1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tapatalk Support on VMB to End December 30, 2020

Discussion in 'Admin. Announcements' started by Sonya, Nov 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a notice to give you a heads up that VMB will no longer support the Tapatalk app, effective December 30, 2020. At that time we will be removing the addon from the software and you will be unable to access the board via the Tapatalk App.

It was a great help for us back when cell phones were new and we were still on VBulletin software, but with the newer software package, the board works great through your phone's browser and doesn't have the inherent problems of trying to keep Tapatalk up to date and functioning here.

This has been something I've been thinking and talking about for years, but now seems like the right time to make it official.

If you would like some help with getting set up with your phone's browser, or if you have questions about how to make a link to VMB from your phone's home screen, let me know. I'm happy to try to help.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just bumping this in case Tapatalk users missed this. We will be discontinuing Tapatalk on VMB on December 30th of this year.

Please let me know if you need some help getting set up to use your phone's browser to read the board.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved how easy it was to add a pic to a post with tapatalk. When you’re doing a live tr, it was a snap to make a post showing a pic of what’s going on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't use Tapatalk, but adding a pic to the board from your phone is very easy. Just click "Upload a File" underneath where you type your response and follow the prompt that your phone shows.

Screenshot_20201216-194917_Chrome.jpg

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would just add that the app alert function, at least on the Android version of Tapatalk, was potentially-helpful, but not a huge loss because it often got overwhelming (I think I've got like 50 alerts pending right now). Thank you for the info on the photo thing, that was really the one thing I used the app for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FWIW, I used to use tapatalk for live TRs and pic uploading. I didn't really like it, but preferred it to the old version of the VMB site. But when VMB upgraded the site a few years ago, I found the mobile version far superior to tapatalk. Now, its just like using the site when I sit at a desk or lap top. All my live TRs the past few years have been created using VMB on my phone and I found it very easy to use

I Need Spa
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time to get someone to make a VMB app lol.

• Like Like x 5
  8. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is great news. I've been using Tapatalk out of habit and never really cared for some of the features. I tried the browser version a long time ago and never thought to go back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Disappointing decision

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Disappointed as well. My phone never stayed logged in for very long and Tapatalk made for easy Trip Report updates and quick photo uploads.

But now this explains why Tapatalk went dark overnight :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to give ample warning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You gave plenty of warning. It's just that tap-a-talk was just so easy to post with so it's another learning curve for many. Actually, tap-a-talk would limit how many photos I could post. I remember one of my last trip reports being cut short because tap-a-talk told me I had reached my limit with their app.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We found the solution for that a few years ago. If you had a link setup on your phone or computer as http:// instead of https:// the cookie would reset.

Set this link as your bookmark on your phone and that should keep you logged in if you login from this link the first time. (Unless you phone browser deletes cookies after it's closed.)
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eliminating a convenient access point in a time when reddit is swallowing online communities whole just doesn't seem like a very wise decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tapatalk was never convenient for me. It was glitchy software. There was a use for it when the board ran on VB and there was no other way to view the board on your phone. Once we moved to XenForo it was easy to access the board through your phone's browser.

I kept paying for Tapatalk and dealing with the software issues to give people time to convert. That period lasted years too long, IMO.

Bottom line, on a good day, less than 1% of members here were using it. It was time to move on.

I understand it is possible some people may move on because of this minor change. I think that it is making a bigger deal than necessary, but okay. Please tell Reddit I said hello. :haha:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Posting directly on the forum through the phone’s browser is far easier than using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I managed to post all weekend despite irresponsible amounts of alcohol in my system. it works just fine although I had a lot of double posts. That could have beeen the booze.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you choose "full image" instead of "thumbnail" it will insert the image into the thread wherever your cursor is.

It happens to the best of us. :haha: I do remember trying to do a live post from Chandelier at Cosmo and saying "Why do my thumbs suddenly get so big when I'm drinking?"

19. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious have you seen any volume change in posting, visits with the removal of Taptalk? I haven’t really been here since the removal of Taptalk.

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a slight drop off, but we also usually see a decline in January. As we head into early Spring the data will be clearer.

I was aware we might lose some members over the change, but I was willing to take that chance to save myself the extra expense and technical headache of troubleshooting their app.

Change can be hard, but this was a change that has been a long time coming. The board works great on your phone's browser. I'm happy to help anyone who wants assistance making the switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.