1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Comp questions

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Timothy, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Still relatively new to all things comp related. Reading a lot here, and learning a lot also. Still have a few questions.

After my first trip in October last year, I was due to go back this month. Unfortunately, we all know what happened next… :D

Original trip was 3 nights Planet Hollywood (comp, Diamond so no RF), 3 nights Wynn (comp through app), 3 nights Luxor or Vdara (comp or strongly discounted). I’d play CET while at PHo, Mlife while at Luxor AND would use the NGO-stay (as @DaiLun says) at Wynn for seeding purposes (1 strong day of play at Wynn, 1 at Venetian and 1 at Cosmo) to hopefully unlock some teasers.

I’m currently puzzling to get an April-trip together, not sure if it will happen (borders have to be open), but it still gives me something to look forward to.

The Wynn app has changed in a way that you can no longer book a free room. Now, I don’t have any problem with forking them €200 to book the room for two nights, and then rebooking on the last day for 1 night extra, BUT I’m only going to do that when I’m sure that the border is open and we can come, as I don’t want to spend the money then not be able to go. I also have to have back-up plan for when the nights would be blacked out, or for when we cannot book through the app for whatever reason.

Keeping these things in mind, here are the questions I currently have.

- If I would have to stay 9 nights, and want to use my comps, I’d have to do 3-3-3 – meaning 3 nights Mlife, 3 nights CET, 3 nights Mlife or the other way round (CET – Mlife – CET). What would be the best strategy? I’ve read that Mlife looks to your trip total, so 6 nights of gaming would be better than 3. CET on the other hand looks at the daily number, so 6 days of xyz will be rated the same as 3 days of xyz (xyz being the same coin-in).

- On the offers with CET, they improve drastically when I add my wife as a companion (she’s a matched Diamond), up to the point I get mid-properties comped at weekends and CP/Cromwell during weekdays. Does it have any downside using my wife as a companion (I mean when booking the room, as I’m well aware of the benefits of having her as a companion with me and the consequences of NOT having her with me on the trip :D)? She obviously will travel with me, and I’m aware she has to be there during check-in. What will that do to future offers? I have to state that we do NOT care what her offers look like. We always use my card and never hers.

- If my wife would book a paying room with CET (being Diamond, she gets nice discount offers + no resort fees, so that’s handy), and NOT include me as a companion (and keeping in mind we don’t care about HER offers), and I don’t use my card for nothing on these days, are we off the hook for gaming then so I could use that stay to seed other properties those days? Ex: I’m looking at three days midweek at Paris, Bally’s or Harrah’s: all go for around $45/night including taxes. Then we could also do (for example) CET – Mlife – CET paid by my wife.

I know a lot of these things might be far-fetched, but there’s some great knowledge on this board. Thanks to everybody who gives me any insight!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2020
    It’s about time I’m back!
    Leg 2 of 4 - show me the new Rio!
  2. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As to the companion question - I believe it would only be an issue if you concentrate your play on one person's card. If you both typically play on your own cards and that's where the offers are generated, then there would be no impact. However if she is on the room and does no play on her card because she is only playing on yours it becomes a bigger issue for her future offers. One option would be to do your 3 night offer at Caesars and play both of you on your card and then do a 3 night offer for her at Caesars and play only on her card. This sets up 3 days of play for each of you during your offers. Also it avoids the whole not more than 5 comp nights issue.

As to Mlife looking at your trip total, it really makes no difference. A trip theo of say 6,000 is still equal to an ADT of 1,000 over 6 nights. They still consider how many nights the trip is. It's not like they will say that you earn this number every trip, they will say last trip you earned x in so many days.

To your last question, absolutely yes if you don't care about offers. If she books anything with a discount, even including the no resort fee with diamond, the expectation is that she will play. As such, her offers will be negatively impacted. However, if this does not matter to you and you are not added to the room, you could "not be there" and play at other properties for seeding purposes. Also if you do play some where you are staying, just play on her card instead of yours.

I'm not sure if 3-3-3 is simply because of how your offers are structured, but if not, I would probably do 3 nights comped CET with you, 3 nights Mlife and then 3 nights CET for your wife with the discount for seeding purposes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those are kind of complicated scenarios.

I don't know much about using a companion at CET.

I'll just throw out a couple of questions/thoughts that maybe someone else who's run into them may be able to answer.

As far as using the wife's account to book a paid stay at CET with "no gambling obligation" so you can seed elsewhere:
    • You don't care about her offers, so you don't care about no-playing on her account
    • The open questions I'd have are:
      • Can she even book a non-comped stay while she's logged in?
      • If not, you'd have to book it without being logged in. She'd give up TCs and RCs, probably not much though.
      • If her single TR account # gets associated with the paid (or comped) reservation, they know she's there, and even though you don't care about her offers, it may also damage her value when you use her as a companion, even if she's paying for the room. But if her # ISN'T associated, it would mean she'd have to pay the resort fee for those nights.
      • I think I might just go ahead and take comped nights under her single account if she can get them, the value of that might be greater than the damage she'll take on offers or as a companion
    For Mlife:
    • I don't know what the maximum duration of a "trip" is, but they have to have some cutoff
    • If you spend nights 1 to 3 and nights 6 to 9 at MLife:
    • Is it two trips of 3 days? In this case, you might be better off playing more heavily on the 2nd stay, on the theory that it will weigh more heavily in your offers going forward.
    • Is it one trip where all 6 nights are counted? In this case, it doesn't matter how you spread the play.
    • Is the maximum for a "trip" 7 calendar nights, in which case they count the first 4 nights as one trip and the last 2 as another
    • Or do any trips that begin within 7 calendar days count as one trip, in which case all 6 nights would be one trip.

Now I have a headache.

If I was looking at that situation and no CET companion was involved:
    • I'd book CET - MLife - CET
    • I'd low-play and seed elsewhere during the first CET stay but try to reserve enough to overplay a little on the 2nd CET stay, with the theory/hope being that the 2nd one will outweigh the 1st one as far as offers

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm wondering about your current ADT with CET as you seem to not have great offers....you said adding your wife gets comped weekend offers.
    I am currently Gold and have a lowish budget, but routinely have Paris/Bally's comped midweek and some weekends. I do focus my play where I stay tho.
    There are many on the board with more expertise on this, but you seem to spread your play to many different places. And that is certainly your choice!
    Good luck with your plans!

5. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ADT is next to nothing. Signed up, matched to diamond in advance (Wyndham route), didn’t stay there but played about $500 coin-in in two sessions.

It’s definitely a teaser.

My wife has 0 ADT, 0 coin-in. We did not use her card.
    That’s why I think it’s strange adding her ups my possibilities by a lot.

6. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That kind of confirms to me you may be overthinking the "angle" on this..
    Not that you don't have the time for it if this is for an April trip.

But at some point (for me at least), trying to play up to/track/plan comps is futile.

Have fun,
    "play where you stay,
    let the chips fall where they may".

JMHO.. I try to super break down comp approaches too,
    but once I hit Vegas, I'll take a win and bail with no regrets,
    I'll take cash in hand over any future comp.. always.

You prob should burn that 0 theo match comp though if it expires soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not going to add anything to the CET/MLife dilemma, as I think it's been covered already, and I don't want a headache ;)

I just want to suggest saving some of your seeds for another visit. I have run into the problem of seeding too many properties, and not being able to take advantage of the resulting offers before they disappear. So maybe focus on seeding only one or 2 properties you are really interested in.

Enjoy the planning. I think I miss that almost as much as the actual trips!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Timothy Seeing your reply about having an ADT of 0 for your wife and an extremely low ADT for you as well, I would probably reconsider the advice I gave earlier. Is your ADT/Coin-in low because your gambling budget is low, or because you just haven't played there. Even to generate some decent teasers at the places you're talking about, I would think you would want to do 1500-2500 coin in minimum. I suppose if you are a brand new sign up and not staying on property an hour of heavier slot play might do it without that number, but I'm not sure.

I also agree with the thought of only seeding one or two properties. Mostly because if you aren't going to have the budget to keep the comps rolling, saving some teaser offers for each trip may be helpful.

Again, if the initial play was an anomaly and your budget is stronger, I would stand by my original advice, but it was made on the premise that you would likely look to do 2500 coin in per day minimum at the properties you are taking comps from.

Also, as an aside, on the NGO trip that you are booking through the app, if you have a red card number tied to that room and they know you are booked for 3 nights, whatever you play on your seeding day with likely be divided by 3 for your ADT. An NGO trip, simply means you don't have to play off the comp, it doesn't mean they aren't going to consider your play if you do, unless maybe Wynn does something different. I believe one of the reasons this works differently for Dailun is because he has a host through his slot app who coordinates things for him.

9. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a diamond, by playing outside of LV, and when I go to LV once every 2 years, when I add my wife who is a 100 TC gold, my comp room choices at Caesar's usually goes up at least one level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, that’s some great thinking. I don’t really need all of the teasers at once...

Might take the bankroll for the 3 days and divide it by 2 properties, each a bit more to potentially generate a better teaser.

11. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Multiple people on the Facebook-page I follow (Wynn slots), confirmed that even when staying on a comp through the app, you can unlock a teaser if you are new to the red card program (or haven’t played on your account). A session of a few hours, as low as $2000 coin-in, seems to generate something.
    Or so I’m led to believe by other people who have posted their results.

I just was at Caesars for a small time, and concentrated my slot-play at Mlife (over 9 days), so I’ve got decent (not superb) offers there now.

My budget would also be up by a lot this time, compared to last time.

Thanks for all the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.