1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Face masks...your most comfortable style/material?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mganut, Feb 22, 2021.

1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it isn't very safe but I usually wear something called a bandana mask. It is like a bandana but it has ear loops and a string that ties around the back of your head so it stays on all the time. I never have a problem with my exhales going up towards my sunglasses. I especially use it at the gym because I have a hard time breathing with the regular masks when I am doing cardio so these masks work fine for me.

I usually try to stay away from everyone even when at Costco or sam's (go during the senior hours so not as busy) so the bandana masks work fine for me. I got them in vegas in December - at Walmart for $3.99 and I use it when I go walking too.

I do have a bunch of cloth masks but since I don't go out much I hardly ever wear them. The only time I need to wear those masks is when I go to government buildings and medical buildings, they don't allow bandana type masks (t shirts over nose, etc.).

I figure after I get vaccinated these bandana masks should be fine for me to use.

2. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    KN95 while not always easy to wear are simply the best at protecting you or others. I think the CDC is now saying if not in a 95 you should wear a surgical mask with a cloth mask over it. I stick to the 95 almost all the time. But when I need a break or it is going to be quick under a few minutes I have found these to be decent. Amazon.com: Disposable Face Masks, Pack of 50 Black Face Masks: Industrial & Scientific But as @bull0120 said they are not the best for the environment.
    Do yourself a favor and no matter what you wear make sure you fit it right.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need some help as when I wear a mask for more than an hour or so I start to break out on my face.

Cloth are not quite as bad. The disposables set off huge pimply breakouts.

Any suggestions?

Luckily I work from home most of the time.

4. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Real comfy .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Love Love x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched to KN95 from the disposable surgical style masks when they became more readily available. I no longer use cloth masks. The KN95 fits better, provide better protection, and they have about the same comfort level as the surgical masks at least for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I have that problem too. Not breathing helps. LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same as any acne breakout, really - gentle cleansing, spot treatment that is appropriate for your skin/age, and then making sure your mask is new/clean. I've seen a lot of dermatologists on the morning tv shows talking about maskne!

https://www.nytimes.com/article/maskne-acne.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mostly wear a Universal Studios mask daily. I wash them frequently and let air dry.
    One - white and the other one - blue. I have several others but these are my favorite.
    Outer Layer: 100% Polyester / Inner Layer: 100% Cotton.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.56.10 AM.png

9. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer disposable. I don't go outside much at home. When I went to Vegas, I went disposable and just threw them out daily.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ToroAzul

ToroAzul Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surgical paper masks, level 2.

Ties are superior to ear loops.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As added safety, those would keep me away. :) Yankees logo also.

12. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have purchased face masks from a company called Stark's Vacuum company. The masks are three layers of washable polyester/cotton fabric with a polypropylene filter layer. They have a flap that goes over the nose which helps to prevent your glasses from fogging(it works). The ear loops are adjustable and the masks come in several colors. They sell for $12.95, but if you order four you get one free. I find these masks comfortable and have bought several for members of my family. My dentist was impressed with my mask during my appointment last week; so much so that he went on line to order some. I have placed a couple of orders over the past 6 months and their shipping has been timely and no issues with my orders. Good product.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remarked to my receptionist how liberating it felt to go outside the office the remove the mask. She mentioned its how a woman feels when she gets home and removes her bra! I told her, I couldn't quite relate but, if she thought she would be more productive working without a bra, go ahead. The mask policy would of course still be enforced...for everyone's safety.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only thing I don't like about the 95s is that they're boring. I've taken to the masks as part of an overall fashion-related item, and have a pretty decent collection at this point. I also rotate them by season/event.
    • "Tell Your Dog I Said Hi" (main one, I get comments all the time)
    • "I Like Dogs and Maybe Three People (new, also get comments)
    • VGK masks for game days
    • Raiders masks for game days
    • Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas
    • A couple plain black ones
    • "VOTE" (which I wore all election season)
    It's like with the lapel pins, where I wear flag pins for meetings, one of my "Vegas Strong" pins normally, and VGK logo pins on game days.

• Like Like x 3
  15. jj_sparty

jj_sparty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sold me, I just bought two. They will bring my cloth mask total to ten... eleven once my Pickle Rick mask arrives. I’ve been double masking of late to prep for travel. The cloth are the most comfortable hands down and the KN95 and/or other single use masks don’t bug me too much. It’s the damn fogging that drives me nuts.

16. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found the typical disposable to be the most comfortable for me. Sonya mentioned double masking up here, but I guess I missed that one. I have been to get blood work done and a visit to my primary. In both cases I had my disposable on with nothing said. At both locations again, numerous people with cloth masks were asked to wear the disposable over the cloth or the disposable by itself. Did I miss the alert on cloth masks?

17. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is all so frustrating as I keep the cloth (all cotton) washed. The disposables- one batch wasn’t too bad while the others I had to bury deep & only use in an emergency because they caused an immediate reaction. No make-up. Bare Escentuals cleanser so no weird chemical additives. And I’m 58. I should be long past this. 4 days in Vegas is going to send me back to horrid open sores like I had from Biloxi.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're having a more immediate reaction, it might not be acne, more contact dermatitis. One recommendation I got from a derm (on tv! but not qvc) was calendula cream from Boiron - in theory walmart & target carry it but I had to order from amazon because I live in the middle of nowhere. It's a nice calming cream - I've used for some rashes I've had - not from masks - but that was what the original recommendation was. Also putting a layer of cream on before masking helps physically prevent chafing, if that happens to be the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @jgates8 It also might be worth changing to a more gentle laundry powder. My OH has to use the type designed for babies for everything since his diagnosis with skin cancer. It has helped him a lot. It's the only thing we use at home now.

20. pultzar

pultzar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FOGGING - I work in a production facility where everyone has to wear safety glasses. Well with masks on we had a fogging pandemic. We just bought antifog spray from Amazon and bingo, we are good. Just gotta follow the instructions correctly when applying and wiping. Any one with good reviews will work.

• Informative Informative x 2