1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What have you been reading?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    D121F208-FE57-424C-A47D-5DD0C2BF7B4A.jpeg If not my favorite author, top three

2. petevegas

petevegas Stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough '81... biography of Teddy Roosevelt focusing on his early years

3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alex Trebek's memoir is out. The Answer is...Reflections on My Life.

• Like Like x 2
  4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Currently reading Deadly Anniversaries which is a compilation of works by 20 renown mystery authors published on the 75th anniversary of the Mystery Writers of America.

5. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently finished reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig. It was dark and dystopian, but a good read. The story reminded me of parts of The Dark Tower and The Stand by Stephen King (two of my favorite books).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read about 100 books a year. But it is mostly Fantasy with the occasional sci-fi in there.
    Just finished "The Traitor Son Cycle" by Mile Cameron.
    Going to start the "Powder Mage" series tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, are you a Patrick Rothfuss fan, by chance. I loved the first two Kingkiller Chronicle books but there seems to be a huge lag with the release of the third book even though I think it's already named—Doors of Stone. If, again, by chance, you aren't familiar, I highly recommend The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. They rival Martin, in my opinion.

8. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't read any series until they're finished. So that is on my list, but I'll wait until he is finished. I've heard good things about it.
    Just started 'Age of Myth' by Michael J. Sullivan. I loved his Riyria series, one of my favorites.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m not much of a book reader, definitely more of a long form guy, but decided that with the lack of entertainment options I’d give a few books whose excerpts caught my eyes online.

The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova. It’s a writer that decided to dive into poker full time to learn more about herself/philosophy/decision making etc. I really enjoyed it as it was just deep enough to feel like I was “learning something” but still a fun read. I’m planning on trying of her other books since I enjoyed the writing style.

The Vapors by David Hill. This is a look at Hot Springs history as a gambling/mob town. I’m only 40% through, but not impressed so far. The excerpt I read online to draw me in ended up being the opening of the book, and it’s been the most interesting portion so far. It follows several different people in small chunks and constantly bounces back and forth between them. I assume it’s going to eventually bring them all to a head based on the intro cliffhanger, but I prefer more linear storytelling so it’s easier to track each person’s story. The last book I tried to read prior to these was Devil in the White City, and I had the same problem with it. If one story is more engaging I don’t want to cut over to some other folks that aren’t for 10-15 pages each.

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson. Too long, much old ground recovered, still well worth the slog if you like to read about England during the Blitz, which is the book's focal point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Breeze147 Intensity - Dean Koontz - read that a few years ago and scared myself so bad... it was a good one!
    An oldie that is not a classic but a good read, The Other Side Of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon... - Sidney Sheldon is such a good author

@Happygirl21 - I see we have the same devotional book!

I read so much -- sometimes I read the same book over -- I also like holding a book - I have a kindle but its not as enjoyable as holding the book... this is a sampling of what I am reading - usually I share my books so don't keep many at one time.. IMG_20200727_160745559.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy fictional, mystery/who-done-it books, so at the moment, I'm back into the Perry Mason novels.

13. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love David Baldacci...Robie and Reel, and the Memory Man are my faves, I also like the two brothers that were in the Army, and one landed in jail..that was also a gift. I have learned a lot about weapons from those book, never shooting one myself, but knowing how they work..haha

I like Harlan Coban too..

14. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack the thread, but have you been watching the HBO series? If not, it is worth it, although this incarnation of Perry has no resemblance to Raymond Burr.

15. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen it, but I don't get HBO. Over the years, I have seen many (most) of the original series, though. Actually, I don't watch an awful lot of television, or movies. I seem to get more entertainment out of books, these days.

• Like Like x 1
  16. weegranty

weegranty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2020-7-28_4-35-26.png Just finished reading this.

17. weegranty

weegranty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Breeze147 I think I have read most of Michael Connolly's books,very good reading.The Bosch TV series is well worth a watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, because now I can put faces on the characters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To help ease my Vagas/gambling jones, I'm currently reading a novel called, "Tap City," about a poker tournament in Reno. It's just ok.

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it is excellent. Emmy worthy in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.