1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

PGA Tour coming to Shadow Creek

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the rough was bad for us amateurs. About 4" + of rye overseed. Very wet in the morning, thick, and juicy. It isn't bad for the Pro's who are used to this type of rough and have way more swing speed. Really couldn't see your ball in the rough unless you were standing right over it. Yes, first Pro-Am experience. It was OK, but a great experience. Hideki didn't say much, neither gave any tips. Pretty quiet unless you initiated the conversation. Harman seemed like a good guy. Course was way tougher than normal. greens running at 13, added an internediate cut to the fairways to pinch in some already narrow fairways. Greens were in perfect shape. Seems surreal to see the course on TV and know every nook and cranny. The Pro's were having trouble reading the greens on wednesday since they were not familiar with the course. Lots of very subtle breaks. Saw quite a few misreads. I was gonna say something a couple of times, but figured they are the Pro's. I actually played pretty well considering the tough course. Us 3 amateurs played a Shamble, where we pick our best drive, and then play our own ball on the way in. We could only use the Pro's ball on the Par 3's. The other 2 guys in my group were a 7 and a 9 HC. We used my drive more often than not. Birdied 4 using my drive and making about a 25' putt. Made par on quite a few other holes with my drive, and then my ball all the way in. Par's were a good score with the length we were playing and all the pinched fairways and rough. Only lost 1 ball and that was due to not going to look for it as I pulled my drive on to the other side of the creek on 15, and the drive we were going to use was on the whole other side of the fairway, so I didn't bother with it. Walking this course is an endeavor when the course was really not designed for walking. Walking the course is not an option during regular play. It surely helped with not having a caddy that previous experience helped with course management and knowing the greens. Didn't really blow up on any holes. Great day of golf overall. I have probably played the course close to 500 rounds. On one of the more recent tourneys that we played there, one of the guys in my group asked how many times a year I played out at Shadow. I thought about it for a second, and said "maybe 40-50 rounds a year". My caddy immediately said " I'll take the over on that one", lol. The Pro's inside the clubhouse also said one time that except for the guys who work for MGM or live locally, that I am out there more than any other player. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing? :confused: I have been playing there consistently for the past 10 years, with 2-3 rounds a year from 1995-2010.
    When anyone asks what is my home course, I always say Shadow Creek, even though it is not a country club, and you can't post scores there. Love it out there. Everyone who is a golfer should try it at least one time!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, four-inch rye doesn't really phase these guys. Just based on the tube it seemed that the greens were more receptive yesterday than they were on Wednesday. Maybe a little secret sauce applied overnight?

You could certainly give those guys a lesson on those greens ... or at least in reading them. lol Always the great leveler when it comes to new courses for these guys.

I don't know that pros give a lot of tips, at least not unsolicited. Not that they won't, but it's not really the purpose. They're trying to get some course knowledge, the wise ones know they might have a new off-course opportunity with one of their am partners. And most are just good guys and they know sponsors and fans pay the freight and they do want it to be a fun experience. That's one of the reasons I really like playing with the LPGAers, because they really get it.

I've had some good times at Shadow, and some really good times with you and shifter. I get asked all the time, "Should I play Shadow." My typical response is something along the lines of maybe. There is no doubting how perfectly manicured it always is. And not-of-this-place or not, it's a great routing. I guess it comes down to what someone might not play if the expense -- and renewed effort now of getting in there -- is truly a bucket expenditure.

Not exactly a bad place for your "home" course, amigo!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    V, do you think these guys have discovered the Rhondarita?

4. Stillsober

Stillsober Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great read, thanks for posting the experience of playing there. I have kicked around the idea of playing Shadow, and seeing the course with the pros on it like this is fun.

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure a few of them have, although us amateurs were not allowed in the clubhouse to verify

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just googled...can anyone confirm ?
    D79CE524-EF39-4E02-B60E-6CA7DE9E7021.jpeg If true, wow. That’s some coin.

7. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard it is up to $750 as of a couple months ago

8. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    at least that's what they bill back a comp round at

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no way to compare Pebble and Shadow. Plus it's unnecessary.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that’s cheap for a bucket list...

11. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this on TV today? I am not finding it

Annual me and Pete
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The broadcast to this point has started at 2p PDT.

13. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see it at 4 cdt on golf channel

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok cool thanks!

Annual me and Pete
  15. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Golf Channel execs are trying their best to get "in" with Shadow. They re-aired every round a million times over the five days of tournament play (counting Wednesday's charity thing) and now today are replaying not only the final round, but round 3 as well! I've never seen them re-air a third round before. Let's see if they edit out the one commentator who said he wished it was grassed with bermuda toward the end of yesterday's coverage.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know that Shadow needs to or even would fall for hollow stunts. GC's just trying to keep golf relevant at a time when it disappears even as a "new" season begins. At least they have Augusta to talk about ad nauseam!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bermuda in the winter, lol. They just got done overseeding the Bermuda with winter rye so the course can stay healthy and green during the coming colder months in the desert

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All courses should be kikuyu and poa, really make these pampered princes sweat!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.