1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Great Offer Adventure 2: The Search for More Money, 10/18-?, CZR/TLC/Boyd/?

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Tarpie, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarpie

Tarpie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 04, Wed 10/21, Work, Move to Cosmo, Free Play Redemption, Hattie B's Dinner

The previous day I had asked for a late check-out so I wouldn't have housekeeping knocking on the door during my noon video call. Turns out Paris still has seven stars privileges and I got a 4:00 check-out time without having to grovel. At Caesars Palace you can only get a late check-out if your host approves it. For many reasons I won't be staying there again anytime soon.

After work I made the long journey from Paris to Cosmo ;)
    IMG_20201021_140012.jpg

It felt odd to be in a vehicle at this intersection that I've walked across countless times. I parked near the Boulevard tower elevators and went to check-in without any luggage...no reason to lug it all the way to check-in and all the way back to the Boulevard Tower.
    IMG_20201021_140947.jpg

I'm 100% down with Cosmo's no smoking while walking policy. At check-in I asked for the lowest floor on the higher elevator bank, that way trips up and down have no stops. For the Boulevard Tower that is floor 39...right below floor 50. I was "upgraded to a terrace suite" even though that is what I had booked and then they tried to upsell me a fountain view. Jokes on them, I wanted a south view so I could sit out and watch the goings on at the airport.
    IMG_20201021_143227.jpg

The room had the same layout as the one I had during my August stay. Wifi works well at Cosmo and does not require you to re-authenticate every 24 hours, which is nice. The desk chair is reasonably comfortable. My only complaint is that the "desk" (behind the couch) is too shallow. You can see my luggage setup: a large rollaboard with a rolling cooler attached to it and my laptop bag attached to the cooler. Easy peasy to roll up to the room other than not being able to take turns easily.
    IMG_20201021_143327.jpg IMG_20201021_143336.jpg IMG_20201021_143404.jpg IMG_20201021_143414.jpg IMG_20201021_143440.jpg IMG_20201021_143502.jpg IMG_20201021_143525.jpg

I had stopped by the promotion redemption desk at the Champagne Ballroom at Paris on my way out to see if there were any double secret bonus offers this time. Sadly there were not. I did not want to redeem at Paris so I did not have them issue the free play.

After getting the room setup at Cosmo I walked over to PH to redeem my free play. PH does not have the new Caesars Rewards kiosks yet so I asked at the rewards desk where their promotions center was located. I'm still not sure what the miscommunication was, but after typing and disappearing to talk to a manager, she came back and said since I had checked out of Paris I was SOL. I don't think this how it works...I did stay at Paris on the offer. Unfortunately it was already 3:00 and the offer had to be redeemed by 4:00 so I didn't have time to argue.

I briskly walked over to Paris and the kiosk still listed the offer. Still not wanting to redeem at Paris, I walked over to Bally's. The offer came right up on the kiosk. I tried to redeem it twice just to see what would happen. :)
    IMG_20201021_150618.jpg

My original plan was to run the free play through at 25 cent 9/5 JoB at PH. Heck, I was even entertaining the thought of playing 1,600 hands single-handed to smooth out the variance...I really needed a good redemption to make up for the huge losses. I ended up at Bally's because they have some 10-play 25 cent 9/5 Job machines but unfortunately they were occupied (they are almost always occupied). So I said screw CZR, I'm going to redeem on the best game in the house, $5 9/6 JoB.

I put my card in the machine and sure enough $2,000 FSP was sitting there. Somehow I remembered that you press 7 to redeem free play on the antiquated system...I think there used to be signs on the machines in AC. It appeared I was going to have to load $25 before each hand...80 times in all!
    IMG_20201021_150801.jpg IMG_20201021_150855.jpg

But after pressing all of the numbers (1 = calls a slot attendant, 2 = calls for cocktails, 3 = calls a host) eventually 9 loaded all of the free play.
    IMG_20201021_150940.jpg IMG_20201021_151256.jpg IMG_20201021_151541.jpg

It took 80 hands to play through the $2,000 free play. Luckily I hit a 4OAK along the way and turned $2,000 free play into $2,800 cash money. Counting only the qualifying play, I finished down $200 on the promotion. Not awful since I did not hit a royal at any level in 45,000 hands played.

Feeling pretty good I wandered back over to Cosmo for dinner at Hattie B's. I used to really like this place but every meal seems to be worse than the last. This time I tried bone-in chicken...the breading is so thick and tough that I broke a plastic fork on it. I also had a tender that was extremely over-cooked. The fries were good and the pimento mac and cheese is always amazing (as long as it's warm). I'm sure I'll end up back here because when it's good, it's really good, but I wish they were more consistent.
    IMG_20201021_155703.jpg

After dinner I decided to play at the Chandelier Bar for the first time ever. I'll play $1 7/5 BP all day for "free" drinks. 15 minutes in and I had my very first drink ticket and four to a royal. Would this be an amazing day?
    IMG_20201021_170037.jpg

IMG_20201021_170043.jpg

Nope, and I even threw away $30 to chase the royal. But I was rich in drink tickets! So it was time for my first verbena. I followed the bartender's instruction and had a new taste sensation. The numbing/tingly effect was neat, and the drink was tasty. I will try it again in the future.
    IMG_20201021_172824.jpg IMG_20201021_173358.jpg

Tickets seem to pop out every 15 minutes or so while playing $1 7/5 BP. That's plenty fast for cheaper drinks. But verbenas and top-shelf gin for martinis had me waiting for a ticket on occasion. No complaints about the system...most of my annoyance were other people at the bar crying "I lost $40 and still don't have a drink ticket!" :cry:

The machine was teasing me. Look at this:
    IMG_20201021_174544.jpg

Held 0 cards and missed a royal by one card!

Quads were in short supply so I ended up down $700 in 2 hours of VP. But the service was good and drinks were tasty. And I was staying on my first Cosmo comp and would like future Cosmo comps so needed to give them some play.

Up overall on the day, down on the trip.

Status: Down $1,600 cash on vp. No quarter royals. No dollar royals.
    Up next: Work, Cosmo Room Cleanliness, Pok Pok Wing Dinner, Chandelier Bar

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 5
  2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Cosmo High limit room, immediately upon entering, on your right is a $1 9/6 JoB machine.
    The Bad: It is spin poker. Same game as regular poker with a random 52 card deck but I don't like the way it looks with the cards spinning like a slot machine. Still, it's 99.54.
    The Bad: It's hundred play. You have to remember to play just one line and ignore the others.
    The Good: It's $1 9/6 JoB at Cosmo
    The Good: Hosts are standing by all the time and if you want a drink you just ask them to call a cocktail waitress. They're with you in a moment and top shelf is no problem. HUGE drinks, no worry for drink tix.
    The Good: Snacks offered a few steps away. Usually kettle chips, really good chewy cookies, fruit.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Texas Steph

Texas Steph A Work in Progress...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying your TR (and enjoyed the previous one as well)!

You posted that you got the Terrace Suite that you booked, but from your pics it looks like a 1 Bedroom... but I've been wrong before. Either way, they're all great rooms!

Best of luck on finding those Royals!!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tarpie

Tarpie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I put $100k coin-in through those machines in August to earn the comped room I stayed in this trip (and earn gold to get rid of resort fees). They did bring top-shelf liquor while I was playing in there and service was fast. The snacks are disappointing...it's mostly little bags of pretzel in the age of COVID.
    With the Chandelier Bar open this trip I wanted to give it a try. I'll sacrifice some EV for an on-call bartender and a different ambiance.
    You're right. Looking at https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/resort/rooms-suites I see I got my terminology mixed up. It was a Terrace One Bedroom. The booking e-mail says I booked a Terrace Studio, so I really was upgraded...so that was undeserved snark for the hotel clerk in my report.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if it's literally correct. They are about the same, I even heard that the studio often priced higher. Don't quote me on it though, Chuck is an expert, I am not.

6. Tarpie

Tarpie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 05, Thu 10/22, Work, Cosmo Room Cleanliness, Pok Pok Wing Dinner, Chandelier Bar

Upon waking up I noticed that the base of the nightstand lamp was filthy. And then I noticed there was some kind of oily substance on the nightstand. And then I started noticing that the room was one of the dirtiest I have ever stayed in. It looks like nothing was cleaned. There was some weird substance on the showerhead and curtains, water spots on the little can of toiletries, crud on the vanity mirror, a potato chip sitting on the living room table, and if you looked up the light fixture was visible dirty. WTF Cosmo? :mad: Oh, and the underside of the toilet seat had not been cleaned...gross! :vomit:

IMG_20201022_061656.jpg IMG_20201022_061705.jpg IMG_20201022_065339.jpg IMG_20201023_125037.jpg IMG_20201022_061551.jpg IMG_20201022_061531.jpg IMG_20201022_072348.jpg IMG_20201023_115122.jpg

The first thing I do upon entering a new hotel room is pull back the sheets to make sure the bed looks clean, and the room did pass that test. After having already spent a night and unpacked before noticing the lack of cleaning I just sucked it up, but even a fleabag motel does a better job cleaning. Since the room was comped I didn't bother complaining. I'm sure I will be back to Cosmo (have free gold nights to use), but the room is getting a thorough inspection before I move my luggage in.

Dinner this night was at Pok Pok Wing, my first visit. I ordered the wing special that comes with wings, papaya salad, and sticky rice. I also got the roasted red peanuts just to try them out. The wings were sweet and savory, but I really don't like eating with my hands (generally and especially in the COVID era). The wings were super-sticky. It's not Pok Pok's fault that wings are pretty much impossible to eat with utensils, but I doubt I will go back anytime soon. The papaya salad and rice were good. The peanuts tasted good, but it was a pain to deal with all the whole, dried chilis. So my complaints aren't about flavor, just more my personal peculiarities.
    IMG_20201022_161258.jpg IMG_20201022_161328.jpg

After dinner it was back to the Chandelier to have a copious number of drinks and try to get my money back. Realizing I was at a fancy bar I started ordering drinks and requesting giant ice cubes. And I even got some quads.
    IMG_20201022_173136.jpg IMG_20201022_173815.jpg IMG_20201022_175241.jpg

No giant ice cube in the martini. Will today end the royal drought?
    IMG_20201022_175826.jpg IMG_20201022_180234.jpg
    IMG_20201022_180241.jpg

Not yet. But straight flushes and Old Fashioneds help :)
    IMG_20201022_181118.jpg IMG_20201022_182339.jpg IMG_20201022_183226.jpg

Another dealt 4-to-a-royal...where were these when I was playing 38 handed? Is the drought over?
    IMG_20201022_183354.jpg
    IMG_20201022_183401.jpg

Nope. But quads (especially aces) are nice.
    IMG_20201022_185409.jpg IMG_20201022_190505.jpg

And then disaster struck! Some darn rodents knocked out the power. It just glitched at Cosmo (unlike at Paris), but when that happens it knocks out your session tier credit display. My OCD brain did not like that at all.
    IMG_20201022_190553.jpg IMG_20201022_190624.jpg

But a couple of quad queens assuaged my anger.
    IMG_20201022_192440.jpg IMG_20201022_193725.jpg

Overall I played for three hours and finished up a grand. I needed that.

When I stood up to leave I realized that I had been over-served. The floor was a bit wobbly. Not pictured here were at least one beer and a negroni...maybe other drinks too. I gave away my remaining drink tickets to other people at the bar and headed up my filthy hotel room.

Status: Down $600 cash on vp. No quarter royals. No dollar royals.
    Up next: Work, Wicked Spoon Brunch, Cosmo Backend Comps, Planet Hollywood Suite, "NEW GEAR NEW YOU" Promotion, Harrah's Oyster Bar Dinner, Frozen Bailey's

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 2
  7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. That's the dirtiest hotel room I've ever seen. Maybe you should show those pics to the housekeeping manager?
    Too bad you weren't playing DDB. Since I'm usually playing JoB I get to say that to myself all the time. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told by my host at Cosmo that if ANYTHING was ever wrong with the room their management wants to know (and pics make it even better.). You’ll most likely get a communication asking for more details. I’d do it, especially with how the rooms are supposed cleaned during the pandemic.

Great start! I’m on the edge of my seat for the Royal... Like I told another VMBer, they just seem prettier at Cosmo!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Concur with above. Let Cosmo mgt. know. We all deserve better in this environment.
    Thanks for sharing so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The room condition is unacceptable comp or not. I can understand it was a light layer of dust, but this is worse. Thanks for not taking a picture of the toilet. As others have said, I’m sure management would like to be informed. Seems like some housekeepers aren’t doing the job they are paid to do. There’s bad apples in every field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Royal will come tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :eek: Then I guess I should let them know about the vomit stain on the outside of the Fountain view balcony we had.

@Tarpie did they tell you you could only get well liquor for a ticket, or is that only reserved for dime and quarter players?
    :eek:aw, jeez, all I wanted was a Makers Manhattan, it was also two tickets for Veuve.. :mad:
    We also saw a short power outage Monday night that took out the escalators for a while.
    Still kind of love the rooms, but it's one small step towards Garbage. (JMHO/YMMV)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always seem to miss the pics of the turkey wraps :feedme:

and a 76mph average you had to be hitting 90+ for at least a little bit I find it hard to hit that average on some of my highway trips and I am hammer down :woot::cowboy:

14. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and an aside from your prior TR

that accident was trailer sway caused by too little weight on the trailer hitch

the air from the semi might have been a minor factor, but you have to figure that was not the first semi to pass them on that road

you can also see that the made the mistake of hitting the brakes when the trailer started to sway instead of just letting off the gas or if they had a trailer brake manually operating it without hitting the vehicle brakes to slow the trailer only...sometimes you can even hit the gas and drive out of it before letting back off the gas and pulling over to adjust the trailer weight on the hitch

once they hit the brakes in the vehicle that caused the trailer to come forward on the hitch and because the trailer was pulling up on the hitch from not being properly weighted it actually picked up the rear end of the vehicle and from there with no weight on the rear wheels, the brakes still applied on the front of the vehicle, and the sway well "it is coming around" just like that video showed

they probably had loaded the trailer different to start the day than past days and had even more weight than normal in the rear like all the coolers in the back instead of the front or the coolers loaded down with ice and drinks instead of empty.....just a few hundred pounds can make a difference especially in that small tow vehicle

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I, too, enjoy watching the airport activity, esp at night. Usually request mountain view rooms at Paris for this reason.
    Go get 'em today!

16. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. Tarpie

Tarpie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for the lack of updates. This past week a buddy was in town and I was putting in the play to earn 40,000 TCs. Meals, a show, work, and lots of video poker sucked up all of my time.

And on Friday I had a machine malfunction that took ten hours over two days of my time to get resolved. Good for keeping this report interesting, bad for my mental health.

I plan to get a new day out this evening.

• Like Like x 9
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay good... I know I’m not the only one who was waiting for an update!

19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree regarding the room. So basically the seal on the door was total BS. Whether it is a 1 or 2 star hotel or a 5 star one, there's no excuse for basic cleaning not having been done. Geez.

Other than that huge issue, loving the day you had and I'm impressed with the drink service you received at the Chandelier Bar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dwild

dwild Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gaming machine or something work related?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.