1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Big Ten likely to play conference-only football schedule in 2020

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by zoobrew, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to agree. I felt that way in making my MLB bets a couple weeks ago. I am going to wait until the last minute to ecide if I am betting on the NFL this year

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not getting my hopes up at all.I am writing off my Fantasy Football planning etc for the NFL as well..

4. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shit... I was looking forward to Penn St. coming down to Blacksburg this fall. Of course, the Hokies would have probably took an L so our record may be a little better lol.

5. nonahs

nonahs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are planning on Vegas during the Cards/Cubs series in September. I have no doubt that baseball start on July 24th, but have very little hope in the season completing 60 games plus Playoffs. Big Ten going to Conference only is the first leg coming off the NCAAF season. NBA looking sketchy at best in the “non-bubble”. These are just the first legs getting chopped out that could lead the NFL to have to make some drastic decisions this season. Alas, I digress.

6. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's see if I can win any one of the bets this year!

8. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the major conferences will follow suit, I’m sure. I’d be very surprised if there is any season at all, but money rules the day so they’re just buying time at this point. Conference only scheduling will be a death blow to non-Power 5 schools as they rely on the paychecks they receive to go get beat by 5 TDs every September. This will also kill off non-revenue sports at P5 schools, like you’ve seen at Stanford in recent days. Football, and to a much smaller degree men’s hoops, funds everything from an athletic standpoint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see this playing out on a regional basis, with a push to get a full or as close to a full season coming in certain regions and not others. I'd like to think otherwise but football in the SEC is a far different animal than in the Mountain West, or even the Pac-12 to some degree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn depressing, but I am enjoying some of the Australian Rules Football that's been on lately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often have my high grouse on when it comes to organized sports, notably at the professional level and decidedly with a few organizations like the endlessly tone deaf NFL and the IOC, to name a few. While I think way too many sports/organizations are trying too hard to shove 20 pounds in a five-pound bag right now, we need sports. They are simply too engrained in our -- collectively, across the globe -- psyches to just summarily dismiss them. Are they perfect? Not even close. Money-tainted? In many ways. Full of charlatans, dumbfucks and plain old misanthropes? Of course, but so is life. But sports are important.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Tony Kornheiser once said: we are East Germany with better food!

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes but I think that if a season happens, leagues will want the flexibility that a conference-only slate provides. Playing 8, 9, 10 conference games over the 15ish week window seems to be more realistic- maybe Nebraska & Wisconsin can play in Week 2 while Penn State & Michigan can’t. Just slide that PSU/UM game to a later week (I know that’s overly simplistic given what we’re dealing with nationwide). To me, it feels similar to how it’s way easier to work around a rainout in the MLB postseason when you only have to worry about 8 teams with many built in off days than it is when you’re considering 30.

14. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ken2v when were you commissioned to write a VMB tagline? For a first draft this is pretty good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pac12 will be next to go "conference only," mainly because they get beat up in their non-conference schedule every year. That's why Cal and ASU both scheduled a patsy like UNLV this year. Hockey may have a chance, but I think the odds are low for the NBA restarting and no one really cares that much about baseball. Not very optimistic about CFB and just hoping the NFL finds a way through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll remind Wisconsin of that. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.