1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hugo's Cellar review

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by westie, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy going there. I guess I don't have to worry about bumping into Mr Curtas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His self aggrandizing snobbery is as predictable as he claims Hugo's menu is.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, that's not a sugar cone!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Air-oh-guntz and condeesension! Thank the stars that a mere mortal such as myself has someone like this to save me. I can see now that I should ignore the 85-90% good reviews I've read here and elsewhere for many years. Never eaten there myself, but have read very few negatives about it. Is the decor dated? Maybe and just maybe it's intentional to give that old Vegas vibe. No mention of multiple visits, so his complaints about service/server presentation might be a wrong night, wrong server thing. It happens. Not my type of reviewer.

• Love Love x 1
  6. LKG276

LKG276 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is without a doubt one of the biggest ****** bag reviews I have ever read. It reads like he came in to slam the place with no open minded impression what so ever.

We just had dinner there 2 weeks ago and loved it, honestly a better experience over all than Muzumi at the Wynn, which we had visited the night before.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  7. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven’t been to Vegas since Covid so things may have possibly changed but the table side salad was included with entree. Has this changed? I ask because he made it a point to stress the cost of the items in a negative way but when you consider that the entree includes the table side salad it just doesn’t seem to be unreasonable to me. To each their own of course but this seemed like a disingenuous way to portray the menu and cost.

8. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Westie! Compared to lots of other Curtas reviews, this one was squarely in the middle. I can agree with him that the restaurant is stuck in the past, but I agree with those who go there looking for that type of ambiance and food, that it fills the bill. Wife and I were not really impressed with the salad preparation or presentation or taste, but did really enjoy our entrees. Also, Curtas made a great/accurate comparison between the 4Q and Rudy Giuliani!​

9. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there for the first time a couple weeks ago. I thought the whole experience was excellent. I had the pound and a half of king crab legs, salad bar, and some really tasty garlic mashed potatoes. I did feel a little under dressed, despite them advertising more relaxed standards than they probably had in the past. I was the only one eating solo, but they still gave me great service. Eating there in the future is probably my only option if I'm going to start whittling down my comps at FQ, so I'm sure I'll be back there soon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently so. It's $20 on the menu. It did not specify that it's included with entre' or if it's $20 if you just want some lettuce and such to pick at while you await your food.

At least the place is open and appears to have more or less a full menu.

11. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought one of the selling points was that the restaurant was stuck in the past.

Must have eaten there 1/2 a dozen times, and always been superb.

Food is great, and nothing but good things to say about all the staff I have had dealings with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't understand many of those wannabe-foodies!

Good food and service will never go out of style.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mean, if it's designed to get tongues wagging, objective achieved :D

14. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's $20 if you want it as your entree. This menu, if it's a recent one, says it's included with all entrees.

http://hugoscellar.com/files/menu.pdf

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. And the nominal price of Hugo Cellar entrees may not look cheap (apparently an issue with the reviewer Mr. Curtas) but once you include the table-side salad you choose, the starch and veggies with the entrée, not to mention the nice complimentary after dinner dessert of chocolate dipped strawberries, cream, ect, (and sherbet in a cake cone -- not waffle) it is not a bad value. Compare that to other steak places in Vegas which serve steak ala carte and make you pay for all those sides and salads.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
  16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I enjoy Hugo's Cellar and usually hit it every trip, I have to agree with some of the write-up...well, maybe not as severe as how he put it. I do like that I'm getting a very good solid meal. And I like that it's basically for no cost as 4Qs has such a great comp ratio for their play; it's why I play there. I have always found the salad bar presentation to be so wooden I'd rather just be offered a wedge salad or caesar salad (with real raw egg caesar dressing and the wooden bowl rubbed with a garlic clove prior to tossing) and forget the rest of the carte presentation. The intermezzo would be better in a small dish rather than on those balsa wood cones. The meal is a standardized meat/veg/potato with little/no imagination. But, I like the solid meal, the cozy worn atmosphere, the happy ending (fruit and whipped cream). So, I see his points but I still love the place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think John Curtas is just making fun of the way they type out the prices “sixty-eight dollars” to seem faux fancy. Plenty of his favored places are much more expensive.

I wonder what percentage of the diners there are comped, and how much business that brings into the four queens. I have no real opinion. I suspect that my assessment of the restaurant would be similar to Mr. Curtas’s, but I haven’t been there since 1994 so I will keep my mouth shut.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, do they have a "Ladies Menu" with no prices listed? :) :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe not, but your gentleman can order for you. Saves you from having to decide for yourself.
    jk

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the review was funny, perhaps tongue-in-cheek in places. Anyway, I sent it to my buddy who owns a "comfortable" fined dining establishment to get his take on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.