1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nation's Longest Bowl Streak Ends At 27 years.......

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by bull0120, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30531355/virginia-tech-hokies-opt-end-nation-longest-bowl-streak-27-years

Sigh.... What can I say about my poor Virginia Tech Hokies? A lot. A whole, whole, whole lot. I realize Virginia Tech may not be a popular team across the country, but this one hurts. 27 years and they won't even take the option to make it 28. We're done as a program after this.... Cast into the yearly irrelevant with the likes of the UVAs and Dukes of ACC football. Eventually, we will sink so low we will be the next University of Tennessee.

HC Justin Fuente has killed one of the most consistent teams in college football by simply not giving a fuck and a complete lack of awareness of the changes he personally needed to make to himself and/or staff. Now, we've given him another year. I'm through and done with it until he is gone. It's always been a fun time heading up to Blacksburg on Saturdays since I was a kid and it's a great place to watch a game. Unfortunately, I just won't be able to do it anymore and will not be renewing my season tickets.

For fans from other schools, keep an eye on that transfer portal.... I say there will probably be a lot of decent players entering it from Virginia Tech. Give them some actual coaching and they will do you well.

Thanks for letting me unload.

RIP Virginia Tech Football

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know that any string should be made or broken on a year like this. You might have a nat'l champ that won five games!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VegasDawg

VegasDawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn you are having a bad day. Hang in there brother, I don't think you'll be hearing Rocky Top in your head anytime soon.:beer:

• Like Like x 1
  4. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to agree. If we wanted to play a bowl game and didn't get one, maybe I could say something like "Well, we lost three gimme games when the schedule changed to all acc" or blame Covid. This team just quit on the longest active streak though. Did not wish to continue playing even though they certainly would have been given the opportunity to play.

5. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Florida State graduate, I feel your pain brother. Their streak started when I was 7 years old, and ended in my 40s. And the worst part was thinking about how much worse it would get before it got better, and how I probably wont live enough years for them to match that streak again. And also watching bowl games that year with so much less investment emotionally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. REALTANK

REALTANK Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me the streak should continue. College football is a complete mess this year. The playoff committee is a complete joke. Some schools want to play and add as many games as possible ie. BYU) , then some school don't even have the want to play any more and just want to end it. I feel bad for the players who really don't have any say in it and have thier college career shortened.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MCann, both Oregon and FSU have survived or will survive the Willie mistake.

I'm an avid CFB fan, and it is by far my favorite team sport. I have no reason to watch midweek SunBelt or CUSA games, but I always do. This "season" is just a shit-show of idiocy proving without a shadow of a doubt that it is simply about money. The CFP was flawed from the start, and this lust to somehow crown a "national champion" is an added farce.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Legion

Legion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it will be 8 games when all said and done! OH-

9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Columbia grad, I have never had to worry about this problem.

10. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only local Bowl Streak was Northwestern's lack of Bowl appearances or wins between their first bowl game (1948 Rose Bowl) and their next appearance (1995 Rose Bowl) or win (2012 Gator Bowl).

I gave up CFB after the wrist slap given to Penn State over a decade ago. Gave up attending or watching the NFL 20 years today after attending the final game at Three Rivers Stadium (December 16, 2000), stemming from the Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis homicide incidents, among many others. Don't miss either, spend time doing more productive things.

Still played football (flag/semi tackle) until several years ago (early 40s), always had more fun playing. It was hard to follow the NFL given that our family favorite team left Chicago in 1960, was a Steelers and Packers fan as a result. Chicago also had no CFB after the U of Chicago shut down the program before WWII, including my school (U of Illinois at Chicago - some argue Champaign doesn't have a real team either). Cheered for Northwestern, Penn State and Alabama over the years. It's always been a cesspool, hope the players will finally start getting some of the billions in revenue the "adults" siphon off.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.