summer for wider vaccine availability. We will get there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got our first Moderna dose today. It was a 4 hour trip door to door but I was OK with that. I expected pandemonium and a long wait but we were nearly the only people in the store (Rite Aid) and were done even before our appointment times. Have to go back to the same place in a month but so be it.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds very frustrating with constant changes. Hope you are able to get an appointment soon.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI - I just posted a couple of articles referring to things discussed in my last post. https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?posts/2175914/

Specifically there is a story about the VaccineFinder tool and why it's just four states right now.

Also, a story about UPS expecting to increase shipments by 40% next week. More vaccines coming, means more people will be eligible soon. *fingers crossed*

• Like Like x 1
  14. Allee

Allee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to share...I had the privilege of working a vaccine POD yesterday and today for individuals with severe mental illness or in substance use recovery living in congregate settings. The vibe was awesome and the room was filled with hope! I’m sorry for all of those still waiting but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel!

• Love Love x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I didn't remember to post it my friend who is a few years older & her husband did actually get the 1st dose about 5 days after the cancelled appointment. For some reason they did these at the local clinic vs. the drive-up setting they have been running.

Texas is WAY further ahead of some of us, even with the bad weather they had. My cousins (early 30's) just received their 1st dose earlier this week. I asked WTF? & was told that it's because they both work int he financial industry. Texans LIKE THEIR MONEY was what my aunt told me lol!!! I may need to fly to Texas to get mine....(gee, I'm a Type 1 diabetic banker!). ABA had been pushing for financial workers to be in the group after medical, first responders etc. However Wisconsin definitely did NOT do that.

Easter again..:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This T1D accountant may need to get to Tejas somehow... count ze money, get ze jab, ja? :evillaugh: Oh well, I should qualify by CA’s standards (which say T2Ds should be vaccinated earlier but not T1Ds??? :hmmm::thumbsdown::nono:) on 3/14 due to being extra-fat... anti-scientific medical sizeism FTW I guess :whistle::woohoo::woot::cool:

17. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boom - scheduled for Wednesday.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  18. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was luckily able to get Moderna dose #1 at Rite Aid yesterday. Arm soreness is much worse than I expected. Cant wait to get the 2nd jab and start getting excited for my May trip

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally found 1 for one of my 90yo in laws. Couldn't make the appointment for them in their name on line. So now I am on my second hour of waiting on the phone for help to get appointment changed into her name. So far I've talked to the store pharmacy, the instore clinic, and now I am waiting for corporate customer service to help. Already waited on hold once for over 1/2 an hour to be transferred 3 times and then disconnected.:mad:

Then I get to do this all over again for my FIL.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got the first Moderna shot Jan.15.
    Zero side effects and my arm was not even sore.
    Two weeks later had cold symptoms and went for a Covid test and tested positive.
    It was 3 days of a sinus congestion.
    Second shot on Feb 12 and that was a little different.
    24 hours later arm was really sore and had a fever of 100 with a bad headache.
    Took Tylenol and felt better by 9pm that night. Arm was sore for another 24 hours.
    My wife had pretty much the exact same side effects with the second dose .
    I've done an informal poll of friends and relatives who had both Moderna shots.
    15 people had both shots.4 had no side effects at all . 11 had mild to moderate side effects.
    When you get them ,at least you know what it is and it will be for a short time.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.