1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last couple times we went to Vegas we flew from Hamilton so went through customs in Vegas, and that's what I was remembering. Since there's no longer any flights from Hamilton to Vegas we'd need to fly from Toronto, so yes customs would be in Toronto before we boarded. Which would work out better with the short layover time in the u.s. airport.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are my fellow Canadians experiencing any issues with Customs questioning non essential travel? I went to Vegas at the end of June and all was well. Just curious on others experiences as I head off again to fly out of YYC tomorrow.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A fellow VMBer asked about my return to Canada so I thought I would post this for everyone's viewing pleasure. I have attempted to keep adjectives and opinions to a minimum and provide only the facts.

In this order, upon return, at the YYC airport:

-New paper form filled out, outlining where you had been and for how long before you go to Canada Customs
    -Usual Canada Customs form checked over by an agent. New paperwork about Covid given and questions about isolation plan.
    -Previously mentioned Customs form given to anther officer as you exit restricted access zone into airport. Normal procedure as this would be where a secondary check may or may not be done.
    -Walked out to be given temp check and more paper.
    -Interview with Alberta Health Services staff. Isolation plan questioned again.
    -Another form where you take a pic on your phone that takes you to an App that you have to fill out and submit online. I feel the government has no business in my phone via an app and I had already filled out and provided two paper forms. I am mad at myself for not filling out a paper form vs downloading an app and refusing to allow access to my phone for my own privacy reasons but we were being swooshed through a line and I didn't think about it until after the fact.

I have literally had a phone call from Alberta Health Services, Government of Alberta, and Fed Government since I have been home.
    At every level, from the time I started filling out the first form, until yesterday, parties have asked me about my isolation/quarantine plan.

I am fully expecting a check in or two by the RCMP as they have been contracted by the Feds to do door knocks and while they were a bit lax on those since March, they have stepped this up. I know this to be factual as my source is 100% reliable. Fines for not quarantining are $10000. On my last isolation in July the only follow up was three form emails from the Feds.

Hopefully this assists with your Vegas Trip making decisions.

Gaggles

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  4. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this arriving back in Canada info Gaggles. Toronto is a shit show at the best of times, and with this procedure it'll be even worse, sounds absolutely terrible.
    I've been checking into vegas flights for Oct/Nov thru westjet and air canada from Toronto over the past couple weeks, and now that they include 'complimentary' covid coverage prices have gone up at least $300 from 2 weeks ago. All the flights down need to change planes at least twice, with long layovers, coming back it offers direct flights but we know those will be cancelled.
    How were your flights going there and especially coming back? Were the original flights cancelled and rebooked to awful flight times? But most of all, was your recent trip worth it, considering the changes in vegas and the hassles through Calgary airport?
    Seems like overkill for 3 levels of government checking up on you for the 2 week quarantine, but could just be a make work project with a bunch of new hires included in new job stats, wouldn't be the first time!

5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cause the flag still stands for Maple
    And they can't take that away.....

6. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    - Was it worth it? Yes.
    - Is it overkill? I might respectfully suggest I shall leave that one unanswered so as not to cause a kerfuffle.
    - Were my flights cancelled? Not on this trip but they were shuffled in on my last trip at the end of June. My seats kept getting changed on my flights last week but I got moved to business class for free on my last Dallas-Calgary flight so no biggie.
    - I had two connectors going down in June. Only one coming back for last week. It is simply silly that they do not offer direct flights back from Vegas when the final destination is never in doubt.
    - No drink or beverage service but they give you a baggie with a water, a sani-wipe, and a little pack of cookies. So bring a snack on board!

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the details, I'll be sure to bring my own food and spiked drinks before boarding the plane. Nice for you getting moved up to business class. Let us know how often they check up on you during your quarantine, and how many times the RCMP comes knocking on your door!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked our trip couple days ago, as soon as they announced the extended closure until at least Nov 21 was the last straw since it's getting very cold out and we need an escape from here. Figured better make it worth our while since we'll have the 2 week quarantine coming back, so booked Oct 27 to Nov 13. First 4 nights comped at Fremont, then 2 weeks in 2 separate condos. Booked AA, yyz 6:21 am, Charlotte layover leaves at 11:35 am, arrive in vegas 1:23 pm. Leave vegas 10:04 am, layover in Charlotte leaves 8:11 pm, arrive in yyz 10:12 pm. These flights allow approx. 3 hours in Charlotte which is perfect time for having a meal in the airport. If booking thru AA, change to cdn dollars before booking, we got return flights for 381.29 cdn each which is excellent, was able to select our seats when booking at no extra fee. Will need to pay for bags when checking in which are $30 cdn each. AA doesn't provide free covid coverage but we're covered under our retirement benefits should something happen.
    I checked flights for days, Westjet had nothing, and Air Canada was awful, since all flights that leave Toronto to Vegas go first to either Vancouver or Calgary, then down to San Francisco, then on to Vegas, with very long layover times, many overnight in San Francisco.
    So if anyone is thinking of booking from yyz definitely check out AA flights. 2 days before I booked, the same flights were around $200 more each, the day before the same flights were around $100 more each, I booked when I got the condos confirmed so it worked out great.
    I'll be sure to not download the covid app on my phone on returning, they can call us or email us for our interrogations, thanks for the info @Gaggles.
    Hope this info can help future Canadian travellers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have fun! I have been casually looking at a few destinations including Vegas around xmas into the new year. This is the only time of year, I can really stay at home for two weeks. Four days away translates to two and half weeks away from office - not sure if worth it. If I don't take now, there will be nothing this year to warmer climes. My partner in crime has been home since March but is expected back to office after New Years so she will also have only one opportunity.

day by day.....stat by stat.....

10. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have some good news. At least it’s a start!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That quick testing on coming home sounds great, with results in 2 days. You'll have a lot more Alberta residents that will now travel I'm sure. I checked it out and for now it's a 26 week pilot project only for Albertans, so in Ontario we'll still have to quarantine. But a 26 week pilot project is a long time, so this 2 week quarantine for other provinces will be here for a very long time, unless they start to offer this quick testing too.

12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm moving to Alberta! I here housing prices are decent too!

13. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve really got the itch this week.

I’ve looked twice. Looked for travel insurance. Then quarantine rules set me straight...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was very disappointed to be able to say, no RCMP came knocking. But I know for a fact they are doing door knocks. I have a few RCMP connections and those $10000 fines are a real thing.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they are. Friend came back from Europe. They didn’t call or knock. They sat around the corner from his house. Two days.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  16. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must have been relieved no RCMP was banging on your door, did they check up on you often through the app, or call you @Gaggles?
    @pressitagain they actually parked for 2 days? That's nuts, but I guess it shows the difference between Alberta and Ontario, Ontario needs cash desperately.
    I'll stock up on the few groceries I need before I leave, put the milk, bread in the freezer, we have a chest freezer pretty packed so we'll survive on that. Only reason I would need to leave would be to drive to the mailbox every few days half a block away, going to my car which is in the garage, get the mail, and back to the garage, I wonder if I'd get fined for that?

17. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. He had his brother deliver some necessities. It was the brother that saw them on his way in. Two separate occasions and not consecutively.

Tbh. I don’t know what the technicalities are on leaving the property. I think @Gaggles would know that one.

18. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would have been the most expensive ticket you had ever received if the RCMP caught you off your property...$10000. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought you had a typo when I read this. Is the $10k correct? Most of what you hear in the news it $1000. I know the Act says the fines can be up to some huge number ($250k or something), but when Americans are found over the border, taking a vacation and not quarantining and getting $1000 fines, it seems like they have set the precedent.

20. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fines are $10000 to something stupid like $750000 if they were to prove you were the cause of an outbreak. Good luck with the Burden of Proof beyond a reasonable doubt on that one. The $750 000 is obviously a scare tactic. But, $10000 is the basement. My good friend has two family members who are RCMP. They are being compelled to work OT shifts at times to do door knocks. My friends fiance wrote 3 tickets out of 10 door knocks for BC RCMP on her first shift of door knocks.

I have no idea why they didn't knock on my door as I confirmed with some of my police associates that door knocks in Alberta were happening. I guess I have an honest face?? Or maybe I looked so hung over after my last trip to Vegas that after they observed me, they must have figured I would need two weeks at home to recover?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.