1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do I want to house sit for the next 5 Years?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by fasbman, Oct 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother and sister-in-law live about 75 miles away. Her company is going thru a restructuring (he is retired) and she has to move about 500 miles to keep her job. They like the house they have now, and want to move back to it when she retires in about 5 years.

They have asked me to move out of my apartment and house sit for them until she retires and then I would move back out and find my own place. I would live there rent free, and just pick up the cost of the utilities (they would hire a yard service for the lawn work). They would occasionally come back for Holidays and to visit her family. I would save money by house sitting, but honestly that is not a huge consideration.

My biggest concern is that I would be giving up my independence. Even though I would be the sole resident for about 95% of the time, it still wouldn't be my place. Also, my sister in law is a very fussy housekeeper, while I will never earn the housekeeper of the year award (for example, I think that the back of the couch makes a perfectly good coat rack)! I'm afraid that when she did come back for a visit, she would blow her stack!

I want to be a good supportive brother, but I can see where this arrangement could put stress on both their and and my brothers and I's relationships.

I know that the decision is mine, but I am interested in others viewpoints.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're helping out family.

You're saving what would seem to be a wad of money.

You're probably picking up square-footage and related aesthetic advantages and it sounds like you're getting a yard.

If your independence is defined by not being able to tidy up a bit when they are due, then keep the apartment.

And on a slightly more serious note, for whatever reason -- whether you do this or you don't -- whichever decision stands a legitimate chance to muck up what is most important, these relationships, then make the other choice.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't do it. They can rent the house out if they really want. You obviously don't feel comfortable doing it so why put yourself in that situation? and 5 years, that's a long time to be someones place holder. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Rage,rage against the dying of the light

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just by your post I would say no.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d do it. I’d set up a stash for my rental saving cash. I’d look into a “maid service” and set up a weekly / bi-weekly appointment WITH the option of a 48 hour call for non-scheduled service (when they are returning outside your scheduled service).
    5 years is 60 months. Do the math. Take out for the maid costs.
    I’d do it IF: I liked the neighborhood/neighbors and wanted to make a large purchase/investment in 5 years.
    I would also keep it as much on a “business” (impersonal) level as possible so 6+ years down the road you don’t have to listen to.....”who let you stay rent-free for 5 years....huh? huh? (You owe us blah blah).
    But I’d do it. Apartment vs home?......good luck.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't do it. A house is a big responsibility, and there is a lot more to it than paying the utility bills. A few weeks, maybe. Five years, nope. What if you want, or need to move two years from now? Then what?

Plus things break, and someone has to take care of that stuff. Roofs leak, water heaters crap out, appliances break, etc. Even if they pay for it, it is likely you will be the person handling the logistics (getting estimates, hiring contractors, etc.). But you will be doing that with their money. And if they don't like the results, you might be labeled as part of the problem.

No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm guessing that you're the best alternative for them in that they do not have to contend with renters and the associated property managment. You, on the other hand, could save a lot of money (five years of your rent payments...how much is that?).

Now, we do have to factor in whether or not you're 'Uncle Buck 2.0'. And since 'housekeeping' got prominent mention in the OP, and the 5% joint occupancy seems to be an issue, you might want to steer clear of this. Me? Five years rent free? Yeah, I'd do it. Cindy & I lived rent free for six years when we moved back from Morocco. Phenomenal savings opportunity. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you think they view you as someone who always likes to do his own thing?

If yes, tell your brother that you’re not into it or leaning towards no because you like having your own place to do as you please & 5 years is a long time to be living in someone else’s place. If your sister in law is picky, he would probably understand. She married your brother not you. Rent free is a good deal but they can’t really expect you to jump on this offer if you’ve been an independent, single guy for quite awhile.

Don’t guilt yourself into doing anything for 5 years. It’s possible your brother already thought you’d say no but he told your sister in law that he would ask. IMO if they viewed you as a mooch, they’d be more worried about getting rid of you in 5 years versus trying to entice you with free rent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huge savings opportunity, ability to get a maid to help out with the 5% time (& do any of us really know what that means besides the OP? Doubt it).

I'd fuckin do it. The savings alone is fantastic. If the neighborhood is good enough for you and they trust you enough to be there 5yrs, rent free (get all of it in writing as well as who's responsible for typical maintenance on the house), I'd think about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Normally I would say this is a no brainer and move, I would hire a cleaning service a few times a month and bank the savings. Put the Limoges China, Waterford Crystal, and Lladro in the attic, get slipcovers for the sofa and maybe some carpet runners for the high traffic area. You don't mention how this could affect your work commute or other social obligations.

You need to pull your brother aside and have a Come to Jesus Meeting, after all he called you.

Sometimes you just need to say what the f.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. MARK

MARK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 years rent/mortgage payment free? IMO what little negative you have mentioned far out ways the fact you could save for five years and have a healthy down payment on something that would be truly yours. I am sure many/most would jump at your situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think about how much more often you could go to Vegas and gamble saving that type of dough.... At a minimum, you could go every time they planned to come in hahaha.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  13. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course you would do it, what's rent in LA? $4000 a month? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell your sister you'll get a maid service to come in every other week. Tell her that this will be your home, her house but your home, for the next 5 years. Let her know that you won't be made to feel like you're walking on egg shells the whole time. You'll live in there as you would in any home you actually owned. If she's willing to see things through your eyes after that, then do it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  15. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My rent for 750-sq ft one bedroom apartment is about half that. I kick myself every day for the money I'd be saving elsewhere. :haha:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do it I'd write down expectations from both sides as far as who will deal with contractors if repairs are needed, pets allowed, what if you decide you want to move to LV after a year, etc.?
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, family or not, get EVERYTHING in writing!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But would you have that same salary elsewhere?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do it - then rent it out on Airbnb for weekend parties. :wink2:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saving money, AND helping family, that is a win win!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.