1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coronavirus Antibody Testing

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by marksind, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The American Red Cross is offering free antibody testing to anyone giving blood or platelets. At least here in Washington, it's almost impossible to get a reliable antibody test unless you've previously been proven Covid positive. A couple of national outfits offer tests for a fee, but they use a variety of tests and caution that results may not be accurate. The test the Red Cross uses has FDA approval and is 100% selective and 90% sensitive, so if it says you've had it, you have. But there's a 10% chance it will give a false negative. By both giving we pretty much eliminate that problem. If one test is positive, we've both had it.

My wife and I are giving blood tomorrow. They say we'll get the test results in seven to ten days. We're interesting because we think there's a good possibility we came down with the virus right after our five-day Super Bowl trip to Reno. Yes, I know that having antibodies doesn't prove immunity. Regardless, if we find out we've had it, we know how it affected us, and other than being nasty it seems to have done no permanent damage.

At least around Puget Sound, the offer has been an incredibly effective marketing ploy. Centers are scheduled out into late August. We're driving 180 miles to Vancouver, Washington to give. Needed an excuse for an outing anyway. The Red Cross doesn't say how long the offer will continue, but they imply it will go on throughout the summer.

Edited to add link - https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/covid-19-antibody-testing.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. TiffyChick

TiffyChick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for donating blood! A blood donor saved my life - without donated platelets I would not be here. I, and all those in my shoes, appreciate your selflessness more than you know!!! :blowkiss:

#giveblood
    #givelife

Solo because YOLO - June 9-14, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up. I will check around me in Florida to see if they are doing the same. I am O Negative so they love getting my universal donor blood.

• Love Love x 1
  4. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to donate blood. :(

5. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Underrated band as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.