1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car Security

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bond, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you are worried about the car being stolen, nothing is going to stop them, just slow them up...an alarm with starter disable is a start but can easily be bypassed...an inline switch hidden that cuts power to the fuel pump is the cheapest and best solution, if they want it they will tow it

the club doesnt work at all, lol, stay away from all that stuff

if you are worried about carjackings and dont own a gun or several guns, get a gps tracker installed

while I travel with several guns for my protection, my cars have Automile GPS trackers hidden in them. simply tap into 12volt power and ground and hide it somewhere good. it updates in real time or however you set it up, alerts, geofence ect. mine was $70 on amazon, 1 year free tracking and $6.50-$8 a month after that depending how you pay for the next subscription

2. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That looks like a slightly simplified version of what the company I used to work for had for our truck fleet tracking. I could be comfortable with that, especially since I already have the State Farm tracker installed. An extra step that might get the car back.

I would probably move before I start carrying a gun. Cars can be replaced, so they could just have the car if it comes to that.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to the dealer, they have an option for the car that I am off-and-on looking at, that hides a tracker in an undisclosed place, different place on each car they install it on, which will radio the GPS coordinates of the car in the event it is stolen.

4. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like the new version of my car has that too. I'm wondering how many other new cars might offer that. I wasn't really thinking about getting a new car yet.

5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lojack is another after market security system that uses a special tracking device installed on your vehicle and it's integrated with many state/local law enforcement agencies for recovering stolen vehicles.

I have an fairly new Acura RDX that is GPS enabled, so with their Acura Link system (similar to GM's OnStar), they can assistant LE in locating my car, if stolen.

6. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the automile one I have, it will alert you if power is disconnected, but it has plenty options to alert as you need it...inside the tracker it has a lithium cell phone battery if the power is cut

while the trackers that are integrated through the car itself MAY help get your car back after you know its gone or carjacked, the downside to the integrated ones is that they run through the antenna on top of the car, so car thieves know to knock the antenna lose which isnt hard as some people here may have already had a carwash knock them off lol and you pull the wires out. now you dont have anymore satellite radio but you also eliminate the tracker and on-star

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on some police reports I have seen, a high percentage of stolen cars have the keys in them.
    Also, high percentage of cars broken into had valuables in plain site.

Just some heads up.

Car jackings are real scary stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCoop

SuperCoop Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May want to review your insurance policy and coverages in addition to buying another security device. The carjacking incidents sound horrible and traumatizing. But auto theft with no injury to you or others is just property loss and that’s why we pay for insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did look at it recently as my agent had just called to let me know that I was getting another discount so we reviewed my coverages, and we talked about all of the thefts in the metro a bit.

The keys are always with me.

I've never been in the habit of leaving the car running when I'm not in it, even for a minute. If I'm going to let it warm up in the kind of temps we're having this week I'm sitting in the car (freezing). Although up until this started I wouldn't have been doing that with the doors locked. I don't tend to keep anything in the car of value.

10. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The flavor of the month being used by criminals here on the south side is the bump technique- they bump you causing a minor accident, pull along side saying they think they hit you, you pull over and get out, and they shove a gun in your face and steal your car. They especially target solo female drivers. My wife doesn’t even go anywhere at night unless I accompany her.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been going out a whole lot after dark lately. If I'm stopping at a light, I try to leave a space in case a car comes up like that to try to bump me or get too close so I can move up. I was rear-ended pretty badly on 35W about 20 years ago, so I'm maybe a little hyper-aware of other cars sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2021
  12. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever you do, keep on doing the things you’ve mentioned to keep you as safe as possible. :thumbsup:

New car is an idea, but hopefully you don’t take as long as I have deciding on what you want! :kill:

Coming in Earlier, Who Does That???
  13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a 2005 Volvo S60 with the 2.5 turbo, very zippy, fun to drive, a beater car that will run about $1k, the all wheel drive is pretty reliable (I believe they use the Haldex system), just make sure the drive shaft is connected. Awesome heated seats.

You won't draw a second glance.

14. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should probably start researching so that when the time comes for a new car, I'll know exactly what I want. I'm usually pretty decisive though.:hmmm:

I had bought my ex a used Volvo 240 when we were first married after he totaled a car about this time of year. It lasted a pretty long time for what we paid for it. I only really drove it when it needed to go into the shop though. Finally, the repair bills became too much.

15. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can solve the freezing or sweating in the car while it warms up with Remote Start, you can get a stand alarm unit or one that is integrated with an alarm system...press the button and it starts right up, leave the air or heat on the day before and it will be comfy when you get in...

no worries about it running unattended as if you do the one with the alarm, setting the alarm off anyway which includes opening the door will shut the car off, without an alarm or without alarm set, pressing the brake without the key turned to the on position will also shut it down and you have press the brake to get 99% of the cars out of gear

end of the day its up to you what you are looking for...in any situation, dont fight for the car if you are being strong armed

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hollywood31

Hollywood31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yep. Had one with my first car, but it went from wheel to brake.

17. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. Think about it, if your car does get stolen, do you want it back? Automatic reaction is "of course", but in reality, what has been done to the car since it was stolen? How much damage, how much work is going to be needed to fix it, etc. For me, I think I'd rather just get a new car.

This is in response to the trackers. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the car stolen to begin with, and I'm all for preventing the initial theft. But once it's been stolen? Give me the insurance, and let me start over.

18. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately on many policies if it's not totalled you might be stuck getting it fixed. Had a guy at work with a brand new car, had a big hail storm... He ended up with a new car with lots of body work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should get around to putting in a remote start, but then there goes a bit of my tough Minnesota can deal with any weather image.:D

I would not put up a fight for the car believe me.

If it was a case where the police could get the car back quickly, possibly. If the car was found later after who knows what might have happened to it, likely not.

20. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding is that if it's not found, then after XX amount of time it's deemed totalled, even if it ends up being recovered after that time. I may be wrong on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.