1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do I want to house sit for the next 5 Years?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by fasbman, Oct 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    treat it like your current lease agreement. the main point, requiring a notice or appointment, so no surprise visit. Giving you time to deep clean. Then go on a vacation or a hotel room while they are there. YOU ARE TALKING UP TO A $100,000 IN SAVINGS, TAX FREE. If you don't need it, give it to charity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have run the numbers (it nets out to about 40K), which is rent savings less higher utilities and auto insurance cost. As I say, I'm in a position where I'm not making this decision based upon money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, sorry. I was basing this on 2000.00 monthly rent X 60 months. Figuring the cost such as utilities, food and car expense pretty much would be the same. Also is there an HOA fee involved? Good luck with decision.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good luck with your decision

• Like Like x 1
  5. birdman925

birdman925 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Ok, here are the latest developments. I went up to my brothers house yesterday to help him with something. We went out to lunch, and I told him my concerns and what questions I had. On the the subject of cleanliness, she asked what my apartment looked like as far as being tidy. He said that it looked like his place when they started dating. Her reply - That bad?"

I thought all us Accountants were neat and tidy?

• Like Like x 1
  6. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, in some ways I'm the archetypical accountant (I still remember a lot of the old FASB statement numbers and topics), but in many ways I'm not. As the joke goes, the difference between an introverted accountant and extroverted one, is that the extroverted accountant looks at your shoes instead of his own, when he talks to you! By that definition, I really warp the curve on the extroverted side!

Similarly, I tend to be on the opposite side of neatness. Think of it like a college student in a dorm room who has had a few decades to accumulate more stuff. In terms of the old TV show, the "Odd Couple", while I'm not quite at the Oscar level, I'm a lot closer to being him than Felix!

• Like Like x 1
  7. trebis

trebis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't do that. Because that would never be my home. I would feel like a guest the whole 5 years. Always the sword of Damocles above my head, that I have to leave after 5 years and to welcome people, that I - maybe - actually do not want to welcome at this moment when they decide to come around. And the relationship to family members is totally different, than the relationship to a landlord. There can be many more pitfalls, subliminal pressure, role behaviour, old patterns in the relationship to each other that cannot be broken. But exploited. False sense of duty. Unfreedom at the end. If you have a bad, uncertain feeling, if you are doubtful: Don't do it.
    It is your life. And not the life of your brother and your sister-in-law.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’re a grown man...they either want you to house sit or they don’t ....you’re cleanliness is irrelevant in the equation. They asked you...

I apologize for being blunt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do it as long as it was saving me money.

I know around my area the rural electrical cooperative has WAY more expensive electrical costs than the city. Plus you are heating or cooling a huge house vs a small apartment (not sure of your climate).

As all mentioned - in writing - at least a few days advance notice of any return etc.

The other key - you are getting a discount for being a long term tenant. How much per month? As in what would it cost you in addl rent when you have to move out to a new apartment. That would eat into the savings you banked once the 5 years is up.

• Like Like x 2
  10. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd reread your original post. The way you wrote it specifically. You aren't bristling with excitement - it's not "oh sweet I get to live in an awesome house for five years!" I think your answer is there, you just wanted some validation for deciding against it. It's important to remember the "they're family" pressure makes people do a lot of things they don't want to do. This isn't hosting Thanksgiving one year or going on a destination wedding for that cousin you don't like, it's five years of your life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SAll11

SAll11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do it but tell them if it’s not working out you would agree to give them a 90 day notice. That give you time to find a place to move and then an alternative to you staying there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update: For those of you who followed this thread, I made a counteroffer to my brother. I offered to split my time between my place and my brothers (close to 50/50). That way, if for any reason it didn't work out, I could be out of there post haste. They have some old furniture they were going to replace, so I told them they could just leave it there and buy the new stuff after they move. He seemed amenable to it, but I suspect that his wife isn't (she likes to get her way). I will let you know how it turns out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    with the exception of helping out family, there doesn’t seem to be any upside, unless they are going to pay for the utilities. You’re still paying rent, and if you’re paying the utilities it will cost you more. It seems your sister in law doesn’t like your compromise, so that should work out in your favor, as it seems like it’s something you don’t want to do anyway. You shouldn’t budge, you made a compromise, and they can’t agree to it, then let them find someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good point. I did tell my brother, that since I was keeping my place, I would want them to pay the utilities (I would pay for whatever cable TV package I wanted up there). He seemed amenable, once I assured him that I could pay for the utilities up front, and he could reimburse me. I guess that I will find out about my sister-in-laws opinion once I see them this weekend.

15. SuperCoop

SuperCoop Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you will be in a good position to hire a cleaning service to tidy up and do some deep cleaning before your Brother and Sister in Law visit. I’d do it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that I mentioned in a previous post, that they would also pay to have a cleaning service come in once a month, so that's mostly taken care of.

17. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so here is how it all turned out. I met with my brother and sister-in-law, and we had a heart to heart discussion. They were not keen on the time splitting idea, but they understood my reasons for not wanting to move into their house full time. It sounds like they are going to try to get a professional property management company to take care of the place. I will go up there on occasion (among other things, they want a couple of small home improvement projects done while they are gone, and they want someone on hand while the work crews are there). Anyway, it sounds like a plan is in place, and a smooth family dynamic has been maintained. That's a win-win in my book!

• Like Like x 10
  18. Mommaof3babes

Mommaof3babes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have moved. For sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear it worked out for all parties. Your SIL sounds like she's a handful and is unaccustomed to hearing the word "NO", so I think you dodged a bullet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, the intangibles of staying put out weighed the financial benefits of moving. One of the intangibles of staying, is that right now I have a support network of good friends that I wouldn't have if I moved. If I got sick (or got badly hurt when I took that fall I mentioned in another post), they would be there to bring me groceries or take me to the doctor if I couldn't drive. To me, that kind of support from friends is priceless.

• Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.