1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Green light into sadness

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Tru2Vegas, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There have been quite a few threads on this subject. From what I remember, a big negative was the lack of quality health care in the area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several hospitals and clinics have been built over the last few years and I don't think it's as big a negative as it used to be.

TomTWI

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless of the number of facilities, healthcare in Las Vegas is in the bottom five in the country. You can check Healthgrades online if you like which is ratings for all US Hospitals that provide care for Medicare patients. You can also look at ratings on Leapfrog which is a quality watchdog. You won't find LV hospitals with high rankings on either. Part of the problem is HCA dominance in the marketplace. When this for profit system isn't fighting legal challenges for fraud, they are figuring out new ways to funnel money back to Nashville and away from the communities they serve. The lack of LV healthcare quality is surpassed in incompetence only by our 50th rated Nevada educational system. Welcome to paradise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Mississippi of the West?

5. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are reaching for the stars in our efforts to vault past Mississippi into 49th place.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say from personal experience that the healthcare system in Las Vegas leaves an enormous amount to be desired. Emergency/urgent-care medicine, in particular, has been nothing but frustrating. It reminds me of the health insurance at one of my old companies -- it was fine as long as you didn't get sick. What I find most frustrating is the administrative incompetence; I'm sure the doctors themselves are decent (and the nurses were truly awesome), but they have no idea how to navigate their own system.

For what it's worth, I've had far better, cheaper, and more efficient dental care in Vegas than I did back east. And my PCP is fine for routine stuff (though I use telehealth for a lot these days). But the hospital system is really far behind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LindaP

LindaP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I retired to Texas 14 years ago. Before we made the decision we did all the research and did our due diligence to make the best decision possible for us. And then we gave ourselves permission to be wrong. That really relieved the stress. We thought we'd be happy in Texas (and we are), but we told ourselves that if we were wrong - well, we'd just try again somewhere else. We rented for 6 months so it would be easy to pick up and leave if we decided to. Give yourself a break to be wrong. Best of Luck!!!

- Linda in TX

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Liondownnow

Liondownnow Local and Lovin’ It

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My spouse and I retired in Las Vegas nearly 6 years ago.

In regards to folks talking about losing their favorite vacation destination- We spent every possible vacation in Las Vegas until our move. We lost sight of the rest or the Country and World. We now go to several destinations and have enjoyed seeing so much that we were missing out on before. The bonus? We come home and live in Las Vegas! There is something going on in normal times 7 days a week.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. I always tell people that I'm lucky to live where I vacation.

The other bonus is that people are always passing through. I see people more often here than I did back in NYC, including people from NYC.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love all these testimonials, whether from Vegas-residers or those who simply want to visit and not live there.

12. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spent the first 10 days of "opening" in Vegas.
    Rented a car & went off Strip a few times.
    Checked out Summerlin/Sun City Summerlin/Red Rock area as well as Green Valley/Henderson.
    My observations:
    DH can get a well priced golf membership to 3 courses in the Sun City area. We do not HAVE to live in Sun City to get this.
    We can get a nice 2BR townhome in Sun City for $275K-325K. I want fairly new finishes, patio area.
    But the median age in Sun City is 73.3 & we are mid-late 50s. Not sure a good fit at this time.
    Summerlin is running about 10-20% more for a similar property.
    Henderson prices are 10-20% lower than Sun City for similar properties but there aren't any golf memberships with as good a value as the one in Sun City.
    Plus most of the townhomes I saw there are 2-3 levels, few with patios.
    So Henderson is a better value but doesn't seem to be exactly where we want to be.
    Sun City has the right price, right area & what I want in a home. But is the neighborhood right for us?
    Summerlin is the where we want to be...but we will either have to increase our budget or compromise on finishes.
    We aren't doing anything until next spring at the earliest...so we shall see...

• Like Like x 1
  13. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in several residences in Sun City over the years. I liked the area a great deal. Very quiet is my impression overall. I wouldn't let the age thing be a deal breaker I'm sure you will find enough people in your age bracket to socialize with.

TomTWI

• Like Like x 2
  14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just thought I would pipe in. While living there in a gated community (Centennial Hills area), living in Vegas is not like living in a neighborhood. At the time, we were mid-50s, but age really didn't matter. You rarely saw neighbors, except maybe to wave. We walked the doggie every morning, but rarely saw other people. At home on the patio, you heard other people on their patios behind their cinder block walls, but it's not like you could walk over when you saw the neighbors outside. You can't see them! Our area didn't have a community rec area.

Before you commit to a golf membership, check out Painted Desert GC and look into their golf cards which can be purchased at quite a discounted rate.

Good luck with your move!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.