1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Going to the pool when it's 110 or warmer.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bman77, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman77

bman77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming to town Saturday. The latest forecast I've seen is calling for multiple days with high temps of 110 or greater. I've been at the pool when it's between 100-105 before. How manageable is it when it get's this warm?

Spring 2024
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played plenty of golf at that point and higher, but no more. Whatever you do, use a good SPF product, reapply often and drink lots of water. A hat's a good idea, too. Consider a gazebo rental?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s great until around lunchtime. The pool becomes useless as it turns into warm bath water. Not pleasant....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me no issue spending afternoon reading a book fully in the sun in lounger and going for dip once in while, i have never bought a drink at a vegas pool (prices are to high)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Brandt

Brandt VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shade will be your friend

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. romeocasido

romeocasido High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    rent a cabana, get some drinks, and stare at the nice looking bodies that pass by. That's the only way I would do it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends IMO on how long you are at the pool.

For me an hour tops before 10 or 11 am at the latest I find is okay with no shade, as long as I've got my sunblock on and I'm cooling off periodically in the pool. If you are planning to hang out for a few hours then I believe shade is key. I like renting an umbrella, which allows for both sun or shade by just moving your lounge chair a bit. The cost of renting an umbrella (which comes with two lounge chairs and a lot more space at the Encore pool) is a small fraction of the cost of a cabana, which if I'm just there by myself or with girlfriend winds up being, for me, not a great use of money (or a comp).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was once in LV during a heat wave. Five day temps: 115-115-119-119-115. This is what I took from the experience...at that temperature, it's difficult to breathe. First, the air is so hot your lungs don't want to pull it in so it becomes hard to breathe. Second, donuts will melt. I had a package of Entenmman's regular old fashioned donuts in my trunk for eating in the room. By the time I got back to the hotel the donuts had conglomerated into one large cake thing. I never knew donuts could melt (meld?) but I've seen it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. Leeza14

Leeza14 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will want to wear your sandals up to the edge of the pool and then take them off right before you get in. The pavement gets hotter than, well, you know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be perfectly honest, it doesn't seem to matter once you are in the pool. They must actively cool the pools because they are always on the chilly side no matter how warm it is out (in my experience).

The wearing sandals at the pool thing is sage advice though. The decks can get really hot.

Other than that, it's fine. The whole "it's a dry heat" thing really is true. I'd rather be 110° in Vegas than 90° in Michigan.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Vegas24_7

Vegas24_7 Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find that the hotter it is outside, the better it is for the pool area. I don't know if you've experienced the same but damn that water is cold! I don't do the pools often but my experience in the Mirage, Luxor, Bellagio, Mandalay and PH pools is that the water temperature is very cold considering the surrounding desert heat. You would think it would turn warm after being in 100+ degree weather but no. Or maybe I'm just a pansy.... hehe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cabana, short stay or max time in the water. Sitting in place at 110 degrees is not fun. I would also keep cocktails to a minimum out there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sprocket

Sprocket Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me the hotter the better, but I normally lounge in the shade. Two things you need to worry about in that heat are

1. The bindings of your books melt, and will start to fall out in chunks
    2. When waiting for the traffic lights to change, don't stand on the black asphalt in flip flops, they will melt to the asphalt and you will come flying out of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    USBC Nationals
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bstew

bstew Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would suggest flipping your footwear over (soles up) once you get to the pool, the sandals can get hot on your feet once you get out of the pool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MARK

MARK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my third summer living here in Vegas. I came from Canada so much much hotter. I have found a hat is the saving grace. Makes all the difference for me. Still lots of sunscreen but keeping the sun off the top of your head and forehead is they key. You especially don't feel it when you are in and out of a pool but the sun is getting your head you just don't feel it. Just did two nights at GVR 8+ hours both days at the pool and no issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bman77

bman77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input. I'll generally plan on mornings at the pool, but I think I need to go one day during the brunt of the heat just to experience what it's like. The hat idea seems good. Unfortunately I'll be using the small Binions pool, so no shade or umbrella options there. Probably lots of time in the water.

Spring 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would recommend a bandanna by the pool because you can wet it as you get out of the pool to put over your head and that's awesome when it is hot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I am stating the obvious but just remember in Vegas generally and definitely by the pool to hydrate heavily with water!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.