1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sticky does WOOPS aka WSOP

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by StickyFingers007, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. One thing I wanted to talk about:

I don't think that you played this badly, but I'm not sure I agree with your flop and turn bet amounts.

Assuming the lady to your left is not a blind, the pot has 575 when you bet post flop, making another bet of 250 pretty small and giving good pot odds for a draw. It won't kick out any open-ended draws, and won't give you enough information against something like 2 pair or trips.

If someone has a good big draw, you'd rather just take the 575 now. If someone has a bigger hand, you want to get off of it now or at least have a chance to make that read. The only hand she'd pay you off with with a bet like that is a worse pair or worse kicker made, and that hand might pay off a bigger bet, too.

Of course, you are limited partly by the size of your stack. From the sound of things, though, you had 250+350+600 + a little more left (over 1200). This makes it tough to make a big enough bet and still be able to get away from the hand if raised and you think you are beat.

I think my bet would have been pretty large in that situation depending on how I read my opponent, either slightly more than the pot (600 ish) or all-in.

None of this is to say your opponent outplayed you. She chased an inside straight to the river, and that was pretty loose. But remember that she also had 2 overcards, so if she had you on top pair, she had up to 10 outs. (in reality she only had 7 as you had the ace covered)

PS. Take this with a grain of salt. I have no illusions about being a great poker player. But I like to think that bet sizing is one of my strengths relative to most.

2. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR; and, Sticky, there's no shame in your game. You got to live the dream and though it ended early you still go to live it. How many people can say that? I bow to you:nworthy::nworthy::nworthy::nworthy: I do hope you do this again.

3. Chetou812

Chetou812 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report, I was wondering how it went for you at the tables. Better luck next time...and yes there will be a next time!

T-rev

4. JoeVegas

JoeVegas Low-Roller

Even though the cards didn't fall your way I'm glad you had a great time. Thanks for a great read and for letting us to live vicariously through you!!!

5. peanutmnm

peanutmnm Scotchy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally awesome!

6. SnertAlert

SnertAlert Toast Smuggler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simply outstanding report Sticky. Thanks for letting me tag along for a couple days. It was like having my own personal tour guide to WSOP.

Daniel Negreanu called, he wants his watch back. :)

7. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I strongly disagree with this. Sticky is very likely ahead when she bets 250, plus keeps enough behind to make another turn bet that is unprofitable to call. The board is moderately straight coordinated, but for an OESD to call the 250 correctly they have to know that Sticky will pay off. They whiff again, and Sticky again bets enough to push out all reasonable draws.

In point of fact, the villain had absolutely no business in this pot at all with AK. The A is obviously suspect. Is Sticky so stupid that she's not play AQ or AT, she could easily be on KJ which makes the A trouble card for villain.

Sometimes you lose when you do everything right in poker. Sticky probably could have taken down the pot if she played big on the flop like you say, but she would have risked a huge raise/call from a set that beats her or she could have taken down 575. She had a lot of equity in a 1875 pot instead. If she gets a good river, she's in a lot better position to go deep in the tourney.

Nice job, Sticky!

8. BigStogie

BigStogie Tourist

You heard it here first...Sticky to take the tourney at MM next year...the girl just has mad poker skillz :thumbsup:

9. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not if her pocket Kings run into my Queen-Deuce offsuit again... :kill:

Mikey

10. SilverStreak

SilverStreak Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sticky: Thanks for the translation!

I loved to play poker, but I'm afraid if I walked into a Vegas poker room, I might as well have a hook hanging out of my mouth!:confused2:

Maybe sometime...

Thanks again!

-SilverStreak

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The small bet is arguably in as much or more danger from a set or two pair than the pot size bet. With Sticky leading, a big hand is likely to flat call and let her keep leading out, and it will look exactly like a draw to her. If they flat call the larger bet, it at least tells you something (then you just have to decide if its a loose call with a worse pair, or a big hand).

And again, I'm not saying her opponent played right. I'm just saying when you price a bet to build the pot and get calls with only one pair, then you have to expect to get caught from behind more often than you'd like.

12. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sticky, you rock girl!! I'm proud of you, even if it was "Sticky out" way too early!

13. StickyFingers007

StickyFingers007 Namer of T2V Gatherings

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you everyone.. In respect to the now famous AQ hand with top pair top kicker on the flop.. I don't recall what I put her on when she flat called the flop bet. With a Q 10 out there, I certainly thought I had the best hand. The turn? Ya.. maybe I should have pushed, but after the call, I figured if she has me, she has me. Let's see the river. By this time, it still looked good, but was it good enough? guess not. I saw the jack, but didn't see the straight. Nerves I guess and the way she starred me down, paused a bit then bet 500 which looked like a " I'll buy it " bet, I called with that inside voice saying.. " She's probably got you beat, but dammit.. Maybe not".. It's one of those hands you'll always replay knowing what it cost you but thats how it goes.. You win some, you lose some.. This time it was a lot lol..

It didn't crush my love of the game only made it stronger so watch out! I'm gonna tear it up... someday lol

14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you. Overall I loved the report and it sounded like you played great. I just wanted to make that point that top pair, top kicker is often a great hand post flop and not so good on the river, so that's where I would want the decision point (for both players) to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.