1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the coolest aircraft you have flown on?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Hyperfocal, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stuck in some kind of quarantine and not wanting to fly, I started thinking about the aircraft I've flown on...

My top choices were a B-17, Ford Trimotor and the best was a B-25. The B-25 was just an amazing sportscar of an aircraft.

After that were rides on a couple C-130s, including a combat landing approach while I was hanging on to the engineer's seat, taking pictures. After that was a KC-135 back in the boom operator's area as they refueled fighter jets.

Biggest disappointment was not being able to fly on the Blue Angel's Fat Albert during a practice due to weather. Still have a cool challenge coin from that, but will never again be in the position to fly on that aircraft, since my job has changed. Another disappointment is that it looks like I'll never fly on a 747, since they are being retired at a remarkable rate.

I actually know a guy who has an F-86 Sabre, but it's a single seat aircraft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember back in the 2000’s seemed like everyone in Houston had a Mig-21. They where going for like $60K but cost like $3000 in fuel for like a 30 minute flight. Everyone had one but no one flew them. I did ask a few times though. Was hoping some supplier might be able to write it off as a business expense.

3. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think ... well I havent been on a lot of unusual cool planes for a flight, but I flew on a DC-10 when everyone was afraid of them, the coach seats were larger than modern business and domestic first class, meals were steak or lobster served on real china with real silverware, and included a deck of playing cards, a pin on set of wings, and lets dont forget the ashtray in every arm rest! And I flew on a 757 when they were brand new and very cool (dont recall the airline but it still had the Boeing livery giant 757 numbers up the vertical stabilizer having flown demo and not yet been repainted). It's a matter of perspective, but I'll have to go with DC-3 that was fully restored to late 1930's or early 1940s commercial spec, complete with tables and meal service, and wooden seats. For a very short time, someone ran this plane commercially as a novelty flight between central florida and Nassau, and I knew people who knew the right people and got to hop on an empty seat for a round trip one evening spontaneously. Very cool. But I sure did enjoy first class in a Dreamliner, so much I'm taking it again on my 4th of July trip.

My brother spent a short time travelling to fly-in doing PR for embry riddle in their planes, and I recall him mentioning about Migs (but I think he was talking about 15 or 17) and a particular lockheed jet from same era being available at all of them for $100k or less and how almost everyone who bought one either lacked the skills or money to fly them. Also have a friend who owned a Folland Gnat for a while, but I believe the is a 1 seater also, and regardless, I never got a ride.

Edit: I forgot one kind of crazy one - I flew on the Eastern L1011 tail that later crashed in the Everglades and has all the haunting stories! Before the incident, obviously.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown on quite a few different planes, and I do admit that often times I don't really pay attention to what kind it is, but there are a few that I do remember, and I guess you would call them cool, maybe.

Mid 1970s, Boston to Cape Cod one weekend. PBA Airlines (the one that got their license yanked after having a couple of planes crash into the Florida swamps) old DC-3. When you boarded the aisle was steep and you were seated facing kind of upward, as in a thrill ride that was about to start. Hold that thought. They then announced that due to wind, they would be taking off so that there would be a sharp turn right after takeoff and do not be alarmed. We ran down the runway and lifted off and then just like in the movies, a zooming turn with the buzzzzzzzzzzz of the motors. Most definitely a thrill ride! (You may now release that thought.) :)

Speaking of thrill rides, and I haven't flown out of there for maybe 10 years, but it used to be this way most every time. John Wayne Airport, Orange County. They would sometimes announce that due to noise issues they would be taking off very steep and do not be alarmed, etc. Sometimes they did not announce it. OMG! Like blasting off to Mars in the Space Shuttle!

I'm not totally comfortable flying. (Actually, I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of crashing!) All kinds of stories about every part made by the lowest bidder and pencil-whipped inspections and such. After those awful crashes in Chicago and Sioux City, I took pains to be sure I did not fly on one of those again! They did have some kind of "it's not really a DC-10" upgraded plane, but I always asked them please not to book me on one of those. Fortunately they have not flown those for years.

I have flown the 777, which was really uneventful.

One thing I do hate about the jumbo jets are the really sucky center-center seats!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some small Cessna type plane in the 70s, I was like 10. The pilot and my dad sat in the front seats and me and my brother sat on our coolers behind them. The plane had water floats as we going rough camping on some roadless lake in Canada. On the way back the plane had some electrical problems and we made an emergency landing on some lake that had people and a road.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in th 70's I used to fly for skiing on North Central Airlines (The Blue Goose) to the Michigan Upper Peninsula on a Convair CV-580 prop airliner. I still remember the seats, they were like flying in a laz-e-boy recliner. The pilots for North Central could fly through almost any winter weather and I remember a few white knuckle landings.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it would be cool to fly a B-25. That plane had raw power and I am sure was something you had to control or it would control you.
    For sheer fun try flying this old WWII trainer, PT Steerman.

steerman.jpg
    I have flown some Russian built fighter jets to test their capabilities.

As to the question, as a passenger I go back to the Steerman. My first ride the pilot let me handle it for a while. With the wind in your face you felt like you were really in the elements.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5532.JPG IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5532.JPG I was lucky enough a couple years ago to get as my birthday present a flight on the Lancaster, one of two remaining in the world in flying condition. Over 7,000 were built! One is based in England and one here in Hamilton, Ontario. It was the thrill of a lifetime. It was the loudest environment I have ever been in. Everything was hand signal. I could be two inches from your face and you could not hear word. We were allowed to move around from almost the tail gunner spot to just behind the pilots. We took off from Hamilton and flew across the lake and circled the Rogers Centre while Blue Jays game was on then crossed back over Lake Ontario and did a couple loops around Niagara Falls before landing. I have to admit I was feeling a bit nauseated but, kept it together. I think it was more from taking photos than the flight as I normally don't get motion sickness.

Attached Files:

• Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband was building an RV-6 when we started dating. He finished before we got married, sold it a couple years later. But that was pretty freaking fun to fly in - except I do *not* enjoy aerobatics! And it's an aerobatics plane....

[I grew up flying in small planes - my dad & uncle had a Cherokee 6 for a while - my dad, uncle, husband & FIL are all private pilots - so small planes don't bother me. If I'd had any interest in getting my own license, we'd probably have a plane still - but I never wanted to learn to fly myself]

• Like Like x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very front seats on a 747 - those that are forward of the pilots.

First class on Airbus 380 with shower and lounge area.

Back around 1970 - they had wide bodies (DC10?) that flew from Chicago to West Coast with a lounge in coach.

And another, not so cool after the first 15 minutes. C-141 from Phillipines to U.S. Was mostly cargo, so we sat in web seats along the side.

11. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This reminds me, and I'm not sure I would say the plane itself is especially cool, other than the noise of it and the performance, but the coolest 'ride' I've ever had was in a 2 seat trainer Ag Cat. It was a 'gut check' ride given by a school when I was trying to enter to get a commercial ag license. Had issues with the FAA and medical, and that's the only reason I'm not doing that for a living. But on that flight, on multiple passes, we went 125 to 150 knots at about 8 feet AGL, headed straight at a row of tall pines surrounding the field, which we only missed by a few feet every time. We also flew under some power lines and tipped wings to intentionally just barely miss a cell tower. Then the instructor let me fly the plane back to the airport. He even offered to let me try a few spray runs but I wasnt comfortable having not flown a plane in almost 20 years at the time. But I had a smile painted on my face for about a month after climbing down out of that thing!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blackhawk helicopter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Native Horn

Native Horn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did not actually fly on it, but had the pleasure of taking a tour of one of the Sultan of Brunei's wide-body planes (Airbus A-3xx, don't remember exact model). A friend of mine worked for a company that designed the interior and livery for heads-of-state, down to the china/flatware, entertainment systems and blankets used on board. We got to tour the aircraft before the Sultan came to pick it up (he typically flew his own aircraft).The Sultan had several wide-bodies, smaller jets (Gulfstreams) and helicopters. Yes, the plane I toured was past gaudy, but still a cool experience.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

8 feet AGL is something to remember. Experience is key to flying like that guy did. I only flew that low once when dragging the hook in the Med. Then I was younger and more stupid then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not the "coolest" but probably the only person on here to have flown one: Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-18.

• Like Like x 1
  16. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think so. Old Russian airliner from the 50's but some still flying.

17. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been in a B-17 but wasn't willing to spend the money for a flight (regret it now). I have also been in a Constellation and a C-5A, but was not offered a flight in either one. Had an opportunity to get a supersonic flight into Canada on a Concorde at the Osk Kosh air show back in 1988, but could not afford the $800 price tag (was laid off at the time).

18. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_4684.JPG IMG_4685.jpg Hubby used to have this little guy.....sold it a couple of years ago but it was a fun little ride.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  19. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some old single engine thing... Nothing fancy, but, my cousin let me take it off the runway and fly it right up until it came time to land. He was a flight instructor, so I was in good hands if something came up.

20. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy answer.

The Vegas flights that landed at least 20 minutes earlier than expected!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.