1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Life Lesson(s) Learned(ing)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all need to find our ways in this. More need to accept the reality of this (thanks @ronc).

• Like Like x 1
  2. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is the Department of Redundancy Redundancy Department

Can't lose your sense of humor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As we look back in retrospect ...

4. Craps all day

Craps all day Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    charmin.jpg = Gold6.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sprocket

Sprocket Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Enjoy your family
    2. Don't waste time trying to save people that don't want to be saved. I don't mean that religiously!
    3. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it would seem wise when you need car isn't running, listen to your mechanic, when your faucet is leaking , listen to your plumber, when there is a pandemic going on, LISTEN TO THE DOCTORS!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My life lessons learned since this Covid pandemic struck but applies to life in general:

1) No matter how busy, no matter how stressed, no matter how tired, do not put off that phone call, or note, or message - stay in touch with loved ones - family, friends, neighbors - be there to help or just listen.

2) No one knows all the answers to covid - so I follow health guidelines (even when they change), stay informed (thanks @Sonya), and try to use common sense. Everyone is at risk, no one is immune, do what is needed to protect each other.

3) Ensure your will/estate plans, medical directives, burial, etc. are up to date and someone knows where that information is located, so if something were to happen, your kids/heirs aren’t left with that additional burden at a time when they are grieving.

4) Life changes in an instant.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  7. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My life was to complicated pre Co-Vid. I learned to enjoy the simple things again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always felt like learning is important and doesn't stop when you graduate from school. My paternal grandfather was not formally educated, but he always had a book open when he was at home. He was constantly learning about history, the world, other places, other people. A man who worked in the oil fields his whole life and rarely left the state. What's my excuse with all the privilege I have in my life? It's part of the reason VMB is here. I went to Vegas and realized how dumb I was about Vegas and I have spent the last 25 years trying to learn everything I could about the place I love.

The pandemic hasn't changed that at all. Right now I'm constantly reading news and studies and information about the virus in general and the pandemic management as a whole. It has not done much for my opinion about leadership or the general public. Even here, where I think we are a clever group of people. I have been sent some absolutely shockingly dumb information for my daily news dump. I mean... shockingly stupid. I truly fear for some of you if you believe a random stranger on Facebook over the medical experts.

Personally I am still learning quite a few things.

1 - Personal boundaries are important. That's not just in my interactions with people, but also my spare time. I can't just work 24/7 and not expect to start to fray at the edges. I need "me time", even if that means I'm doing it on the sofa in my living room, instead of somewhere 'out there'.

2 - Friends matter. I've never had a large circle of friends. I struggle with social anxiety and making true friends has always been difficult, but maintaining those friendships ca often be even harder. I'm bad at returning non-work text messages and emails. And I don't text people I care about to tell them I'm thinking about them, even though I am, because I don't want to bother them. If I had a time machine right now, I'd go back about 3 weeks and text my friend ardee daily to see how she is doing. Hell, I might even use the phone to make one of those old-timey phone call things, just to laugh with her one more time. :(

3 - Never take the small things for granted. My life is pretty boring, for the most part. I don't live very large. But the ability to just pick up and go to a hotel for a few nights has never been something I took more than a few minutes to decide. Now, trying to book something has this whole cascading list of things I normally take for granted. Even going shopping or picking up take out is more difficult now and requires more planning.

4 - I kind of have to agree with some of you that talked about the total lack of any consideration from my fellow humans when I do try to get out and about to be deeply disappointing. I tried to avoid a heatwave on Sunday by going to the beach. The behavior of people I saw was horrendous. Are these people out there all the time and I just haven't noticed, or is there something about a pandemic that makes everyone behave like they were raised in a cave? Dan kept telling me I didn't need to apologize to the rangers at the state parks for the messes left by other people. I am pretty sure SOMEONE should be apologizing to them. :mad: The condition of the bathrooms, picnic tables, and garbage cans was atrocious. My sister went up near Kings Canyon, CA to do some camping and reported back similar people were there too, so I know it's not just WA.

5 - And related to the one above, I'm trying to learn to have patience with other people. Yes, they are disgusting jerks, but they are still people and I should try to find some compassion and empathy for whatever it is that they are going through too.

Yeah, that last one is going to take a LOT more work.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 4
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always good to reflect. Always good to strive to try new things and keep your mind open.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because many of us have been caught in the rat race of life, we are often too willing to let others make the decisions for us, without giving much rational thought as to the implications of those decisions. This is something that can be pervasive in all aspects of life, from letting a spouse handle all the financial decisions for the household, to letting a coworker do all the work when there should be more division of labor, to not being a part of events where our participation matters. If we want to improve our lives and the lives of those around us, we need to take more agency of our choices so as to not unduly burden those we care about and the society we live in. We also need to have honest and potentially uncomfortable, but civil conversations about the state of affairs and how to improve. Division, and our inability to get things done as a whole, will only increase as long as we continue to polarize ourselves and not see things from other viewpoints in good faith.

11. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We can’t allow civilization to be misled by the ‘assholes’ ....as @Joe put it.

We have them....

12. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see things in a different light. There is a great sadness in my heart from seeing the elderly sick, injured, scared and isolated.

If you have an elderly family member. Teach them how to face time, zoom etc. If a smart phone or IPad is available and affordable try to teach them while their mind is sharp. Give them the skills now even if you live in the same house or next door. There are absolutely no visitors in Nursing homes and hospitals - at least in Texas. They are lonely and scared. It is breaking my heart.

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's going to suck not being able to go see the Titans play this year. That's really the only big difference in our lives since the coronavirus struck. We're boring people and don't have enough going on to be affected by it.

14. Feedyourhead

Feedyourhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The importance of loving and being comfortable with yourself, because one day (now for a lot of people) you might not have the people or places to distract you anymore. Be someone you want to be stuck with basically. Also, doesn’t hurt to be with someone you wouldn’t mind being stuck with lol.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's harder than I thought to grow a man bun.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw this posted at work:

The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

All I can say is Amen. I realize I don’t pray enough.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've learned to never underestimate the value of a walk around your neighborhood. You can see so much and it gives you a chance to meet your neighbours.

I've made a point of saying good morning to everyone I've passed while walking the dog. I've probably talked to more people in my neighbourhood in the past 6 months than I have in the past 6 years. "Good morning" is all it takes to start a conversation and we all need that these days.

Last week, I stopped to talk to a fellow who, when Covid hit in the spring, planted a veggie garden in his front yard where the sun was best. We've run into each other 3 or 4 times over the growing season. That day we had a socially distanced 10 minute conversation and I left with 2 cobs of fresh corn and the feeling I'd just had a visit with an old friend.

Another day I ran into a neighbour at the duck pond where I pointed out a crane that was resting on a log. That turned into a long conversation on the difference between a crane and a heron.

Before Covid, walking the dog was just a chore that needed to be done. Now, I wake up and look forward to strolling the neighbourhood and I wonder who I will run into today and what treasures I might find. Some days I concentrate on checking out mail boxes. Other days I look at front doors. Sounds crazy I know. My daily walk has taken on new meaning these days. It's helped me keep my sanity.

I'm off now to walk the dog and will post this when I return. I'll look for goodness while I'm out.

117955975_404853903826304_7079993894037289099_n.jpg

117768393_300717864323180_3133348006207124018_n.jpg

118168737_3201170639966944_4363743055199047206_n.jpg

117706217_634677370811763_2782118247934218301_n.jpg

IMG_4418.JPG

118120750_714419689106473_7751912026066303487_n.jpg

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.