1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM trip before big fight...

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by the nuts, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

When we realized De La Hoya and Maywether were fighting on may 5th we decided to make a trip before that day to avoid the crowd. We chose may 1-4 because we could get a good deal and still see some of the action while still avoiding the big mess of the weekend.

So, when we arrived in the afternoon on may 1st, I was amped to use my new found $20 trick. I was ready for airport check in and my hopes were high. We get off the plane walk down the escalator to only find the MGM airport check in closed for renovation, what a drag. At this point I was thinking, it going to be that kind of trip. So i pressed on with a positive attitude thinking things will get better.

We got our bags and went to the new car rental facility. This place is nice and the people at the counter were very helpful. I thought it was a good idea to have a car rental place outside the airport until I had to return the car (I will get into that later). I had reserved a mid size and was upgraded to a full size, so Im feeling a little better now. We get out to the garage and the guy points to the full size car area and says pick any of those cars. Great I walk over and see a limited edition Chrysler 300, thinking nothing of it, I get in and the guy runs over to stop me. "Whats the problem?" He says "this must be a mistake, this is a luxury car." I figured it was, but thought I would give it a try. I said Ok and moved over to a Dodge charger. Then the guy says you know what, just take the 300, dont worry about it. Score! $17.00 per day for the limited 300.

We get to the MGM and its packed, which we didnt expect. Well it turns out the entire computer system had gone down and they were checking people in manually, like the old days. Im still amped about the $20 trick, so after waiting in line for 20 minutes I went for it. The guy takes the ID, CC & 20 bucks, but he puts the 20 on the counter and says we do have upgrades but not complimentary. DOH!! Failed (thats what I thought). He says we can do a Celebrity Spa suite for 30 bucks extra per night. I said great lets do it because I ws only paying 59 per night. Thats still a good deal. Well I guess with all the problems they were having he never charged my card, so it was free. I have been checking evey day online and no extra charges. Keeping my fingers crossed.

After getting the keys to the room, we are walking through the lobby and a gentleman dressed in a suite says, "hope everything was ok". Me being a big B.S.er I said, "things are fine, but after that long wait seems like you guys are gonna be giving out a lot of comlimentary buffets". He immediately pulls out a business card and says, "when you get to your room call down and tell them I said to pur 4 comp buffets on your account". Niiice. It turns out he is the VP of hotel management.

Still May 1st PM: we did some gambling, up and down and down again. Droped a hundy but got free buffets and upgrades so its ok.

May2nd: get up late, hit the pool at the MGM. Its nice weather, not too hot, and pool was pretty crouded. Only problem is, a lot of retired folks, not much of a young crowd. All in all it was a nice pool with nice weather so cant complain.

We get back to the room and wash up to get ready for dinner. Hit the grand lux at the venetian, as always great food. Then we went to Danny Gans across at the Mirage. I must say I didnt see many young people, but the show was good. I thought the guy was very talented and I got most of his impressions. I think only 2 impressions I didnt get because it was before my time, but it was really cool seeing this type of show.

Back to MGM and some black jack. Got beat up again, dropeed another hundy. I always like to put aside the gambling money for the day as to not exceed my limit. To me, its very important not to throw away money when on a bad streak.

May 3: Get up and do some shopping. Out to the outlet store on charlston st. Spent a few hours brousing around, bought a few things, then it got too hot so we left. Back at the hotel we take a like afternoon stroll to NYNY and Excalibur where we found some $5 blackjack. After a few hours picked up about $100 and left. On the way back we had a sandwich from the NYNY deli, which is great.

May4: time to leave. go to fill up the tank on the rental and drop it off. Well the traffic was so bad, it took like 30 minutes just to get from MGM to the rental place. Ridiculous considering its only a couple of miles. Then the buses transporting people to the airport were overcrowded and tons of delays at the airport.

All in all the trip was fun, except for the last day. Cant wait to go back!!!:peace:

2. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice score on the rental and buffet comps. It may take a while for your room to hit your card because they had to do everything manually then some poor slob is going to have to enter everything in the computer. You can always hope that they lost your paperwork and then you would have really got a good deal.

3. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking the same thing about the manual paperwork, but he actually took my card and swiped it into his computer keyboard. So i think im off the hook :thumbsup:

4. LVLady

LVLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice trip report thanks for taking the time. Looks like we will be in LV about the same time!!!

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a nice trip. How was the room upgrade. Was it worth the extra $$?

6. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, Im going June 17th. Im hoping it doesnt fall through.

7. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% woth it. I still havent been charged for it so Im happy. :thumbsup:

8. FL Mary

FL Mary Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed your report! Nice that you got the room upgrade for free.

9. VermonterJohn

VermonterJohn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spa Room?

Did the Celebrity Spa Room have a 2 person spa, or just a single tub with a few whirpool jets? Can't tell from their website.

Thanks.

Did the room have flat screen TVs?

10. emtee

emtee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good report. Not long till we are there at the MGM. We will try for a Spa Suite upgrade with the $20 trick. Cant wait.:drunk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.