1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question for the bourbon drinkers out there

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TrewBrew, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found out that I have a connection that will help me get the hard to get (allocated) bourbons, now I need to put together a wish list. FWI I like Buffalo Trace/Eagle Rare, so I would like to get Wellers or EH Taylor. I find the Jefferson's Ocean interesting and have a couple "voyages" and have tried a couple others. I will spend over $50 but $100 is kind of my limit.

What in your opinion should I add to the list?

• Love Love x 1
  2. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, Knob Creek 12 Year is an absolute must. It holds a more subtle, nuanced flavor than the already very good Knob Creek original. The 15 Year, by the way, is only worth it if you like a "punch in the mouth" type bourbon. It's almost like scotch in that way, more smoke/peat flavor. But that 12 Year just goes down smooth and easy. 79 bucks here in DC, your price may vary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The higher end bourbons are too rich for me but my state has a lottery every year to distribute the rarer ones. Here they are for 2020 FWIW. From the lottery FAQ.

Q: What products are included in the bottle lottery and how much do the products cost?

A: The Pappy Van Winkle Collection: Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, $69.99, Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year, $79.99; Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year, $119.99; Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year, $198.98; Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year, $299.99. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: George T. Stagg, $99.99; Sazerac Rye 18, $99.99; Eagle Rare 17, $99.99; William Larue Weller, $99.99; Thomas H. Handy, $99.99.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm currently working my way through a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Moderately priced, but very, very good. Ok, when i say currently working through--I killed it in about three sittings/tastings. Really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 7
  5. TrewBrew

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would love to gett some Van Winkle, I am going to add it to my list. I could threaten to fire his daughter if I don't get some.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hockeylade

Hockeylade High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Col Taylor is one of my favorites.
    Weller was disappointing
    To me Jefferson's Ocean is more a gimmick to me. Their regular Reserve is fine.

Woodinville, which is actually made in WA, is a charmer.
    Blanton's is my steady Eddie
    Noah's Mill might appeal since you like Eagle Rare.
    If you want to dip you toe into the rye world, Whistlepig is delightful

That being said spirits, wines, etc. are a bit like underwear, what someone else likes may not be to your taste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A favorite of mine was Elmer T. Lee. Ten years ago it had a shelf price in the mid forties but disappeared after the namesake passed away in 2013. It re-emerged several years later as an allocated Bourbon. I’ve seen it once or twice in restaurants and bars and would estimate the bottle price to be about one hundred dollars. I would certainly choose a bottle of that over the 10 and 15 year Van Winkles that I have purchased.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know people are going to start thinking I get paid every time I mention Wild Turkey, but some of their harder to get bourbons are spectacular. Master's Keep & Russell's Reserve Single Barrell are both a neat drinker's dream.

• Like Like x 1
  9. oldschoolvegas

oldschoolvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I drink a god bourbon neat I add a drop or two of water . I f on want it on ice I use an ice mold that makes giant ice cube. Melts very slowly so not to dilute to fast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like we have a plethora of whiskey connoisseurs on this board. All good choices as far as I can tell, although I am no authority on whiskey. You may also want to try checking out YouTube. I watch Whiskey Tribe and sometimes Bourbon Junkies. They seem to know what they are talking about and it may give you some more ideas or at least reinforce what others are telling you on the board.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TrewBrew

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I will check those out

12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW, I do like Buffalo Trace also. I have not yet tried Eagle Rare but it is on my radar!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you know anyone from Pennsylvania, there is a lottery that closes at 5 pm today for several types of Van Winkle. Details in Philly Voice

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 23 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $399.99 each – 18 bottles for residents, five bottles for licensees

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 20 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $249.99 each – 54 bottles for residents, 17 bottles for licensees

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 15 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $149.99 each – 134 bottles for residents, 44 bottles for licensees

Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $159.99 each – 134 bottles for residents, 44 bottles for licensees

Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Straight Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $89.99 each – 370 bottles for residents, 123 bottles for licensees

Van Winkle Special Reserve Straight Bourbon 12 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $99.99 each – 741 bottles for residents, 247 bottles for licensees

14. TrewBrew

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @hammie The two people I know just moved back 2 months ago

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they still have an old driver's license, they could probably pick it up. I've enlisted some of my relatives to sign up, I told them they can double their money. :drunk:

16. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eagle Rare is one of my favorites and fairly affordable. Two others I enjoy are Widow Jane(~$70-80 for the 10 year), and Angel's Envy(~$40-50 for normal, and ~$80-90 for their Rye).

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the upstairs & downstairs bourbon bar at the moment. We really like Eagle Rare - it's our current "cocktail" bourbon. I know we just got an extra of that and might have a couple other in the cupboard. I know we have Michter's rye and bourbon but only one is out right now.....
    PXL_20210110_172017579.jpg PXL_20210110_172017579.jpg PXL_20210110_171936763.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @HoyaHeel I don't drink, but I like the blue cat.

• Love Love x 1
  19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's from Portugal. I fell in love

20. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.