1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping for carry out food?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ReTriggerMe, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sura83

sura83 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre-Covid I never tipped for takeout. I still don’t at our local pizza place but do tip if we have it delivered. At the sit down diner we used to go to on Fridays I never did but do now when I pick up, same amount as if we were dining in. I feel like the amount of work required for the pizza is still the same as it has always been, and judging by the number of times I get a busy signal before getting through to place an order they don’t seem to be hurting for business.

2. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One local restaurant I sit at the bar and drink a beer while waiting for my carry out order to be assembled. The bartender takes my order and gets it from the kitchen and bags it in front of me. I’ll tip on the drink plus ten percent on the food because the person putting it together counts on tips. If it is a carry out counter the persons working there should not be expecting tips because they are paid minimum wage or better.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I’d throw a buck or two in the tip jar at a deli counter, I almost always pay with a card and previously didn’t tip for take-out. Delivery yes... take-out no.

I’ve switched that up since March and Covid and do tip for take-out. As others have stated, I know these employees are hurting and I want to show my support.

• Like Like x 2
  4. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually don't tip for take out (definitely for delivery) but during COVID have been adding 10% to the credit card charge or a buck or 2 into the tip jar. What I don't like is when they sneak an extra charge on the bill which has happened a couple of times - usually a $3 "cleaning" fee or 15% online ordering surcharge ie Doordash or Yelp that's not stated clearly somewhere. In that case, the fee is their tip.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're not getting much takeaway, but when we do we tip because these are small, local businesses both trying to keep the lights on and as importantly being there for us. We bought gift cards from several local services and eateries to help them out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We eat out and/or get take out each day, and we tip on the take out orders as these establishments and employees are like a 2nd extended family to us since we see them weekly

• Like Like x 1
  7. RC

RC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip for carry out and I also tip more at the places I go to more often as I've become friends with a few of the servers in these places. Like the first time that I saw my Chinese friend when they opened for carryout my lunch was like $9.xx and I just gave her $15 and told her that I missed not being able to come in when they had to close. Near the end of each year in December I also have developed a habit of tipping in the places that I go into most often the amount of a normal meal once a year on top of the price of the actual meal.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre virus don't tip for pick up or drive thru. Now I tip for pick up and sometimes drive thru if they are not too slow. Talking to you Popeyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does this tipping hold true at the arches and the King???

10. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it would, but I haven't been to either of those. I never go to the King.

11. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally I round up, rather than a percent when doing carryout.
    Can't remember the last time I had delivery.

12. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all responders. This shaped my thinking
    1. I will start tipping on carryout, as a contribution towards keeping the place open - at privately owned restaurants.
    2. I'm just not wired to add a tip at Chipotle, El Pollo Loco, Starbucks or the grocery sandwich counter.
    3. I question some interpreted motivations. Who is getting the gratuity when there is no waitstaff? Payroll (CA) plans/calculations require setup for with or without tips. The places from which Ive carried out in CA have no dining, inside or out. So tipping likely just means paying more for my food... to an owner or manager. If a waiter is now just filling orders, he no longer qualifies for reduced base wage in consideration of tip-income - if they've set things up correctly; that ex-waiter-now-runner/filler isn't getting tips. (Generous, thoughtful owners may share tips anyway) The only benefit to waitstaff is that it may help assure there'll be a job someday.
    4. Not part of my original question. But I feel I'm helping a bit by refusing to use grub hub, doordash, etc. There were some fascinating news pieces here in SF Bay that restaurateurs were actually losing money due to the fees they pay the delivery apps. So I phone in an order and go get it.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/05/its-time-to-stop-using-grubhub-seamless-forever/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/13/small-business-third-party-apps/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I won't tip for takeout. My means are very limited and every penny counts.

14. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i always have tipped for takeout- $2 for most orders, $3-$5 for very large orders. This does not apply to fast food and Dunkin, which do not allow tipping (at least around here, I know some Dunkin's do, but all of the ones near my house have posted notices that tipping is not allowed. BTW: I have a choice of 6 Dunkin's all equidistant from my house...it's a very RI thing).

Since Covid my takeout tip has increased to the $3-5 range, generally $4. There haven't been very large orders, so not sure what I would tip for that, probably $5-10, but no groups = no large orders.

15. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have ventured overnight twice in the past month for a couple of days. For wait staff in (patio/ lawn) Restaurants, I have tipped heavily- up to 40% for a Breaky purchase.

For early pickups during Covid, for sure 15%. But, my bank account is booming, because I can’t spend anything and the Gov is giving me bonus $ at every turn! And, expensive trips- like Vegas or Saratoga, are outta the question!

Everyone needs to assess their own situation. There are no really wrong decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes we do tip for take out. We always pickup, never get delivery.

When I got my haircut a few weeks ago, I tipped $20 instead of my usual $5. The woman who cuts my hair has been doing it for over 20 years and she had been out of work for almost 3 months!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting replies. So I'm a rather large tipper when in the restaurant or even when I get food delivered. I'm usually trying to help out the wait staff or delivery person who is underpaid.
    But it seems carry out I get cheap as I usually give $1 for each meal I order (usually 2).
    I'll have to reevaluate.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.