1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ringing in the New Year Weathering the Storm With Smashing Wins and Celebrations the Norm!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Flowers, Dec 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allee

Allee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh no! Wishing you luck! I feel your pain, I had a very similar experience but my flight got cancelled after sitting on the snowy runway for 4 hours. It was only a 3 day trip, and due to being in grad school I wasn’t able to extend the trip.

• Love Love x 1
  2. Blue pacific

Blue pacific Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Wynn should fly out a private jet to you, you’re an asset to their properties.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure they could get a sponsorship of some kind from Aristocrat, given where the flight is coming from...

"All aboard the Flowers Express! We're off to Las Vegas, but where are we coming from...?"

"BUFFALOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JR and I rally may beat you to Vegas tomorrow and our flight doesn't leave Calgary until 10:15 tomorrow morning. Let's hope we don't have a weather delay.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ninety minutes ago I was seething, which is really saying something, as my threshold for dealing with travel craziness is very high.

Delta really let down a lot of passengers tonight. I missed my connection, as did many others, as a result of mismanagement, not the bad weather. Will explain more later but I don't want to get worked up again as I sit in my chair in my room at the Westin Hotel at the Detroit airport....

This was pretty good actually, but was my dinner rather than Allegro.

20201226_232851.jpg

Your post NFC cracked me up. I actually laughed out loud just now so thanks for that and thanks everyone for your good wishes. If getting this bad stuff out of the way is a good omen for the rest of my trip then it is going to be a spectacular one.

I am on an 8:30 am non-stop to Vegas that gets in just before 10 am.

Speaking on the phone or texting with various Wynn employees within the past two hours actually calmed me down as they were great at making adjustments to various things.

My host is off today as it is a milestone birthday for him so I refused to bother him. Instead, I have been keeping Wynn transportation posted all day with my various flight changes and when I got someone a little while ago to tell them that I wouldn't be there this evening after all, it was evident that she had seen notes that painted a picture of a rough travel (or non-travel) day for me. She was so comforting.

After taking my new info I asked if she could connect me with Wynn Tower Suites so that I could let them know I wasn't arriving tonight and she said no need; that she would call them herself after we hung up and that I should get some rest and they would be greeting me in the am.

I then texted with my massage therapist as the spa was closed and my new appointment (my massage had been set some time ago for 9 am tomorrow), has been made.

Even Venetian, where I was to have stayed for a double booking, was pleasant. I had already virtually checked into the Venetian this morning and it was too involved to move the reservation so the front desk kept "as is" and I will just pick up my keys in the am but there will be a note in the file for my host/marketing that I was basically there for just one day, rather than two, so my play doesn't look odd. The front desk offered to do this, which I thought was both interesting and thoughtful.

At the end of the day, I haven't forgotten that I am blessed to even be able to take a vacation right now, which was why I was pretty mellow throughout the day, even as I approached hour twelve of being at the Buffalo airport.

The gate agents were wonderful but what made me so angry was how Delta acted behind the front desk, so to speak, really bungling things and then, when it did, it blamed it on weather, leaving a lot of people high and dry, including a number of folks who understandably didn't want to pay close to $200 to stay in a hotel overnight. I will get my money back -- I want to do so in principle -- but I wasn't going to make myself even more upset by trying to argue with a rep in the baggage claim office (that is where we were all ultimately directed to go as none of the help desk areas had reps in person at those locations), who denied folks on my flight any assistance with hotel or meals as she said the "system" indicated our issues were all weather related.

Okay, enough of this bad mojo talk.

On to getting a few hours of sleep, especially as I was up all night last night packing, and to VEGAS in the morning! :woohoo:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 8
    • Wow! Wow! x 7
  6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did my own version of this at the airport at multiple times during the day. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. eliza

eliza Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh. Not an auspicious start, but hopefully this just means that you got all your bad luck out of the way and it will be all jackpots and awesomeness beginning tomorrow. Rest up and get ready to take Vegas by storm!

• Love Love x 1
  8. news423

news423 No Respect

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the best to you @Flowers and safe travels!

FYI, not sure if it’s open during these times, but there’s a TSA checkpoint in the lobby of that airport Westin. If you’re able to use it, it’s a huge time saver, as you go directly into the terminal.

All things considered, you’re at the right hotel tonight and a non-stop flight away from good times!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks @eliza!

10. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the good wishes and for that tip!!!

11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot most of my toiletries are in my checked luggage. So grateful for these from the front desk!

20201227_014207.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Love Love x 4
  12. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some photos from the day.

20201226_101242.jpg 20201226_101624.jpg 20201226_102025.jpg 20201226_115821.jpg 20201226_150113.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 18
  13. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20201226_101440.jpg 20201226_150113.jpg 20201226_153851.jpg 20201226_170657.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20201226_173615.jpg This flight was ultimately cancelled, even though the pilot and crew were on board, skies had cleared considerably and flights from other airlines were departing.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20201226_173717.jpg 20201226_173815.jpg

Upon landing in Detroit, this is where we were directed to go for help.

20201226_221416.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a happy note, I hope everyone who celebrates it had a wonderful Christmas!!!!

• Love Love x 11
  17. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly... but if the airline partner for BUF > DTW was Korean Air, is it possible that the plane was headed overseas and not to Michigan and that's why it was cancelled? :eek:

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  18. pass line man

pass line man VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hang in there, youll be here tomorrow!

• Love Love x 1
  19. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. That's just their star alliance partner or whatever, as in, what people flying in to the US on Korean Air would take to their final destination. I can book Delta from here to Atlanta, for example, on Aero Mexico or Malaysian Airways, KLM, etc. But that plane just flies back and forth between here and ATL 2 or 3 times every 24 hours. (And because I'm sure you're curious, I've checked a lot of times, and it has NEVER been cheaper to book one of my domestic flights through a foreign airline lol)

Also @Flowers, I'm so sorry we missed you this time around, and about your day, but Iove your outlook. You're headed to Vegas so there's that! Wishing you the best!

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PJ-coffee and a handpay around the next corner :santa:

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.