1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the coolest aircraft you have flown on?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Hyperfocal, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Business Class to Brazil also came to my mind first. My work paid $7000, for the ticket to get me there. Maybe not what was asked, but an experience l would like to give my wife sometime, though not to Sao Paulo.

Then I remembered my first fight ever, in a C119 Flying Boxcar.. bench seats, noisier than an explosion.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Like Like x 2
  2. meliphilus

meliphilus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Due to early childhood vision problems I gave up my flying aspirations early. However, on the geekier side of flying, I've seen declassified documents indicating my father tested a 1/4-scale model of the X-lE airplane wing in the wind tunnels of Langley AFB while working for NACA circa 1957.

3. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Air Force One, or another call sign? I imagine that would be a nice ride.

4. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've ridden on a helicopter twice.......well, almost twice.

The first time they plucked me out of the ocean on a cable, hoisted me up to the helicopter door, and then dropped me back into the ocean. Picked up by a boat shortly thereafter.

The second time, they hoisted me up out of a mangrove swamp on a cable, and flew me back to the base. They landed on the ramp, right in from of the squadron hanger. Very convenient. :D

Nothing serious in either case. Just training.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep and it wasn't too shabby lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CoconutWilly

CoconutWilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2020-6-16_17-51-19.jpeg

Hawaiian Air's first aircraft. A 1929 Belancca CH-300 Pacemaker. It did turn my stomach a little.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VeddaLasVegas

VeddaLasVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While in the Air Force I took a few hops (free rides) home. I've hitched rides on T-39, C-130 and a C-5. The C-5 impressed me the most.

8. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess mine would have to be a Goodyear blimp also back in the 80's

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw a C-5 sitting on the parking ramp at Pax River. It's front cargo door was up and there were four (4!!) of those huge military fire trucks parked inside and there was still plenty of room left over. Just simply mind boggling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early years of doing deer surveys in the old Bell Helicopter's like in the Mash television series. True story: From time to time when doing the survey we would detour off line to go find a stray head of cattle that needed to be herded toward a gate or pens. These were usually the renegade type that would stay in the creek bottoms or heavy brush so the pilot would have to get pretty aggressive with the chopper to get them to move. After we landed I noticed the pilot with a spray bottle with some type of solution and a rag cleaning green stains off the main rotor blades on the helicopter and I inquired what he was doing. His nonchalant reply was "just cleaning the stains from the leaves of the mesquite trees from when we were chasing them damn cattle". We now use the 4 seater R-44 helicopter for deer surveys and leave the cattle herding to someone else.

11. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back around 1968 or 1969, the first C-5A was just rolling off the assembly line, at the Lockheed factory in Atlanta. My friend's (who lived across the street from me) father worked at Lockheed, and they had a family day to celebrate the plane (and the government contract, I'm sure). They invited me to go along, and we all got to walk through a C-5A, out on the ramp. Plus, they had another C-5A flying that day, and we got to see it land. It was a pretty fun day for a couple of 11 year old kids. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The coolest aircraft? A Southwest 737, lol.
    BUT we got to enter from the tarmac. It was cool being on the ground.

13. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The coolest:
    [​IMG]

Also:
    C-5M Super Galaxy
    C-17 Globe Master III
    C-130 Hercules
    CH-53 Super Stallion
    CH-46 Sea Knight

14. Slidey1

Slidey1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably pretty boring compared to the others here, but I did get to take a round trip on a Gulfstream G550 for work once. Amazing trip and I enjoyed every minute of it!

8BE848AE-FA23-49B0-993C-8ED21E54A742.jpeg
    DF13549E-AEDC-41ED-9B24-50C6608DAA91.jpeg
    24A94B12-F688-405C-A99D-B103CC54DDE9.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  15. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are right by Niagara Falls Air station. Last night, either every KC135 ( I think? - 4 engine grey) was going somewhere or they were practicing take off and landings. I saw 5-10 basically go over my backyard. Some veered north after and some veered south.

16. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just gotta say how impressed I am at all of the anecdotes in this thread. Between corporate jets, military aircraft, and even personal rigs. Especially the latter - having been a city-dweller pretty much my whole life I had no idea how common these recreational type planes were.

While not airplanes, I've had the pleasure of flying on a Airbus EC130T2 helicopter on a flight over the Vegas strip at night (with Sundance) which was amazing. Also did a hot air balloon ride west of the strip too. That was very fun for the novelty of it, though I can say it got old after five minutes, particularly with the heat of the flame combined with the desert heat. Landing was a bit of a scary experience too. It was definitely a "one and done" for me.

[​IMG]

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cessna 150 for me. My dad's boss owned one and he asked my dad if I'd like to go for a plane ride. I was 7 or 8, it was my first time flying, and I still remember it as well now as I did 40 years ago.

The coolest aircraft I've ever been on? A V22 Osprey at New River MCAS in Jacksonville, NC. Didn't fly in it, but walked around in one.

18. Bcartel

Bcartel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was able to fly a F4U Corsair once. Memorable to me because the aft cockpit and the Corsair's long nose made landing treacherous on my maiden flight.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You win.

20. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Mudhen. Never flew one but understand the torque is strong on takeoff too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.