1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't been here for awhile... but still missing Vegas tremendously. With that being said I am hoping to take a trip at some point this Fall. I was hoping to be there for Circa’s grand opening, or at some point shortly thereafter.

My question is for my fellow Canadians.... have you made your way out to a Vegas recently? If so, what flights were you able to find? I’m looking to travel out of Toronto. Would like to hear about you booking and travel experience.

I know right now we have to isolate for 14 days upon return, which is fine for me. But I am having a hard time finding flights.

Appreciate the tips :beer:

2. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m about to gas my West Jet flight from YYZ in early November. So my seats and that of my 2 friends will be available. Toronto is a fabulous departure point normally for Vegas! Two airlines, with multiple DIRECT daily flights, plus several others.

NO Vegas for moi until deep into 2021. And if Covid hadn’t spread badly enough in America; this latest trouble on the Strip (see Labour Day thread) is the final nail in the coffin!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew in late June. Calgary-Vancouver-Seattle-Vegas. There were no direct flights.

They are still flying and letting us in the country, just no via land crossings and you have to be quarantined for 14 days coming home. You can go to the US if you are willing to pay the quarantine price coming home.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westjet still advertises their Non Stop to Vegas from YYZ but be prepared for a bait and switch during these COVID times. For my canceled August trip the non stop flight I had booked from Toronto to Vegas morphed into two stops....Toronto-Calgary-Los Angeles-Vegas.....not only that, the dates were completely changed by Westjet by several days so what you book may not end up being what you get.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is similar to what happened with our flights we had booked in mid-August with WestJet. They got changed to a very long milk route which we ultimately cancelled.

When you look for flights there are many available but I don't think any are actually going to take-off without being changed. I was hoping someone had a better experience or idea than to book a direct flight and have it changed.

The only idea I have is to book 2 separate flights, 1 from Toronto to a hub in the States such as New York or Chicago (as it seems there are daily flights to those locations) then to book a flight from there to Vegas and do the same on the way back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just noticed on the WestJet site that bookings for Toronto to Vegas only start on November 4. Can't even book a flight prior to that.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our long ago late March canceled trip to the motherland we were supposed to fly Swoop direct from Hamilton. We have a voucher that I must use by the same time in 2021. Currently there are no Swoop flights out of Hamilton to Vegas. I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a time/connection friendly flight right now. Recently Westjet had announced free Covid insurance on selected destinations which didn't include the US initially. They have now backtracked and included the US. Air Canada is doing something similar. All the best if you do find an option.

8. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Swoop will be flying out of Pearson as part of “it’s recovery plan”. They have a few limited Vegas flights from Pearson to Vegas starting In December. I don’t believe service from Hamilton will resume any time soon.

9. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info @breanna61, I hadn't read that. Completely makes sense not to fly out of the hammer right now. I cannot imagine much if any demand.

10. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is some dedication to make it to vegas

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I canceled

12. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Someone posted about a pricey Toronto-Detroit-Vegas flight on Delta.

I need all the luck I can get!
  13. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thought is best to book a flight yyz to major us hub if really keen on going. Book separate flight to las from there

Consider booking United american or delta out of yyz to atl, ny, ord or dwa then transfer????

obviously more hassle and $ but if that itch really won’t go away.....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  14. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of now that's the plan. Hopefully things change in the next bit to open up more options, but not looking good for that.

15. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know if the YWG LAS flights have been going?

Westjet has a sunday thursday round trip direct, great if its going and I dont trust westjet to tell me the truth or honest odds of it happening.

16. BJ1986

BJ1986 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are traveling from Eastern Canada, you can go to Philly (AA) or Chicago (United), then Vegas.

About 1 hour stopover and 7-8 hours in total.

These are the only reliable options. I did it!

17. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!

18. jeanf

jeanf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you go through customs at the first u.s. stop (philly or chicago), or when you got into vegas?

19. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Highly doubt the non-stop from Winnipeg will go without going through Calgary and onto LA or Phoenix and then to Vegas. Perhaps now that insurance is being offered, more Canadians will travel to Vegas and that could bring back the regular non stop flights. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ttaylor001

ttaylor001 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I fly to Vegas from Fredericton, you clear customs in Canada...not the US. I would be surprised if you could travel into a secondary city in the US for customs. It seems to me that it is either in Canada or the first stop in the US. My experience at least in Montreal and Toronto is you clear in Canada, which makes it so much better when you land, you can immediately go to a cab or collect baggage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.