1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

3 days to decide - am i going?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by FuzzyDiceCraps, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am supposed to leave Monday morning at 7 am from Columbus, Ohio.

For the past few weeks I have repeatedly bounced back and forth from "I am definitely going and going to have a great time!" to "There's no way I am going" and everything in between.

When I booked this flight last May I did it when it looked like July would be a perfectly safe time to go. I booked the flight a while ago for dirt cheap and it is fully cancelable so long as I do so by Sunday.

I am really missing Vegas, but I'm just not sure if its worth the hassle to go out there right now and I'm leaning toward cancelling and shooting for this fall. If I cancel the flight, the credit is good until May 31, 2021, I would hope I definitely get out there far before then. I go to Vegas to gamble and drink. And just let loose, and I'm not sure Vegas is going to offer the same level of all those as before.

Not really asking any questions or making any statements. But thought it might help my consternation if I put my thoughts out there for the world to see....

Taking the wife to a work conference
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JMHO, if you'd be happy with a "dumbed down" Las Vegas, then go. If you really need 100% Las Vegas, save your time and money.

I'm going Sunday on a NPO comp at Bellagio, and I have $4000 of comp money to spend, so I know I'll be OK.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in the end, it really is just your decision. Responses here will bounce back and forth from "Sure, what are you waiting for", to " No way in hell"........................

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think the 2 responses above perfectly sum it up, and only you can really know if you should go.

All the best, whatever you decide :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep.

6. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like everyone has said, it is your decision. Ask yourself some hard questions. Things that helped me decide to go:

• My friends are enthusiastic about it.
    • I did a trial run at a local that is strict about safety - it was acceptable with a few hiccups
    • I checked out menus of places I want to eat. Some items are not being offered, but I am still okay with it.
    • I read some reassuring information about flying in this environment, helped ease my mind.
    • I was approved for extra time off work, so I can keep my co workers safe, just in case.

That last one was key for me. Now that I don't have to immediately return to work, I think I can enjoy myself safely. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously it is your decision. I've cancelled June Seattle and Vegas in July and September. Not sure we will get there this year. That would be the first time in over 40 years I wouldn't visit. Oct, Nov & Dec are still scheduled but doubtful.

8. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I'm leaning toward cancelling and shooting for this fall"
    With the data coming from the reopening causing more pauses than acceleration of reopening, it is a gamble to expect this fall to be any better than right now. Public consumption of alcohol is more and more being targeted in the fight against the spread of the virus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. oldaquaman

oldaquaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we have been going to vegas on a regular basis since 1982, but at our age (mid70s) I'm starting to have my doubts about whether we make it 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travel, per se, can be no more exposing than the weekly run to the Piggly Wiggly. It's the how and where of it. Every venture outside the nuclear domicile is about the how and where of it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same hesitation and decided to come. I’m having a blast. It’s different, but it’s still Vegas. I feel safe, comfortable and have had no issues other than trying to get an Uber. I say go!

• Like Like x 2
  12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad to say I have canceled my August birthday trip. Was supposed to go in April too but we know how that turned out. Seeing the numbers coming out of Vegas, I just felt it wasn’t worth the risk.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for Christmas in Vegas. 2020 bites!

• Like Like x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did our first getaway last weekend. We assessed where we were going and what we might encounter -- and reviewed the resort's COVID announcements and plans -- hauled along our masks and sanitizer, physically spaced per recommendations, and also chose to leave an establishment/setting or three where we just didn't feel comfortable with the layout and how people were behaving. Again, what YOU will find out there is rather immaterial to what others are finding out there because we all Vegas/travel in our own unique ways but now the wildcard is this contagion and how it might impact us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @FuzzyDiceCraps I feel like you and I kind of have similar styles on how we do Vegas. Drink hard, gamble, and let the world take us where it wants. I had a hard time with the decision until about 2 weeks before my last trip. Glad I went and am pumped about going back soon, especially since the masks are going to be mandatory this go around. It's really not as big of a pain in the ass that it seems. I think if you went you would still have a good time. It's different, but, it still beats the hell out of heading to the office each day you would be gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kip

kip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I believe it depends on if you like to stand next to the fire and feel it as singes the hairs on your arm or look from afar and wonder what it feels like to stand next to the fire.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hector

Hector Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think long,Think Wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on your mentality. If your mentality is to make the best of crazy circumstances and find the adventure in it, you'll probably have a good time. If your mentality is lament the differences and challenges, then you won't have a good time.

Unfortunately, I'm in the latter camp at my current stage of life. I don't want to see Vegas any other way than the way that I like it because the effort for me to get out there is so great. That's why I'm not going until likely next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you've read the boards much lately, especially TRs, you have a good idea of what you're looking at. Of course, reading and doing can be different animals. I don't think there'll be much difference between now and fall except lower temps. I'm sure guidelines will be the same. Just go with your gut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We absolutely seem to have the same style with regard to Vegas. Your TR was one of the few things that prevented me from cancelling a week or so back. Right now I'm leaning toward going. But its definitely a game time decision.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I've trolled all the TR's and news reports, but sometimes its just nice to hear people's thoughts absent a political or policy slant.

Taking the wife to a work conference
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're all gamblers here.

Flip a coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.