1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hang in there, Louisianans!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mescalita, Aug 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like a rough couple weather days ahead. Hope Marco and Laura don’t smack you too hard...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope it just passes bayou! :wave:

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would guess flooding is more concern than winds and storm surge. Good luck in both. Better stock up on beer and ice too.

4. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TBH, my favorite place. They’ve had enough bullshit, hoping it passes them by.

Attached Files:

5. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update from USA TODAY article:

Tropical Storm Marco grew to hurricane strength Sunday, one of two powerful storms marching toward the Gulf Coast and threatening a historic double slam of landfalls within miles of each other.

Hurricane Marco is likely to make landfall in Louisiana late Monday. Tropical Storm Laura is expected to reach hurricane status before it roars into the state Wednesday. National Weather Service Meteorologist Benjamin Schott said such a confluence of storms hasn't happened in the Gulf of Mexico in recorded history.

Isolated areas could see 15 inches of rain from the two storms, he said.

"We have a very unique situation with two storms that unfortunately are headed to Louisiana," Gov. John Bel Edwards said Sunday. "They pose a challenge we have quite frankly not seen before."

Edwards said the "one-two punch" of hurricanes will blanket the state's coastline with storm surge as high as 10 feet in some areas and prompt flash flooding in others. He said residents should be ready to shelter in place for at least 72 hours, warning that it may not be possible to deploy rescue helicopters and high-water vehicles after Marco's storm surge if Laura comes in right behind.
    - - - -

Praying for everyone’s safety

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  6. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bury me in NEW ORLEANS! (Sorry now I’m just sunk in my love for NOLA)

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shit. Prayers for Louisiana, damn.

8. seaoftranquilitycruiser

seaoftranquilitycruiser Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, they don't bury people in New Orleans due to water table issues. They entomb you above ground so you don't float. Morbid but true.

Prayers for those in Louisiana. Looks like a rocky week coming your way. Covid and hurricanes shouldn't co-exist -- it is just too much at once.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah...I know, actually, but it’s a song I was listening to and a common refrain for NOLA love.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hurricanes are a way of life down in the bayou. I don’t have much confidence in the NO Water and Sewer Board to have the pumps fully functional. It’s always something with those guys.

I’m in Houston though. But looks like our reckoning will come a couple days later with soon to the Hurricane Laura.

• Love Love x 1
  11. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Up in DFW here, Houston, too, has had enough. We are still cleaning up after Harvey (paying for it, anyway.). I pray you guys don’t see it. Ugh. My heart is hurting already for my people closer to the coast. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kittenhead

kittenhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ain’t nothing better...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr. Alpert, it's been mentioned many times, but you ARE the King of witty humor!!:nworthy: OP posted at 11:53 and you responded at 11:55! I'm a fan!;)

On a more serious note, take care VMB friends who happen to be in the path of these Hurricanes. Be safe, and take care of each other.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Electro!
    My delivery here on the Board will be much slower now that I'm back to school. :faint:

All my best to the folks in and around the paths of the storms!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 5
  15. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it looks like a good news/bad news sort of thing. Marco weakened considerably during the night so that is good but now they are predicting Laura to strengthen up to a CAT 2 which is bad.
    Here on the MS Gulf Coast, we have been alternating an hour or so where it looks like it is about to pour down rain with an hour or so where the the sun pops out for a while.

16. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least now your friends will post sarcastic memes about things shutting down that didn’t need to. A friends wife was sort of complaining that day care shut down and it was sun shining outside. Had to bite my lip and not be a smart ass.

Meanwhile here in SE TX we are sweating it out. Laura isn’t quite off of Cuba yet but the models are trending to a near LA TX border landfall. Of course it’s all subject to change. Really at 24 hours out can you really be confident in the track.

17. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like NO will be spared and western LA and SE Texas hit. Maybecat3 when it makes landfall. Miss comes out well from what I can see.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now cat 4 and storm surge of 30 feet!!! That is wild and much higher than any of the hurricanes I have been through. I-10 may have 9 feet of water over it and that highway is at least 10 miles inland Time to get out of the storms path.

19. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My aunt got the heck out of like Charles last night and headed in land to my parents. Here in Houston we should be spared for the most part too. Wind is picking up. Still projecting to turn and go up the border.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We grew up in Corpus Christi in the 50’s-60’s. Scared the hell outta me as you just watched as they guessed which way it would go. And the BAD ones always came in the dark.....couldn’t see it, just the noises of wind and rain and debris. Good luck to all and move when / if you can.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.