1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

March Madness 2021

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by marksind, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who knows? Will it happen? If so, will it happen as scheduled? Will it be safe to travel/be in Las Vegas if it does? Regardless, we've booked a week at the Grandview across from South Point for the first two rounds of the tournament next March.
    We've stayed at the Grandview five times, twice for the tournament opening rounds. Pretty much our new norm. South Point does a great free tournament viewing event, and we love having a nice condo for a week rather than a hotel room.
    It's a great deal through today. If you are an RCI member, you can book a unit through May of next year for a week for $159. Hitch is it's nonrefundable. But for that price I'll chance it. Even if the tournament doesn't happen then, we'll go as long as travel/Vegas are safe. Really need something to look forward to these days. Here's hoping!

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as its refundable, no harm in planning now. My guess right now is that it doesn't happen, but I hope I am wrong

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had tickets for the Final Four thru the NCAA lottery that was to be held in Atlanta this April but you know how that went.

Around May, they sent all ticket holders refunds plus a promise to be first in line to buy tickets for the Final Four in Indianapolis 2021. That purchase offer came around this week. I considered buying tickets again especially because it felt nice to win the lottery last year (to buy tickets at face value) that I thought I shouldn’t pass up on this. But who knows if I can even enter the country by next April even if there is a tournament. If they canceled again, I also figured they’d put me in the front of the line again for 2022 in New Orleans but alas, I don’t have much faith in things so I opted not to buy tix. Hope you still get to enjoy the tournament.

4. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for it , that lottery is hard to get , I was fortunate and sent 10 entries a year and was able to get it for some great Final 4 weekends . Great weekend of basketball so go for it , I honestly think it will happen by then.

5. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely thought about it. I went to the Minneapolis Final Four in 2019. Bought tix thru Stubhub so a little bit more pricey but not Super Bowl outrageous. One of the best weekends I ever had with all the ancillary events going on around the games. By Monday night before the championship game, I was exhausted. That made me try for the lottery in 2020 which I was amazed I got. Atlanta was going to be more of an all around sightseeing vacation though, not just basket ball. Don’t know if Indianapolis would be like that.

The other deciding factor was I could get hotels easy with my preferred chain close to the action but things have changed. This time in Indy, I thought I had a reservation next to the stadium but I got a call a few weeks ago saying they couldn’t honor it since the NCAA had booked their entire property. Thought about a non downtown hotel location but that means rental car or taxis but that still means missing out on a lot of the atmosphere downtown brings during the weekend. Anyways, with everything going on, figured I’m ok to pass.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like a decent first “bet” of the trip. Who knows what the sports world will look like. Even if there’s no NCAA tournament on those dates, there could be spring college football, regular season of college hoops pushed back, etc. Hopefully it’ll be safe & you’ll have a reason to go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw Bobby Knight beat Syracuse, Then Danny Manning and Larry Brown beat Oklahoma , then Michigan with Glen Rice cut down the nets in Seattle ,was able to get a room were the coaches were staying met a whole bunch , and Friday night Detroit Pistons were in town and met and had a beer with Chuck Daly, and Monday after the Final , Pat Riley showed up with Showtime to plat the Sonics next night, Following year saw UNLV beat Arkansas in Denver, The last one I went to in Indianapolis Saw that great UNLV team lose to Duke in the semis ,when they were undefeated , met the Shark at their hotel he was down in the dumps after losing to Duke , and have not been back. Great times.:peace:

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Bobby give a drunken spiel one night at the Nike Clinic at Bally's back in the 90's or early 2000's—even got a bit racist toward one of the players who was doing a demonstration. I also knew Neil Reed. He married my daughter's best friend. Google Neil Reed/Bobby Knight. Absolutely not a fan of Bobby. I know he is some sort of icon, but, in real life, he was reprehensible.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great coach in his hey days , but as he got old ,he became a jerk..But in his days he was the General.:thumbsup: That undefeated team was one of the greatest in college history.

10. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I commend the optimism of those of you booking an event that far in advance.

I'm not even sure there will be baseball in two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree. Yet I feel that Scott May's son, Sean, played for a better and more humane coach at North Carolina.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
  12. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was always a jerk, even when the team was really good. The winning just allowed people to look the other way.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.