1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A weekend getaway in the Sierra

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

On early Friday morn we loaded up with masks, hand sanitizer and our gear and headed off to the mountains, putting in at the Hyatt Squaw Creek Resort for two nights. Squaw? Yep, site of the Olympics:

IMG_0927.jpeg

We had a comfortable suite at the resort -- which is also a timeshare property -- of nearly 700 s.f. with a semi-kitchen consisting of a small fridge, good-sized sink, coffee maker, two-burner Wolf cooktop and a dishwasher:

mJOKvsziQc+mneOQ4io24Q.jpg 4E4Wu13VRE21gJyMbPSIsQ.jpg

The sweetest part was the view, however:

xGsP4ZkQRpCjkwuG+NcItw.jpg GwttYCFmTmKAN3pbufXAPw.jpg

• Like Like x 12
    • Love Love x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    beautiful in the summer. I have only been there for skiing in the winter, and that was many moons ago

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are huge fans of summer season at ski resorts -- around Tahoe, Mammoth, Whistler, Bend/Bachy. It's kinda weird being in such settings, this time of the year, so many moons removed from my uber-addicted days as a skier, and knowing how much I've changed and that sport has changed. The memories flash back in an instant. Anyway, smart hill operators long ago learned not to leave money on the table just because there's no snow and the days are warm and long. Squaw certainly isn't summered up like Mammoth, Whistler or even Northstar; still plenty to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was glurpy when we arrived on Friday, the usual airborne shit from the valley and several fires making it less than clear, even at the lake. Physically distanced lunch at Jake's still had us lakeside, however:

5XIWaTOfQ0Oiv0hD2Qn9%Q.jpg

And then we played golf:

ZiLCSQALSfiM8d65fqBosQ.jpg

We'd planned an afternoon round one of the days at the Links at Squaw Creek but the winds convinced T otherwise and I wasn't going to argue.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have spent mucho time around Mammoth over the summer months as we used to stage our long Sierra hikes either beginning or ending in Mammoth. Yosemite to Mammoth. Red's Meadow loop around the JMT. Loop around the upper Mammoth Lakes. Some of those backcountry lakes and meadows are absolutely gorgeous!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That looks heavenly! Thanks for the glimpse.

Part of our September trip may include Park City, we haven't decided on the final itinerary yet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Love Love x 1
  8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You certainly did the animal thing many times. We have friends who do the John Muir most summers. My Mammoth days as a kid, camping with my dad, revolved around lots of fishing and of course farting by the campfire. High country backpacking was something I got into after we moved to Oregon when I was 13, mostly around St. Helens and the Three Sisters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And we learned there's such a thing as poblano liqueur. Get out?!?!?!?

QDm0%u+MRTG3JwSpFC8wcg.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 5
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few food shots ...

Vf%GxdGdSuqP52URRmGh0A.jpg

OK, that's actually beer. We were waiting to order dinner at the pub at the resort. (Note savvy, caring travelers have hand sanitizer and masks.)

And did you know you can get a pizza without meat on it? I had no idea. Fireside Pizza Company in the village (beer, again):

tdukDtyVQXWl9N%4TfropA.jpg cW3VDKI2Tpe8mQtVZb4naA.jpg

Starter and dessert at Six Peaks Grille, Hyatt Squaw Peak. Little gems and a deconstructed s'more. Guess we forget to shoot our scallop and sea bass mains. We took a bottle of 2012 Melville Estate Pinot. Give the captain a pour, no corkage. That's an old German trick, Or maybe it's Greek:

gJA+3uQPTGyr5TJJtomtEw.jpg HVqhre6RS5S73aDe7k15FQ.jpg

Breakfast yesterday morn, in Tahoe City. Fire Sign Cafe:

tlABEY16SQWNDnTrlOMPUw.jpg A0nj9FmTSj6NGjWNLN7Hjg.jpg

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  11. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all looks really good!

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was our first getaway since the shit hit the fan. We've not been hiding in the cellar or anything, as T has gone to work every day, we were out and about buying a new vehicle earlier, with weekly retail runs be it the brewery or the bakery, the farmstand or the grocery store, and I've been doing (properly separated) group bike rides; just no getaways.

Tahoe was a mess in the sense of really quite packed. We never made it off the northwest shore -- Tahoe City and Kings Beach. And it looked like summer. At the resort and across the meadow at Squaw village it was a lot more tame, lighter crowds, as to be expected. Up on the hill we noticed excellent compliance with the mask order, and retailers and restaurateurs were heavy with signage and prodding those not wearing a mask; obviously it was cool to remove once seated, but we always put ours back on when the servers came by because, well, they are on the front line and making it possible for us to be out having fun. The hotel also had prominent signage about only solos or immediate pods in the elevators at any time, and almost all were observant. You might have to ride out a few elevators before an empty one arrived; people were cool. As we noticed elsewhere, those who insisted on boarding -- and generally being lax about masks and separation -- were overwhelmingly younger adults. The stipulations included masks while walking about the resort and village. Hand-sanitizer stations were ever-present.

Other than two meals and that quick "round" of miniature golf we didn't spent time at the lake, preferring the near solitude of the valley/mountain. Again, the proprietors were doing all they could, masking their employees and pushing for customer compliance; some obviously refused. But the large groups milling about, people dining in what obviously were far larger than their home/nucleus pods, and the hordes on the Truckee rafting, were another matter The raft time was like us riding our bikes, not a thing, out in the open. But they all had to eventually queue up at some point getting on and off the river, and being shuttled back in busses, and most faces were bare from what we saw.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for our golf tourney this past weekend, they wanted to shuttle us out to the course in a 14 person Sprinter van. I said no way in hell! I chose to "pay" ( the tip) for a limo driver to take me out there rather than be packed in with 13 other persons and their golf clubs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's an awesome bike path connecting Squaw to the lake along the Truckee River. I should've stopped along the way and taken a few shots of how gorgeous the river is, but I was too lazy pedaling along to do so. Here are the kids, and us:

ENRLhY0jTsOR35hyT4jQEA.jpg

0qnuqmvFRZOUITMbP4IDPw.jpg 7v8dDTxYTq67V8b9jly17A.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  15. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great pics Ken. I'm envious. I actually still have my Masi Star—Reynolds tubing—with all Campy components, but haven't been on it in years. The thought of squeezing into some chamois has me shuddering. You're obviously an athlete. As for me, I'm happy just to hit a five iron 150 yards. Glad you had a good time.

16. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like a gorgeous weekend!!!

And that dessert - YUM!

Seriously though looks like great weather and a nice time. I gotta get back there.

17. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. That looks like a fantastic outing. The scenery is super. Those larger earth mounds are not like anything we have in Florida.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You picked a good weekend to be out of the SJV.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, man, driving through Madera County yesterday ...

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Michael, but no athlete here.

Steel is real. And Campy ...

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.