1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What things make or break a room for you?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Hyperfocal, Jun 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't mind them before, but it's just dangerous for me trying to get in/out of them now that my legs don't work lol.

The only time i'll make an exception is the Rush Tower at the Nugget. I love the place enough to risk it, and they have a semi disabled room where the side of the bath is lowered.

Even most Holiday Inns have a walk in shower in the last few times I've used them, and only the Travelodges have the PITA combos!

Agree on the last part, too. Wasn't until I went back last year, that I remembered just how much I love the place, and unfortunately for my wallet, I'll have to incorporate it into my future trips at the expense of my gambling budget. I think it was BeeJaay who said 'comp yourself' :)

2. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make...Floor to ceiling windows with a kick-ass view of the strip. Love to sit in front of the window with a cocktail or glass of wine and watch the Vegas strip change from light to dusk to dark...O.K., maybe more than one cocktail.

Break...small room, no view and no door on the water closet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A nice-sized bathroom with a shower that actually drains. The standard rooms at The Mirage failed the test miserably. Those bathrooms are beyond terrible. Even on a comp I wouldn't take one of those again.

4. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Room must have a bed, I find it nearly impossible to get my maximum of 4 hours of sleep without one!:beer:

• Love Love x 1
  5. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only two true "deal-breakers" - non-working or weak A/C & a miserably uncomfortable bed.
    I've endured both in the past...but not anymore (for the last 12 years or so).

What always provides a pleasant surprise is:
    1. The room is already cool-to-cold when I walk in.
    2. The light switch at the door actually turns on a light in the room - not just right at the doorway.
    3. The bed is softer than I expected.
    4. There's a down pillow, typically on the top shelf of the closet or armoire/clothing cabinet.
    5. There is a working coffee maker with at least two packs/pods of REGULAR coffee.

Annual Spring Trip!
  6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can stay almost anywhere and be happy if there are no creatures crawling in the room and the shower has good pressure.

Don't even need the high end amenities some staff offer, blonde, brunette and red.

7. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a bath tub guy I need to soak my ass to relax and meditate properly, if it's a dinky or funky tub or just a shower that's a no go/DNR.

Fridge in Vegas is important.

8. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Same here! I used to be happy just to be in Las Vegas, but not anymore. I guess I'm spoiled :haha: The way I view it is I'm only there for a short time and I'm going to enjoy every possible bit of being there.

Break: Weak shower pressure and showers that drain slow.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Noise from the next room
    THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS TO ME !!!!!!!!
    We've all had it.
    I especially love the TV left on HIGH volume -
    when the neighbors leave the room for hours.
    Oh ?.......that will certainly protect your room.......

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rooms way at the end of a looooong hallway. I want to be able to get back and forth to the room more quickly and easily.

11. JOA 1

JOA 1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must have a comfortable bed with firm pillows. A shower with a large shower head so I can be in and out as soon as possible. A safe - mainly for my travel documents. Good air conditioning and blackout curtains. Preferably not too close to the lifts or any ice machines.

12. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't really have any dealbreakers, though our experiences haven't been bad. I guess if something is bad enough, then it becomes an issue. The absolute worst room we ever had is one that I would walk out of in 99% of circumstances.
    IMG_0242.jpg
    They only had 1 queen bed; Wifester and Kidster slept there. I took my chances being swallowed by this thing.

IMG_0243.jpg
    Gotta love that clever way in which they hid the cables! Gotta love that dirty pillow! No, I didn't use it.
    IMG_0245.jpg
    They call this the "distressed" look, I think.

Normally I'd demand my money back and raise nine kinds of hell. But... it was a stopover at 1am on the way somewhere else after spending 12 hours at a volleyball tournament, I couldn't drive any longer, we were leaving at 7am, and there was nothing else nearby. The lady at the desk said it was the only available room (lucky us!). We all slept with our clothes on and prayed that there weren't any bugs.

I guess our dealbreaker is an IDGAF attitude from the people who take care of these places, but in an extreme situation, we begrudgingly accepted it and I hope like CRAZY that I'm never in a situation like that again.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
  13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last thing I want to see now is a bed with a patterned bedspread. Those things hide a multitude of sins.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a fun thread @Hyperfocal !

Mine are based on being at a more comfy level NOW. it doesn't mean I'd never come to Vegas again if I couldn't get these, it's just how I pick from rooms now.

Important to me:
    1) Good bed
    2) floor-to-ceiling windows
    3) No shower curtain---walk in glass or open shower
    4) triple sheeting vs. Comforter
    5) at least four pillows per bed
    6) blackout curtains
    7) Quiet enough

Not as important to me
    :
    1) Distance from elevator
    2) Specific view. I want a PRETTY view ideally, but I'm just as happy with a mountain view as strip view
    3) room service
    4) mini bar
    5) toiletries. I'll bring from home if I don't like.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  15. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most important:
    • Soaking tub
    • Floor to ceiling windows
    • Not too close or too far from the elevator
    • Outlets on the nightstand
    • Highest floor I can get for free
    Preferably:
    • Great view from the bed as I wake up super early
    • Access to more than the nightstand light from the bed
    • Button to open/close curtains.
    • Fridge
    • More than just a barrel chair to sit in outside the bed
    • No connecting door
    Best things ever:
    • View from the soaking tub
    • Tub has jets
    • Lots of automation (lights/drapes/music)
    • A real table, not just a desk against the wall
    • Ice maker
    I always search for floor plans for the hotel if I have not stayed there before. I have had fairly good luck asking for specific rooms numbers with a range of floors. I try to remember to take pics of the map on the back of the door. I love rooms that are next to housekeeping closets. They are usually very quiet. Sometimes you can get an idea of the view from the map. It’s also helpful to know the elevator ranges so you are on the first few floors of that bank. Knowledge is power.

I found out that the top suite floors at Bellagio have great double rooms. I asked for one and was able to snag it. They normally don’t rent them because they have to keep them for suite guests who need the extra room but she found one that had the adjoining guest in for longer than my stay. I was able to use the vip elevator (and the bathroom on the first floor) which made it even better. I never took advantage of the snacks or water though, didn’t want to push my luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess you weren't fan of this culinary delight,,,,

[​IMG]

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @andyg99 that’s awesome! I can’t say I’ve ever had it!

Happy birthday to me!
  18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often bring some disposable plastic cups for wine in the room. Don't trust the staff to clean those glasses as well as I like.

19. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overall I want a clean room, a comfortable bed, comfortable pillows (some of the worst I ever had were at a fancy Hilton), a door that securely locks (because I'm normally alone), a bathroom with a fan that works to remove the humidity (not an issue in Vegas) and I'd prefer a walk in shower.

We all have been forced to live with the bottom end of the spectrum at times. I decided a couple years ago that the hotel pics in the post coming below was no longer acceptable for us and I would pay the double cost the other hotels were charging for the big car show we go to (cancelled this year). It used to be a Days Inn, however it became so bad it lost the franchise a couple years ago.

20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Non connecting if at all possible. The worst rooms for comfort was MGM in a connecting room on more than one occasion.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.