1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon day trip

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Michael Sproles, Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't hurt. I normally just put in the park to get me there, but not on WAZE.

I don't love the West Rim. My parents went there to save time, but they had the same complaints. No view at all, unless you are paid and on their property. And the prices are not cheap. Even if you aren't walking on the Skywalk. But they are closer to Vegas and are reopened as of a couple weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dedhd

dedhd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True you do have to pay, but so too at the South Rim. IMHO the experience was worth the extra money as there were Hualapai in traditional dress. My wife struck up a conversation with one of the elders who then drew on to a piece of sandstone and presented it to her as a gift. When we were there they were just starting to build the sly-walk so it was not an option. I believe there is an additional charge for that. South Rim is outstanding but in the interest of shaving 5 hours off the round trip West Rim is an option.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the Skywalk in 2016 a bit touristy but worth the trip.. Why no fencing on the edge is beyond me I wonder how many fall in for taking a selfie 024.JPG 034.JPG

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one of those endlessly debated topics here. And there is no "right" answer. The one that works for us -- make the GC a destination of its own as part of a western/Vegas getaway -- won't work for others because of the time away from Vegas. Different strokes ...

5. gadgets19

gadgets19 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.JPG
    No, no and expletive NO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first couple of miles of south rims trails, going down to the ranch, have large railroad ties going across. They are for erosion control These ties can be hard on the knees. A nice, mostly level, trail is the rim trail. It is twenty miles long hugging the edge and you can get on and off numerous location and catch the shuttle bus back to your starting point. Check out the NPS Grand Canyon site for more info.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great tip, as I would like to hike a but but don't have the best left knee.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  8. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, the Grand Canyon is simply one of the Wonders of the Planet! Full stop. ANYBODY, who is still breathing, should make the effort to go there and view its stupendous, jaw dropping beauty. If you are a frequent traveller to Vegas or Zona, it’s beyond a no brainer.

Now, for the details. NO chance would I EVER take any of those Bus Tours from Vegas! You need to take your time and some here have planned perfectly by booking into the adjacent Lodge for viewing over at least 2 days. Via Phoenix is much easier, btw. As for the cautions, there is a pic I took of my very athletic, young daughter, beside a pic of a cartoon puking from Dehydration, along with the words: “Death May ensue.”. This is NO joke... especially in the heat of the 100 degree summer- should you decide to do the walk to the bottom and back. Be very careful and assess your physical abilities before deciding!

Alternate? As mentioned, the West Rim, easily accessible from Vegas and only about 2.5 hours- max. You go past the Hoover Dam too, so double bonus round. Some consider it a rip-off. I consider it a simple Visa payment to the Hualapis for being ripped off from their land, 150 years ago! Buuuut, also as pointed out, there are few, if any guard rails and no member of the Tribal Band security is gonna stop any foolish moves!

Last November, we chose this option for a friend that had the Canyon on their bucket list. He was quite pleased, although sickened by our other friend (with multiple physical ailments) who chose to pose like this! Two feet beyond is a drop of about 5,000 feet!

Whatever happens with the Hualapis, gets outed on VMB!

FE0658AF-6865-4302-A7CC-F33D3F59BC28.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.