1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any one else disappointed with the last Amazing Race??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spoiler alert. I usually love this show even when my favorite team doesn't win. But IMHO they need to limit how many times one team can get U-turned or delayed. Th Blondies -- I think got delayed at least twice and I can't remember if they got u turned too. And the finale seemed very anti-climatic. I hope when it comes back it is back to things like the express pass. I can't understand why the strong teams singled out the weak teams with the u-turns and delays. The whole point is to take out the stronger teams. I really liked the blonde girls. They were always upbeat never bitter, not sore losers. The NFL guys especially D'Angelo was a very sore loser. The destinations and challenges seemed boring. I'd love to see the Cowboys and the Afghanimals back on a super star race again.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigDubbs

BigDubbs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. It also seemed like the same teams kept getting screwed by taxi drivers who'd get lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DerbyCityGal

DerbyCityGal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! I am a huge fan of this show, but was real disgusted with the way it was played this time. What happened to competition? I have no idea why people wanted to gang up on certain teams. I didn't enjoy it much at all! Yes that one NFL guy was a real baby, lol, his partner was cool tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are big fans of the show. We wondered from the outset why this one had sat in the can for so long and wondered if it had something to do with the quality but this Wikipedia link states the delay was due to changes in production i.e. filming two seasons a year pre-COVID. Still, we didn't enjoy it as much as we usually do and now, we've been watching it so long we are too old to consider applying lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was disappointed in D'Angelo, who I always enjoyed watching in his playing days. He totally bombed on the tile making challenge.

Many of the earlier eliminations were caused by team's not reading the clue.

There were far too many "Helping Hands" in completing a task.

I agree that the Blondes deserved better. The Final Three were vindictive and exclusive, but, it was an alliance formed early on and they stayed true to it. Two sides to every story.

I thought a lot of the challenges were not up to the shows standard. For example, the first of two challenges for teams that came in last in a non-elimination round were far too easy.

At least we were spared Rupert.

I will continue to watch next season, whenever that may be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. This is why I record the seasons. I get frustrated at the unfair game play sometimes and the challenges used be fun to watch. Some are, but most are not that great. That is what the fast forward is for. Also often the teams arrive at third of the within minutes of each other but they build up this big tension of who will arrive. Guess that’s tv.

I would love to see a US one too, since global travel may not bounce back as quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've lost at least 30% of my interest in the show since they stopped the eating challenges, so I was really happy to at least see a little bit of one this time ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes and yes again. Eating camel brains was what made this show. Eating beignets in New Orleans doesn't quite make it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In our household, we always remember the ostrich egg omelets :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't thrilled with the alliance, but as these kinds of shows evolve, I guess contestants figure out the advantages such comraderies provide. DeAngelo's reaction indeed was disappointing, but it's easy to see why he got frustrated when the other three teams, that had previously been working with them, cut him and Gary out of the info loop during that flag challenge. That said, the edited broadcast episodes that we saw DID seem to indicate DeAngelo and Gary were happy to receive info and accept help, but not eager to reciprocate. It wasn't shocking the group turned on them at that time.

I agree, the last few episodes, including the finale, were anticlimactic, but I feel the right team won. The boyfriends busted their ass the entire season and were consistent front-runners.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was the first season that I have been disappointed in the season. The whole teaming up of a few teams made the show less enjoyable since it seemed like one of those teams always came in first. I also think the blondes got screwed by the alliance but I liked their attitude about the game which says a lot about them. Hopefully the next season will be better.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  12. rourou

rourou subterranean roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there IS a next season. :( I think it is going to be a while before the show can be produced again, if at all; CBS could decide not to renew it. This season was meh to me because of the alliance, and I was not a fan of the winning team. But my favorite part of this show is always seeing the locations; some of the places are truly beautiful and fascinating, so that kept me interested as it always does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't hate it. I was surprised the alliance lasted as long as it did. The problem is that when you work together and you collectively make a mistake it can put everyone in the alliance at the bottom. It becomes all ot warfare between members of the alliance. They were fortunate the alliance maintained top positions. I think the other teams were just not that strong.

14. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

This is the exact reason I stopped watching " Survivor "
    I used to loved that show.......but......
    the production manipulation was unfair and insulted me, as a viewer.

15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one, because of the locations and cultural features, was amusing for longer than other reality programs have been, but when the plot devolves into a seventh-grade game of shifting loyalties, I shift channels.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I hated them getting three teams through like that.

I actually enjoyed D’s response at the end that he could have paid for the trip. Kind of an F U to how they had this season setup. Without the open competition, it was basically a trip, as they he had very limited chance of winning a competition the way they let them play.

17. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never eaten a beignet. How hard is it to eat three of them? Aren’t they a New Orleans delicacy? It looks like a donut which I could polish off a dozen if a million dollars was on the line and still waddle to the finish line.

And wouldn’t baby cakes be dangerous for kids to eat? Especially if one doesn’t know there’s a baby doll inside? The babies look so small that I’d swallow it in one bite without knowing it was there.

18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. When you eat King Cake, you know there's a small plastic doll in it and you just don't scarf it down. I've eaten plenty (I adore them; they're delicious - and I'm contemplating trying to cook one this year ;-) I mean - the baby isn't THAT small. You'll hit it with your fork if you're eating like a normal person. As for beignets, they're basically donuts, but that powdered sugar will dry your mouth out something fierce. It's not an impossible task but I'm sure that plays into it a lot. And face it - some people CANNOT just eat anything without problems. If years of watching AR food challenges has taught me anything, it's that I'll eat a lot more/more things than most people ;-)

19. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst season yet! Been watching from the start it was just boring with the huge alliance and mediocre challenges. Why a member of the alliance couldn’t see the boyfriends were the team to beat is beyond me. Another season like this and I’m out.
    Of course with tv so bad now there will probably be NOTHING else on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We caught some Amazing Race Asia while traveling a few years ago - I know lots of countries have their own versions - with the upcoming lack of entertainment options, wonder if some streamers will get access and start airing those seasons?? Would be so much fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.